The Stupidest Question in the World

Options
kr3851
kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
Ok guys... I need some help.

I can cook amazing foods... I have an endless supply of recipes and am always experimenting...

BUT

I don't know how to boil an egg.

Please tell me how.

And how do you know if it's done?

Replies

• tayteetots
    tayteetots Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    soft or hard boiled?
  • karenkwalker
    karenkwalker Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Fill a pan with water and place the egg inside - bring the water to boiling - then set a timer for 10 minutes - when the timer goes off remove from the stove and run cold water over it. Once the egg is cooled you should be able to peel it and eat it. Good luck!
  • kerrylou150
    Options
    put eggs in a pot

cover with cold water

bring to boil

put cover on pot

pull off heat and sit for 20 mins

take out of hot water and put eggs in a ice bath. (the ice bath will keep that strange green ring from forming.... learned that from my restaurant days)

Even if you forget the eggs are on the stove they won't over cook because they are not on the heat. I have forgotten them for over an hour once and they weren't rubbery or tough at all.
  • pinkita
    pinkita Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Yes, don't do more than 10 mins because then the egg will be stinky when you peel it :)
  • HeatherYevette
    HeatherYevette Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    put eggs in a pot

cover with cold water

bring to boil

put cover on pot

pull off heat and sit for 20 mins

take out of hot water and put eggs in a ice bath. (the ice bath will keep that strange green ring from forming.... learned that from my restaurant days)

Even if you forget the eggs are on the stove they won't over cook because they are not on the heat. I have forgotten them for over an hour once and they weren't rubbery or tough at all.

This is the BEST way!! How I do it too. :)
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Ok I'm going to give it a go tonight. Wish me luck!!
  • fitev
    fitev Posts: 41
    Options
    I agree, pull it off the heat and let it sit for 20...WAY easier to peal that way. Great question...I just learned this as well. =)
  • dmanic
    dmanic Posts: 7
    Options
    For hard boiled 15 mins from start (Cold water) to end (Boil) also use eggs that are at room temp and not cold (the're less likely to crack in the pot)
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    Fill a pan with water and place the egg inside - bring the water to boiling - then set a timer for 10 minutes - when the timer goes off remove from the stove and run cold water over it. Once the egg is cooled you should be able to peel it and eat it. Good luck!

^^^THIS. It comes out perfect every time :) It work even better if you have a small bowl of ice water handy to put it in to really shock it and stop it from cooking. If you do it like this every time, you'll have the perfect egg every time, without all that yucky green stuff on the outside of the yolk :P
  • sunrize_sc
    sunrize_sc Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Boil for 3 minutes, cover (for 10 minutes or so) put in ice water - it peels better if it's cool - then peel and eat! Bon Apetit!!
  • dodd319
    dodd319 Posts: 228
    Options
    Do what they said. I have to call my sister almost every time I make them!. And warm hard boiled egss are soooo good on salad with a little ranch & western dressings. Oh, so very good!

Good luck!
  • dodd319
    dodd319 Posts: 228
    Options
    Good luck!
  • ricochette55
    ricochette55 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    lol, I asked my boss this question a while back and his reply made me laugh so I kept it...here's what he said (he was telling me not to leave the lid on too long...or else...):
    "Let's just say that I know for a fact that you will be picking embedded pieces of eggshell out of your ceiling, if you let them explode. Remember, the egg is such a perfect weight-supporting, weight-distributing shape that you cannot crush one in your hand (only using one hand). The geodesic dome is based on the principle of the egg shell (you know, the Astrodome). So when it explodes it realeases an inordinate amount of energy for such a small package."

He cracks me up. Beware the exploding egg...
  • mamahawkins
    mamahawkins Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Also, the fresher the egg, the harder to peel. Use an egg you have had for a few days or let it sit on the counter for a day or two before you boil it. (it won't hurt since you are cooking it) Crack the fat end first and they usually peel very easily.
  • IMYarnCraz33
    IMYarnCraz33 Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    depends if you want it soft or hard boiled.
    i always put the egg in the pan with water and brought it up to boil...
    buttttt I just found a site where you wait for the water to boil then gently add the egg(s).

For soft boiled (cooked whites and runny yolks) cook for 5-7 minutes
    hard boiled about 10 minutes.
    I always add a bit of vinegar to the water too. it helps coagulate the egg if the shell cracks
    so it doesn't leak all over the pan.
  • kadoodle76
    kadoodle76 Posts: 234
    Options
    I do the boil then sit for 20 mins too. Also, I despise eggs that wont peel so peel them BEFORE putting them in the fridge. Once they get cold, they dont like to get nekkid!
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    It's not a stupid question. I had the same situ with boiling sweet corn last year. I'd always grilled it and never learned how to make it on the stove.
  • kadoodle76
    kadoodle76 Posts: 234
    Options
    depends if you want it soft or hard boiled.
    i always put the egg in the pan with water and brought it up to boil...
    buttttt I just found a site where you wait for the water to boil then gently add the egg(s).

For soft boiled (cooked whites and runny yolks) cook for 5-7 minutes
    hard boiled about 10 minutes.
    I always add a bit of vinegar to the water too. it helps coagulate the egg if the shell cracks
    so it doesn't leak all over the pan.

yeah! vinegar does keep them from cracking. forgot about that part.
  • OnMyWay2STay
    OnMyWay2STay Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I like to stir the eggs just once or twice while the water is boiling. It helps keep the yolk in the center (especially helpful with deviled eggs!)
  • jamie78
    jamie78 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I have always heard put salt in the water to make it easier to peel. I have forget it a couple times and it was a mess to peel. Not sure how or why it works but it does!