pcos irregular metformin

Options
This is one for the ladies ...
Was just wondering if any of you are suffering from pcos and with weightloss did it improve im 160lbs and 5'6 so not massively overweight but im currently only getting periods every 3-4 months
Also did any of you use metformin and did it help i am taking 1000mg a day and havent noticed a difference apart from tummy aches and for about 3 weeks feeling as if my period would start but it hasent
:/

Replies

• stpetenative
    stpetenative Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi I just wanted to say that I hope you get some answers. I was about your size when I took metformin but For me it was an aid to help get pregnant. I do remember it helping me get my weight in line too.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    No PCOS here but long time Metformin user. It is really good at controlling insulin resistance. You might not notice all it is doing until you aren’t taking it any more.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS. I had been on and off of birth control for years to regulate my periods. When I lost weight, my periods became regular on their own for the first time in my adult life. And I didn't even have to wait until I reached a healthy weight...things started to get more regular part way through the weight loss.

I have never been on Metformin, so cannot offer any insight on that.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Depends on what specific types of improvement you want to see. Metformin helps treat insulin resistance and related insulin-function problems that often accompany PCOS. I took it specifically because my cholesterol and triglyceride levels didn't respond to any medication until I also took metformin. After losing about halfway to my goal, I was able to stop taking all of those medications and manage my lipid levels without needing prescriptions.

I honestly can't tell you what either metformin or weight loss has done for my periods, however, since I've either been on the pill or had an IUD ever since I was diagnosed with PCOS.
  • deeblues13
    deeblues13 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Hi I just wanted to say that I hope you get some answers. I was about your size when I took metformin but For me it was an aid to help get pregnant. I do remember it helping me get my weight in line too.

I have 2 kids already one concieved naturally when at my slimmest and going gym everyday the other being on metformin for 3months i didnt have a period during that time so didnt think it was working as i wasnt 3months along when i found out guess my bodies just random... so annoying did you end up getting pregnant while taking it ?
  • deeblues13
    deeblues13 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    I have PCOS. I had been on and off of birth control for years to regulate my periods. When I lost weight, my periods became regular on their own for the first time in my adult life. And I didn't even have to wait until I reached a healthy weight...things started to get more regular part way through the weight loss.

I have never been on Metformin, so cannot offer any insight on that.

I guess ive never been regular even before i had kids and was around 120lbs but it was better than it was now i guess its just finding that balance
  • eviiem
    eviiem Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies! Came across this thread im new to trying to figure out how to add people. I have Pcos and doing Low Carb to try help it. Ive done low Carb before and lost a lot of weight and periods regulated felt better. Long story short i hurt my back fell out of plan so back at it again now! Would love to add some people that are along the same lines as myself so if you would be interested in being support buddies or whatever please add
  • stac3wa
    stac3wa Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS. Been over weight for years with no period at one stage for 18 months! I don’t take any meds, have never been offered them... Drs just said to lose weight. So I did. I noticed that for every 3-4 lbs I’d lose, I’d have a period. So for me personally it’s helped the symptoms.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,946 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    deeblues13 wrote: »
    This is one for the ladies ...
    Was just wondering if any of you are suffering from pcos and with weightloss did it improve im 160lbs and 5'6 so not massively overweight but im currently only getting periods every 3-4 months
    Also did any of you use metformin and did it help i am taking 1000mg a day and havent noticed a difference apart from tummy aches and for about 3 weeks feeling as if my period would start but it hasent
    :/

I was irregular for most of my life until I started taking Prometrium, a natural progesterone. I felt it helped me sleep better, too.

I'm not longer taking it, but am still regular...30 days like clockwork, which is weird because I'm almost 52 and would have expected to start being crazy irregular by now.
  • kimothyschma
    kimothyschma Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have PCOS and I didn't notice much improvement from the metformin. I was on it for about 2 years, and recently went off it after losing weight. My doctor warned me I might see irregular cycles if I discontinued it, but they've stayed the same. Losing weight was the only thing that shortened my long cycles. My cycles shortened from 40 days to 26 around the time I got under BMI 24. I am now at BMI 22 and consider myself in remission.