12 Hour shift meals

Options
I work 12 hour shifts on the overnights from 6p-6a with a 45min travel time each way. I go to be at 7a and usually get up between 2 and 3p. Eat at 345ish. Have some fruit at 830ish and 11. At 1 I have veggies and have my next meal at 2/230am and some more fruit at 430a. When I get home I pretty much go to bed and do it all over again.

What does everyone else do that works 12 hour overnight shifts? I know I'm missing a meal but I am not hungry for it and I obviously do no want to eat just before I go to bed.

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    It's o.k. to eat before bed unless in interferes with your sleep. Instead of looking at a daily amount of calories, some people look at a weekly amount. In other words, eat more on some days according to work schedule and less on other days.
  • carrotsaregood
    carrotsaregood Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    If you feel satisfied with your meal schedule I wouldn’t worry about how many meals you have. If your calories and nutrition is good then you should be good.
    If you are looking for ideas, I’d suggest less fruit. Maybe add proteins (more hunger/ full satisfying to me) like cheese, cottage cheese and peanut butter. I like eating a lot and often so I plan 200-400 calorie meals.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Why exactly shouldn't you eat before bed?

I pack 2-3 sandwiches. 2 protein bars. 2 pieces of fruit and a full coffee along with 2L of water minimum.

I also have a small breakfast prior to work. Then workout after. Followed by a large meal consisting of a grain and protein. Usually with some form of liquid calories shortly before bed.
  • 76Crane76
    76Crane76 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Night shift is tough those are long hours. I remember I really craved carbs and sugar when I did it so as long as you're eating healthy and staying away from those 2 things I think you're good!
  • cedmunds1986
    cedmunds1986 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »
    Why exactly shouldn't you eat before bed?

I pack 2-3 sandwiches. 2 protein bars. 2 pieces of fruit and a full coffee along with 2L of water minimum.

I also have a small breakfast prior to work. Then workout after. Followed by a large meal consisting of a grain and protein. Usually with some form of liquid calories shortly before bed.

I really don't have an answer about why not to eat a big meal before bed. Just something I remember hearing from somewhere and it just stuck with me.