What is your craziest weather event memory?

Options

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I've had a couple close encounters with tornados. The first one happened when I was about thirteen years old, in the distant days before weather apps. My family had recently moved to a country place with acreage and we were in the process of having our stable built - the frame was up, but no walls or roof. I was standing in it with a friend discussing what it would eventually look like when the weather went from clear and sunny to grim - yellow skies except for one solid black line of clouds advancing, horizon to horizon. We decided to head back to the house, which was about three hundred yards away.

We had just about reached the future "door" of the barn when a strange black line dipped down from the thunderhead, like a big black witch's finger. "That cloud looks kind of..." I said, and about then it rushed towards us, unimaginably fast and loud. We didn't try to run because there was no time, we just stood there under the sky in the framework of the open barn and stared. About thirty feet from us, the tornado turned and went up the lane beside the barn, ripping the tops off the giant pine trees lining the lane and leaving them all twisted and splintered. It was just about the width of the lane, and never did quite touch down, just went by at treetop level. In less than five minutes it dissolved, and then the rain started, big, pelting rain.

My friend and I just stood gawping at each other. We didn't summon up the gumption to run for the house for several moments. The feeling of awe and helplessness in the face of something so big and fast isn't one I will ever forget.

My other close encounter was more recent, but still several years ago. The tornado which killed three people in South Memphis before hitting the already decrepit but still open Hickory Ridge Mall finally petered out and died about fifty yards from our house, scattering pieces of mall insulation all over our roof and yard. We drove around the neighborhood afterward and plotted the course from the debris, and it seems to have tracked in a straight line from the mall through some local businesses then across the Nonconnah Creek to the back end of our property.

In more pleasant memories, I have seen Green Flash, while boating with my parents, at sunset. Truly beautiful and I wish everyone could see it. Another good one is seeing twenty-three degree effect, which is a circular rainbow around the sun, with a silvery disk in the middle. I was visiting my sister in California at the time, and the rainbow was on the news, with local people wondering if it was an alien invasion!
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    Probably the Blizzard of '78. I was 7 and we lived pretty rurally at the time. Nobody was getting to us anytime soon so my brother and I dug snow tunnels in the middle of the road.
  • projectsix
    projectsix Posts: 5,088 Member
    Options
    I've never really been in any catastrophic weather but one thing that stands out to me is when I tried to cross the Georgia Straight in a 28' Bayliner Sunbridge weekend cruiser and everything was going fine. Gorgeous day, nothing reported on the weather radio. Then it starts to really swell up kind of out of nowhere, of course the weather station reports NOW about an incoming shift in wind patterns. The swells were absolutely *kitten* insane and it just got worse, and worse, and worse. We got hit with a pretty quick intense storm and I had to slow the boat right down to like 3-5mph almost nothing just to maneuver the boat to prevent us from capsizing ..into the swell which seemingly was going all over the place. It took us a solid hour of struggling through that storm to come out of it alive, but shaken. I thought for sure that's how I was going to go.

*KITTEN* YOU MOTHER NATURE YOU'RE MEAN
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    In high school a bunch of us were out boating on the river in a friend's dad's boat. The weather was perfect. 90 some degrees, sunny. Having a blast then out of nowhere the water gets super rough, rain starts pelting us. I look back behind us and start screaming "Go go go!" There was a water tornado coming straight towards us. It stayed right behind us till we could get to a landing and pull off to a dock then we watched it go on by. A few minutes later it was sunny and hot again.

Shortly after high school a bunch of us were going camping for the weekend about 4 hours away. We left after everyone got off work/school so it was dark in a severe storm. We were in a friend's van, packed to the hilt including a keg and pulling a boat. Apparently a light was out on the boat trailer. We got pulled over. Then they decided to search the van. Luckily they didn't find the illegal smokage.. ;) but all stood in the pouring rain on the side of the highway for at least an hour as they tried to search through all of our stuff. The wind was crazy, you could barely stand. Sirens going off all around us. Pitch black and you can only see right in front of you unless a bolt of lightening hits then you can see a bit further for just a few seconds. One huge bolt of lightening hit and we all saw a huge tornado in the field probably about a mile away. We dove in the ditch. Luckily the tornado was going the other way but you couldn't tell in that brief lighting from the lightening. That night was scary and I am still irritated those deputies put us in that kind of danger, they had to of known something was going on out there.

