Keto ??

Options
dholl53
dholl53 Posts: 19 Member
Hey everyone, I started keto on Monday and I have been doing pretty good on my carbs however I am finding it tough to get more fat than protein throughout the day. I was 307.5lbs on Monday morning and 301lbs as of this morning. I know most of this is water weight but it's nice to see my body work at something becides gaining weight. I have my goals set to 6%carbs 24% protein and 70%fat. That comes out to 30g carbs (not net) about 110g protein and about 150g fat. Is that a good spread or should the protein be higher?? If not, I'm looking for some help on getting some good high fat and lower protein options in my diet. I've been eatting eggs for breakfast every morning and meal prepped chicken for lunches so I know I get a lot of protein from that but I would like to get some new ideas. Thanks for all the help!

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    It's a good split for keto, but you don't have to eat keto to lose weight, but you must stick to your calorie allowance, you can eat whatever you like, and you should eat varied.
  • jflongo
    jflongo Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    If you are at 301lbs, I would up your protein to at least 180g, then drop your fat down to around 120g. At 110g protein, you are a little low. If you need healthy fat ideas, try using coconut oil, olive oil, etc in cooking. I usually make a salad and mix 1 tbls olive oil, with 2 - 3 tbls of balsamic vinegar for my dressing.
  • shirley8457
    shirley8457 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I like Diet Doctor.com. https://www.dietdoctor.com There's lots of information on the website for keto diet and lots of recipes. I've been on keto since the beginning of the year and have lost 37 lbs. Good luck on your journey and don't give up. :smiley:
  • dholl53
    dholl53 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input. I could be wrong but from what I've read a 300lbs man needs about 4000cals per day to maintain. I'm currently at about 1800-2000cals per day and I'm actually not craving or starving at all. If I do feel hungry I drink more water. I've been trying to keep my water intake around 100-130 oz. per day.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    dholl53 wrote: »
    Hey everyone, I started keto on Monday and I have been doing pretty good on my carbs however I am finding it tough to get more fat than protein throughout the day. I was 307.5lbs on Monday morning and 301lbs as of this morning. I know most of this is water weight but it's nice to see my body work at something becides gaining weight. I have my goals set to 6%carbs 24% protein and 70%fat. That comes out to 30g carbs (not net) about 110g protein and about 150g fat. Is that a good spread or should the protein be higher?? If not, I'm looking for some help on getting some good high fat and lower protein options in my diet. I've been eatting eggs for breakfast every morning and meal prepped chicken for lunches so I know I get a lot of protein from that but I would like to get some new ideas. Thanks for all the help!

Focus on protein. Fat comes along for the ride with protein. If you're overfat, you don't need to add more dietary fat than necessary. Your body fat will supply the rest until it can't anymore, meaning you're lean enough to need to be in maintenance, at which point you can and may need to increase the fat at that point. Or transition to including healthy carbs once you're lean enough, it's up to you.

Until then, maybe reverse the protein and fat gram macros for now.

On keto, electrolyte balance is key to not feeling like crap. Increase sodium (especially), potassium, magnesium, and calcium.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    jflongo wrote: »
    If you are at 301lbs, I would up your protein to at least 180g, then drop your fat down to around 120g. At 110g protein, you are a little low. If you need healthy fat ideas, try using coconut oil, olive oil, etc in cooking. I usually make a salad and mix 1 tbls olive oil, with 2 - 3 tbls of balsamic vinegar for my dressing.

I agree with this. If you find it hard to hit your fat goal, then don't. Increasing protein is almost always fine. You could try eating higher fat meats, such as regular beef or pork, if you need more calories. Easy snacks are pepperoni sticks and cheese, nuts, hard boiled eggs, veggies and a dip or full fat dressing, a can of tuna or leftovers.

You could probably increase carbs a little bit and still be in constant ketosis, if that is another goal.

In the LCHF community around here, it is advised to see protein as a goal to be reached or exceeded. Carbs are usually a ceiling but there is wiggle room if you don't need ketones for health reasons, and fat fills in the rest. Don't force the fat - we have fat reserves we can use instead if you are not hungry for more fat. ;)
  • jflongo
    jflongo Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Also, not sure if you own and Instant Pot or not? One easy thing I make all the time is corned beef with vegetable or chick broth in the pot. Corned beef is an easy way to get lots of protein and fat and very little carbs. It also
    tends to be on sale or cheap at most stores. It does have a decent amount of sodium, so just make sure you are drinking plenty of water too. Anytime I see this on sale, I buy 3 - 4 of them.

I also make meat loaf every week with grass fed beef. Has low carbs, and high protein and fat as well.