Lose weight without weighing yourself

sjlms
sjlms Posts: 11 Member
I want to do this diet to get fit and lose weight but after doing years of dieting I don’t want to weigh myself every week because I’ve done that and it causes me to stress. So I’m going with an item of clothes. Is anyone else doing the same?

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Then I'd advise you to take your measurements weekly and keep a journal. That way you can see your progress over time. Good luck. You might want to consider weighing once a month if you can handle that.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    Measurements and progress pictures are good tools if you don't want to use a scale.

Have you considered trying daily weighing for a week or two in conjunction with a trend app like Libra.

It's not for everyone, but for some people it helps better understand the natural fluctuations we experience.

Weekly weighing used to really stress me out, because I didn't understand the impact that things like sodium, hormones, alcohol, macro splits and exercise intensity had on the scale, and couldn't understand why I wasn't losing weight despite eating in a large deficit. It was just the water weight masking my losses and if I'd have seen the day-to-day going up and down instead of just a gain a week apart it would have stopped me spitting my dummy out and rage-quitting all those times in the past.
  • Nama_Slay38
    Nama_Slay38 Posts: 178 Member
    Then I'd advise you to take your measurements weekly and keep a journal. That way you can see your progress over time. Good luck. You might want to consider weighing once a month if you can handle that.

This!! Spot on! Scale weighs everything, water, fat, muscle..etc.. measurements and progress pics are the way to go! Good luck to you @sjlms
  • ashxtasticness
    ashxtasticness Posts: 160 Member
    Weighing always stresses me out. I think about it constantly and pump myself up for it, sometimes just to be let down so I totally get that. An article of clothing is a good tool, I might have to try that as well.
  • kt9052
    kt9052 Posts: 17 Member
    Weighing stresses me as well. I find it too easy to almost become a slave to it and weigh every single day and any slight change is cause for upset... I used to be in WW and find it's best to stick to once a week for myself. I really like your idea of a piece of clothing though! i may adapt that for myself as well. Measurements would be a cool way to track too to see how much you've lost all over.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Lots of people choose to do that, keep measurements but its also a good idea to know your starting weight - I know I was sorry that I waited a month after starting to count calories before I weighed in.

Weighing once a month or every other month might be an idea too, its good to have scale progress. Until I started regularly weighing and understanding fluctuations I was on the vicious cycle of losing and gaining the same few pounds. Once I understood how many calories I could eat and lose then I was on to a win win.

All the best.
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    I used to weigh myself every week and it was a big stressor for me, especially weigh in day. Now I weigh myself everyday which was hard for the first week or two, but instead of stressing about it, I view it more of as a hassle. I realize it could just turn into a big stress event every morning to you, but there is also a chance that it becomes monotonous and part of your daily routine.

• Sheluvsbread2much
    Sheluvsbread2much Posts: 85 Member
    Weighing myself was always an emotional roller coaster. I hated it and didn't do it and of course gained weight and had no idea how much I weighed. Then I figured I have to hold myself accountable and noted that I can't manage what I don't measure so I reluctantly started to weigh myself once a week and it was a roller coaster but I knew I had to do it. Now I weigh myself every other day cause folk have been saying that you can understand what's going on. I still don't like it. I say if you can't handle it for now, don't do it. Get a starting weight so you can show off later, and after that - take measurements and judge by a pair of jeans or something tight. Best of luck to you.
  • HappyKat5
    HappyKat5 Posts: 369 Member
    I do not weigh myself and even at my monthly doctors appointments, I have them weigh me backwards. I don’t want to know the number. I measure with a measuring tape, I also can tell fluctuations with certain clothes in my closet. I also like to do progress pictures. I think we look at ourselves so often in the mirror that we don’t see the minor changes because our brains often see how we used to be, sometimes. I think everyone is different and you just have to find what works for you and above all else...keeps you SANE :)
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    I weigh every monday faithfully. I tried weighing daily and that drove me crazy. I do not think measuring would work for me. I am pretty much in maintenance and my measurements have pretty much been the same for the past 8-9 months, but my weight has fluctuated up and down about 20 lbs.
    I have learned to know that the scale is just an indicator if I need to cut back on what I am eating or not. I only weigh myself Monday morning then I put it out of my mind until the next Monday. Do whatever works best for you.
  • rdnck101
    rdnck101 Posts: 25 Member
    My doctor actually told me not to worry about the scale that how my clothes fit are more important. He’s had tell me this twice in a row because I gained this last time but went down clothes sizes.
  • itsgood
    itsgood Posts: 85 Member
    I really didn't want to get overwhelmed by the numbers...how much I weigh, how much I have to lose. I heard about a scale that records but doesn't tell your weight, rather, it tells you how far you are from your starting weight for 10 lbs (over or under). ;) Once you lose 10 lbs, it resets and tracks the next. The messages are a little cheesy, but if you can overlook that, it's a great tool. I've lost 10 pounds twice - yay! - and eventually when I'm ready I will weigh myself and do the math to know where I started. If I feel like it...
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    edited April 2018
    I did for the best part of my journey. I hated the scale with a vengeance. I knew the numbers would be demoralising. I went by fitting of clothes, but that was enough for me.

I did not weigh myself until I started to get comments that I was too skinny while I was convinced I was still overweight (I was right, BMI was 26.6 at that stage) From that point onward I weighed myself monthly only. I did this to avoid having to do with too many fluctuations.

Once I reached maintenance I started to weigh weekly, but only then and even now I occasionally let it slip or a week because I know it will be high and then I will be good for a week before I weigh again. For instance last week; I had been away on a business trip and I knew my bowel movement had been less than perfect Plus I always hold water when flying. So decided not be cruel to myself and not weigh. I felt this week things were going to plan again and weighed Perfect at maintenance again.

So when somebody asks how much I lost; I really really don't know. I know it is over 13 kg (as that is when I weighted myself). I think it is about double that or even just over that. But I don't know.