Last year my kids and I were home. A normal summer storm starts rolling through. Soon the sky turns green. Winds pick up, tornado sirens start going off. We head to the basement with flashlights and my phone for updates. Power went out. We heard horrible sounds. Things crashing into our house. The sound of trains going by. (we have no trains that close to us). Then it all stops. We go upstairs and start looking around. Our neighbor had a tree on his house, others have broken windows, porches. Huge tree limbs down everywhere, taking out fences. Power lines down. Trampolines, sheds, basketball hoops are thrown around. Except our house. The only damage we had was one fence panel down and small limbs scattered about. Our house was the only house in the whole neighborhood with virtually no damage. The whole town was without power for 4 days and weeks of clean up.
  • DreamAmalfi
    DreamAmalfi Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    c6ugpgxso73s.jpg

This little baby tornado was a couple miles from my house last year. It was only an EF-0 and did no damage. That was the day I was trying to get a puppy who was stuck in my car wheel free, as the tornado sirens were going off and I was getting hammered by hail. My daughter was trying to get the pup to come out of the wheel when she looked up in the sky and we both saw the twister.

These things are fascinating.
  • DreamAmalfi
    DreamAmalfi Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    While living in BC avalanches. Here in Arizona monsoons and flash floods. The haboobs are intense. Huge miles high and wide wall of dust rolls over everything and quickly.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,791 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I was stationed in Okinawa in 1974. A typhoon passed through. I was from Southern California and had never seen anything like it. We were restricted to the barracks, but I went outside and threw a full trash barrel into the air. It did not come down.
  • Just_J_Now
    Just_J_Now Posts: 9,551 Member
    Options
    I was stuck on the interstate all night during an ice storm. I left work at 3pm didn't get home till 8:30 the next morning. Eventually I had to walk for miles in the ice/snow. I was not dressed for that, I still can't completely feel my feet to this day.
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Crazy weather is a regular occurrence where I'm from in Wyoming. The wind contributes to most of it. Hurricane force winds in central Wyoming happen all the time. I remember vacationing in Florida one time seeing the In-Laws. We all went to this science museum. There was an exhibit wind tunnel that was supposed to show you what it was like to be in hurricane force winds. It blew I think up to about 96 MPH. There was a picture taken where my DH and I just sit there looking unsurprised, and next to us his parents are in shock by the wind machine. 96 MPH winds is called Tuesday in these parts! (Only a slight exaggeration). It's not uncommon to have days with 40-50mph sustained winds with gusts between 76-120MPH. That's just average. I've heard of gusts in localized areas much higher then that. It blows trucks over all the time, knocks signs over, tears shingles off roofs, rips buildings trailer houses apart sometimes during bad storms. Combine that with a snow storm, and you have yourself a nasty blizzard! People out here joke that they fall over when the wind actually quits blowing. The trees in my area all grow with a lean instead of straight up and down.

tgif-funny-photo-wyoming-wind-sock.jpg
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    I spent the Christmas of I believe 2008 or 2009 in Connecticut visiting my brother and sister in-law and my niece and nephew. It was unseasonably warm and didn't feel very Christmas like.

We flew home on December 30 and just before landing the pilot announced that anyone planning to head north to Santa Fe from Albuquerque needed to make arrangements for accommodations in town because the interstate was closed going north due to snow.

A lot of tourists were grumbling as Santa Fe is where most are headed. I was talking to the guy next to me and told him not to worry about it because we get a little snow in Albuquerque and everyone freaks out, but it usually melts within hours of the sun coming up and it's like it never happened.

When we got our bags and headed outside to catch the shuttle I was a little surprised because it was actually snowing...like a lot. We drove home and it was just plain nasty and we don't have a lot of clearing equipment or anything like that because heavy snow is such a rarity.

