eating way too much junk/sweets

Options
CarvedTones
CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
edited April 2018 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
Since I have been in maintenance (just a couple of weeks), I am filling the extra calories (they seem like extra because I was eating less while losing) with cookies, ice cream and candy more than good food. I eat lean proteins - fish and poultry. I don't eat mammal meat. I do need to eat more veggies; I haven't been lately but most days until very recently I had a few servings. Today I had broccoli and brussels sprouts. I am tracking, so I am not falling into my old trap of bingeing, but I feel like I eat way too many sweets. I do eat a lot of fruit also and I get some fiber, but could probably use more.

Like right now, I have 164 to go and I am resisting the idea of having a couple of soft Chips Ahoy cookies. I could have more fruit, but I eat a lot of that also. I haven't had a banana today, though. Whole grain toast with honey wold be good.

But really, if I get my protein and eat some veggies, it is it horrible that I get so many other calories from sweets? I feel like it is. Maybe I should eat more starches. I just had a taste of the rice; I am still avoiding too much starch and maybe I shouldn't be.

EDIT - BTW, in case you look at my diary and wonder WTF about Sunday, I had that over 50 procedure on Monday and was on clear liquid only Sunday; that's why all my calories came from juice.

Replies

• dracupg
    dracupg Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have been on maintenance for a few months, but still find it incredibly easy to put weight on. One of the triggers for me is sweet sugary foods. I find I start by maybe having one or tow little thing in the evening, but then by the end of the week it escalates and I'm having way too much. Sugar to me is very addictive. I can't just have some and then stop. I'm much better not starting at all.
  • CarvedTones
    Options
    I am tracking everything and have no plans to stop, so I haven't had a problem with putting weight on and don't expect to. It's more about needing to have a healthier mix to make up the calories.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    I'm still aiming for 80% of my calories from nutrient-dense food and 20% from treats. Maintenance, for me, means more calories for treats but also more calories for nutrient-dense foods.

What you eat is entirely up to you. If you feel that you are eating too many sweets, cut back on sweets. Experiment with your macro mix. Nothing is set in stone.
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I am filling the extra calories (they seem like extra because I was eating less while losing) with cookies, ice cream and candy more than good food.

If you are not gaining weight, I don't see any harm.

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with eating the leftover calories in sweets/chocs - never feel guilty! As long as the main bulk of your food is nutrient filled the remainder doesn't matter. Its the 80/20 'rule', 80% good nutrition / 20% whatever the heck you fancy :smiley: The main thing is staying within your maintenance cals consistently so you don't gain.

And what's wrong with starch? if you don't have an allergy then have it, no guilt necessary.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I just can’t do it, I’ve tried for a year now. Once I add back in even a modest amount of calorie dense sweets (cookies, cake, ice cream, doughnuts), I just can’t get enough. I can’t eat one cookie or one serving of Ben & Jerry’s, so I don’t eat any on a regular basis and make it a treat Outside the house on the rare occasions I do.
  • Sheluvsbread2much
    Sheluvsbread2much Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    How about some more fats? Nuts. Avocado. That might tide you over and would get your calories up. Maybe put a nut butter on your apples.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    The MFP default is 50% carb, 20-30% protein, 20-30% fat if I recall. I would suggest you check your profile goals and shoot for these default macros as a starter. Nutrition actually does matter.
  • Sam29a
    Sam29a Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I'm not even in maintenance and find I do the same thing, especially lately. I upped my calories by 100 and those are wasted on more snacks. I don't have lunch, instead, have some sweet snack as I think I won't have enough calories for lunch. If I didn't eat so much junk food then I'd have enough! I just eat a lot of snacks as it's easier and quicker to just grab something instead of cooking and they taste good. Really need to change things up! I think for me, the best thing would be not to buy too many snacks. I try to buy healthier snacks, but even then I end up having too many instead of proper food.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I find myself at times reaching for the snacks. I have learned to control them by...

1. Just don't buy them. If they are not around I can't over indulge in them.

2. Prep food ahead of time. I keep meals in the refrigerator so that I always have a healthy meal that can just be reheated. I make casseroles for multiple meals, roast a large tray of a variety vegetables, grill up 2 or 3 lbs of chicken strips and have some low calorie desserts on hand for those moments when I need a treat.

3. I also try to keep fruit such as bananas or grapes to munch on.

4. I pre-plan the recipes that I am going to make before I order groceries so that I have everything that I need for the week.

If I don't do those 4 things...I am a mess. I most likely would eat a box of crackers or a bag of M&Ms instead. This is the only way that I can stay on track...at least for the moment.
  • anyWendy
    anyWendy Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    How does your body feel after you eat more treats vs. nutrient dense foods?

For me, some foods provide instant gratification, but I later regret it when I overeat. (I'm looking at you, pringles!) Because I've now learned that I can't seem to be able to eat a reasonable serving of these foods, I don't buy them and have them accessible. I do keep foods that taste good and feel like a reward without the feeling that I'm also self sabotaging (thank you, mini bags of microwave popcorn!).
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    OP, maybe add a tasty soup to your lunch or dinner? This would use of some of the extra calories. Other options could be another appetizer type thing, that is 100-150 calories. A few nuts, or olives, or anti-pasto. Sometimes I'll have some fruit before a meal, because it has more calories than vegetables. For me, I would prefer to use my calories with something like that rather than junk food. I think it is fine to have a daily treat if otherwise you are eating well, but I know for me, it is easy for that treat to go overboard, and spread into more than I planned. I don't get the craving for it if I have a better, more balanced meal. I also think 1/2 cup of rice or a potato with your meal is a better option than a sweet.
  • CarvedTones
    edited April 2018
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    The MFP default is 50% carb, 20-30% protein, 20-30% fat if I recall. I would suggest you check your profile goals and shoot for these default macros as a starter. Nutrition actually does matter.

When I was at 1500, 1600 and 1700, the number of grams for each macro went up as I increased calories. I don't need more protein because I eat more. I am 59, weigh about 162 and I walk for exercise. I don't really need more than maybe 75 grams of protein tops, but I usually get more than that. Same with fat and carbs. It's only with the free plans that they restrict to % instead of just specifying how many grams you need. In reality, once you get the grams of each you need, it doesn't matter where the rest of your calories come from (well, except maybe bad fats).

Anyway, I do get the grams of macros I actually need and I do count all the calories. I lost the weight eating more junk than I probably should toward the end as I added calories and I am maintaining okay but still eating more than I would like.
  • aldorval
    aldorval Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    I just can’t do it, I’ve tried for a year now. Once I add back in even a modest amount of calorie dense sweets (cookies, cake, ice cream, doughnuts), I just can’t get enough. I can’t eat one cookie or one serving of Ben & Jerry’s, so I don’t eat any on a regular basis and make it a treat Outside the house on the rare occasions I do.

Totally agree! Those sweets have a way of taking control of my life!