Deload week vs. week off

Options
I know it's important to have a deload week to give your muscles a break. But is there ever a time a week off is beneficial? Meaning not stepping foot in the weight room, but still remaining mildly active. I know you can end up coming back feeling tighter and even weaker, but was curious what everyone's take on it?

A small percentage of this may be stemming from my need to validate my want to take some time off after going ham in the gym since mid-January.

Replies

• gamesandgains
    gamesandgains Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Every situation is different. I've taken a week off because I needed a hard reboot mentally and physically. Sometimes it's needed. However, I generally just do a deload if my body is taking too much stress over a period of time.

You can take a week off the gym while remaining active outside of it. Just a thought.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    I know it's important to have a deload week to give your muscles a break. But is there ever a time a week off is beneficial? Meaning not stepping foot in the weight room, but still remaining mildly active. I know you can end up coming back feeling tighter and even weaker, but was curious what everyone's take on it?

A small percentage of this may be stemming from my need to validate my want to take some time off after going ham in the gym since mid-January.

I've actually hit more PRs in the weight room and on my rides after a weeks vacation where I didn't really do any dedicated exercise. I think full stop rest can be very beneficial.

Too much break isn't going to be good though...
  • laurenbastug
    laurenbastug Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Yeah, totally get that.

I'm thinking I could reap more of the mental benefits from the week off. But like mentioned, not too long that it hinders progress.

Thanks!
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    I've taken two weeks off (it was involuntary, but still). When I came back to it, I easily set new PRs shortly after getting back into the swing of things.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    powerlifter's generally take the week off before a meet so they are ultra fresh on meet day.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I don’t take weeks off. I do take light easy weeks after my major competitions.

When I’ve tried taking a week off, my body just doesn’t like it. The nerve issue in my neck and upper back flares up and takes a month or so to calm down to normal levels. Joints ache from the lack of work. It’s just not worth it for me.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    I deload when my muscles/body call for it... I take time off when my mind calls for it.

deload = physical break
    time off = mental break.

At least for me.
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I'll sometimes take a week or two, to do different type workout altogether. So I'll do dynamic stretch routines, yoga, pilates, isometric routines or maybe an aerobics session. I find that if I take a week off from heavy lifting, I come back to weight room with a fury, and have really strong week. That's when you get those beloved sore muscles from doing it right.
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    I deload when my muscles/body call for it... I take time off when my mind calls for it.

deload = physical break
    time off = mental break.

At least for me.

Agree totally