Warmup.

Options
What is your go-to warmup before working out?

Replies

• aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    What sort of workout are you doing and where? The logistics of warming up if you're riding a bike are going to be different to warming up if you're running, than if your lifting weights at a gym, and likely different than if you're lifting weights at home.
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    dynamic stretching and flexibility. Like jumping jack, running in place, windmills, arm circles, hip circles, trunk twists. I try not to stretch the muscle pre workout, I save stretching for post workout. I try to focus on limbering up my joints prior to exercise, paying closer attention to ones that we be used in the workout. I used to never worry about it and jump right in, chalk this one up to getting old.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I have a long list from my trainer, specifically to address issues I deal with.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

It entirely depends on what I'm doing.

For running.. walk/slow run

For Strength training Mobility/stability drills, appropriate to the movement being attempted.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I’m currently doing T-25 and since there isn’t much of a warmup with this program I like to do a few stretches and light jogging 5 minutes before I start it.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Running is my main exercise so my warm-up is... running slower.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    5 min walk
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

Depends what I'm doing, long run or ride then no specific warm up, if I'm doing a workout either running or on the bike I'll spend 15 minutes at an easy pace; 10 min/mile or 130-150 Watts.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Strength training is my focus so what ever lift I'm doing, I do 4-8 sets with anywhere from barbell only to 95% of my working weight. Anything more is inefficient and a waste of time.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    depends on what I'm warming up for...
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Depends what I’m warming up for.

Squats and deads, I just start with the bar and work up from there.

Bench, I do some shoulder dislocations until my shoulders feel good and then start from the bar.

I don’t do any stretching or real mobility work. It only destabilizes my joints in the long run.
  • optionsguy88
    optionsguy88 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Jog
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Depends on what lift I'm warming up for.

It will always be a progressive warm-up of that movement gradually adding weight till I reach my working sets.

I also use resistance bands to warm up and activate my lats a long with getting the blood flowing into my shoulder. They're the weak link in my chain so getting those joints lubed up and warm is a must.

Along with the occasional abductor and flexor stretching prior to squats.