Replacement for Grapefruit?

Options
It seems so many plans call for eating grapefruit. But I cannot eat it due to a conflict with medications I take for my heart. Does anyone know about any replacement for grapefruit and how much of it would replace 1/2 grapefruit? Thanks!

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Don't pick a plan with foods you can't eat. Better still, don't pick a plan! Make a plan. You can eat anything you want. MFP tells you how much.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Why follow a plan? "Eat the food you like plan" is better. Oranges instead grapefruit?
  • TheFatBrokenGirl
    TheFatBrokenGirl Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Grapefruit is around 42 calories per 100g and oranges are 41 calories per 100g so you could substitute the same amount and it would be fine. If you're following a meal plan then the substitution should be fine but diet plans will demand you stick to what is on the plan because they are convinced it creates fat burning (eg the Military plan). Diet plans don't really work in the long term but meal plans are fine to follow if it helps you eat better or food prep etc. You can always substitute something you don't like on a meal plan for a similar food.
  • eclecticpixxie
    eclecticpixxie Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Grapefruit is around 42 calories per 100g and oranges are 41 calories per 100g so you could substitute the same amount and it would be fine. If you're following a meal plan then the substitution should be fine but diet plans will demand you stick to what is on the plan because they are convinced it creates fat burning (eg the Military plan). Diet plans don't really work in the long term but meal plans are fine to follow if it helps you eat better or food prep etc. You can always substitute something you don't like on a meal plan for a similar food.

No its not like the military thing. There's a balance but they included grapefruit and I was just wondering if anyone knew of any fruit that could replace grapefruit with the same calorie count and benefits, that's all.

• artbyrachelh
    artbyrachelh Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    What about cranberry relish? 1 bag of raw cranberries, 1 orange, 1/2 c honey; chop in food processor. It's got a sour punch to it (like grapefruit) and so fresh and satisfying! Good luck! (My daughter is on coumadin so I know what it's like to not be able to mix certain foods with medicines).
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    toxikon wrote: »
    I assume you've been looking at those restrictive crash diets that recommend you eat grapefruit, cabbage soup, plain toast with 1 egg, etc...

You assumed wrong sorry. I was looking at menus for for 1300 calorie menu plans and they called for grapefruit. Nothing nefarious dude.

Lady, not dude. :) Any citrus can replace the grapefruit. I personally still don't see the point of following meal plans when you can just eat whatever you want and lose weight, but to each their own!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I had to avoid grapefruit too. I also vote for oranges.
  • TheFatBrokenGirl
    TheFatBrokenGirl Posts: 22 Member
    Options

No its not like the military thing. There's a balance but they included grapefruit and I was just wondering if anyone knew of any fruit that could replace grapefruit with the same calorie count and benefits, that's all.

I would just go for oranges then, assuming you like them. If not then pick another fruit you love and go for that.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Something you like for around 50 calories? Any oher fruits and vegetables in appropiate quantities?
    Strawberries, melon, small orange, blueberries, blackberries, kiwi, peach, tomato, cucumber, celery, broccoli, carrots, peppers, etc

https://www.womansday.com/health-fitness/nutrition/a30/50-best-snacks-under-50-calories/
    https://www.purewow.com/food/50-Calorie-Snacks