We woke up the next morning to over 2 ft of snow and it was still going through the following day. Everything came to a complete standstill for days because we just don't have the removal equipment. Pretty much everything was closed because nobody could get anywhere. The city contracted with pretty much anyone who had a tractor that could move snow. It took about a week for everything to get back to normal.

We get snow in Albuquerque, but it's typically no more than a dusting and it's usually gone by the afternoon...this was like a once in 100 years kind of storm for us. It was very cool but also kind of scary because we're just not accustomed to snow falling for 2-3 days straight and we're completely unprepared for something like that here.

• TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,791 Member
    Options
    TheRoadDog wrote: »
    I was stationed in Okinawa in 1974. A typhoon passed through. I was from Southern California and had never seen anything like it. We were restricted to the barracks, but I went outside and threw a full trash barrel into the air. It did not come down.

Where you an army artillery person by chance? My grandfather was in Okinawa for a good stretch but I think by that time he was doing missile stuff back in the USA. He and my mom talked about tsunamis that came...very, very sad. People didn't understand what was happening when all the water went out to sea and they had a really bad time.

I was in the Marine Corps. Telephone & Teletype Tech.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    There was an ice storm about 10 years ago. We had 2 huge maple trees in our yard crash down in the early morning hours. One barely missed the garage and house. The other took out the power line going to the house. You could hear tree after tree around town snapping and crashing all day. Everything was glittery. It was eerie.

We found out that the electric company was not responsible for the power line going to the house and we would have to get an electrician to deal with it.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Earthquakes are becoming a more frequent thing in Missouri (yikes) and the first and biggest one I ever experienced was about three years ago. We were living in a duplex temporarily and just had a new neighbor move in. Saturday morning at 7:30 am the doors of our bedroom and bathroom started shaking & rattling. I was like "WTH is this new neighbor doing over there that is so loud and crazy?" Turned out she wasn't even at home and it was a quake.
  • klkarlen
    klkarlen Posts: 4,366 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I spent the Christmas of I believe 2008 or 2009 in Connecticut visiting my brother and sister in-law and my niece and nephew. It was unseasonably warm and didn't feel very Christmas like.

We flew home on December 30 and just before landing the pilot announced that anyone planning to head north to Santa Fe from Albuquerque needed to make arrangements for accommodations in town because the interstate was closed going north due to snow.

A lot of tourists were grumbling as Santa Fe is where most are headed. I was talking to the guy next to me and told him not to worry about it because we get a little snow in Albuquerque and everyone freaks out, but it usually melts within hours of the sun coming up and it's like it never happened.

When we got our bags and headed outside to catch the shuttle I was a little surprised because it was actually snowing...like a lot. We drove home and it was just plain nasty and we don't have a lot of clearing equipment or anything like that because heavy snow is such a rarity.

We woke up the next morning to over 2 ft of snow and it was still going through the following day. Everything came to a complete standstill for days because we just don't have the removal equipment. Pretty much everything was closed because nobody could get anywhere. The city contracted with pretty much anyone who had a tractor that could move snow. It took about a week for everything to get back to normal.

We get snow in Albuquerque, but it's typically no more than a dusting and it's usually gone by the afternoon...this was like a once in 100 years kind of storm for us. It was very cool but also kind of scary because we're just not accustomed to snow falling for 2-3 days straight and we're completely unprepared for something like that here.

When I was a kid in Albuquerque they would let us out early for recess so we could play in it before it melted. One morning my mom drove us to school due to snow, and got freaked out when some guy in a pickup started following her - there was maybe three inches of snow on the road. She pulled into a neighbor's driveway, he got out of his truck and said "I just wanted to shake the hand of the best damned woman driver I ever saw" and then left. What he didn't know was we had moved there from upstate NY where we had snow in feet not inches. We still laugh about it.

We had a freak 5 inch snow/ice storm in Maryland north of Baltimore in '68 and they had to shut down everything because they didn't have any equipment to deal with it, had to wait for it to melt.
  • toned_thugs_n_harmony
    toned_thugs_n_harmony Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Halloween blizzard of ‘91. Only kids out in the neighborhood so people were dumping their entire bowls of candy into our pillow cases.