Afraid to bulk

Options
So I am a former fat kid previously 22st after losing 9st gone down to 13st and having abs for the first time in my life but now I want to bulk up and gain muscle but I am afraid to. Any help?
Current calories :3100
Height : 6ft 6inch

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you've read these articles but they are a great read (links in this thread):

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1069962/the-former-fat-boy-girl-syndrome/p1
  • BeccaLoves2lift
    BeccaLoves2lift Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I have no help but I can empathize. I know I need to bulk to get the body I want but I'm afraid I'll just get fat again.
  • BeccaLoves2lift
    BeccaLoves2lift Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Not sure if you've read these articles but they are a great read (links in this thread):

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1069962/the-former-fat-boy-girl-syndrome/p1

These are great! Thanks for the link.
  • billkansas
    billkansas Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    In a nutshell: set goals and adhere to them.... over time you will know you have the willpower to do what you want. Monitor your progress and if you start getting fat- make corrections. Everyone will tell you- you can't gain muscle without a little fat too.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    I was pudgy growing up and had a really hard time with the "there's no way I should eat that much, I'll just get fat" mental block; it really hampered my strength and aesthetic gains as a beginner lifter.

By the TDEE Calculator I typically use, 3100 is about a 400 calorie surplus (0.8 lbs/week). If you're comfortable bulking I think that's probably a good place to start, keep an eye on the scale and adjust calories accordingly if gain rate is too much faster or slower than that 0.8 lbs/week (or if you want to bulk faster and with a little more fat gain). At 21 you should be able to add muscle easily (my almost 29 y/o hormones are jealous). Might be worth a trip over to the r/gainit subreddit which is dedicated to bulking and gaining muscle. r/fitness has a great wiki and knowledgeable users too.
  • willandrews65
    willandrews65 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You can gain lean mass without being in a huge calorie surpluses... people get stuck on the word "bulk" and think they need to gain loads of bf/"mass" to progress. Keep a hundred or so in a cal surpluse and if bf creeps up too much chuck in a short aggressive mini cut and repeat.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    You can gain lean mass without being in a huge calorie surpluses... people get stuck on the word "bulk" and think they need to gain loads of bf/"mass" to progress. Keep a hundred or so in a cal surpluse and if bf creeps up too much chuck in a short aggressive mini cut and repeat.

According to this https://bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/muscle-gain-math.html/, I could bulk on a 60 cal per day surplus. I’m still trying to absorb this. I’ve been under the impression (apparently erroneous?) that a surplus adequate to stimulate synthesis needs to be substantial. I would be so happy to gain 0.5lb LBM per month. Not because I’m “advanced “ but because I’m female, small and over 50. I *think* I gained one pound LBM in the past whole year recomping (to the best of my tape measuring ability per navy bf% formula). It’s hard to track changes this small. And I suck at tape measuring, which doesn’t help my accuracy. My pie in the sky goal is gaining 4lb more LBM while, after a cut, ending up with fat pounds essentially same. Is this true—could I actually gain LBM on a surplus this small? I mean, it’s like less than a glass of wine every other day.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »

According to this https://bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/muscle-gain-math.html/, I could bulk on a 60 cal per day surplus. I’m still trying to absorb this. I’ve been under the impression (apparently erroneous?) that a surplus adequate to stimulate synthesis needs to be substantial. I would be so happy to gain 0.5lb LBM per month. Not because I’m “advanced “ but because I’m female, small and over 50. I *think* I gained one pound LBM in the past whole year recomping (to the best of my tape measuring ability per navy bf% formula). It’s hard to track changes this small. And I suck at tape measuring, which doesn’t help my accuracy. My pie in the sky goal is gaining 4lb more LBM while, after a cut, ending up with fat pounds essentially same. Is this true—could I actually gain LBM on a surplus this small? I mean, it’s like less than a glass of wine every other day.

The issue I see with such a small surplus is that any tracking inaccuracies could wipe out it completely, and then you could just be maintaining.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

Essentially you would be doing a hair more than a recomp, since muscle building is possible at maintenance it is definitely possible in a small surplus. It can be hard to track but keep a trend weight and take photos, measurements, etc.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options

The issue I see with such a small surplus is that any tracking inaccuracies could wipe out it completely, and then you could just be maintaining.

... or more often than not end up in a deficit half the time. Which explains why so many people end up spinning their wheels trying to “lean bulk”.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    jseams1234 wrote: »

... or more often than not end up in a deficit half the time. Which explains why so many people end up spinning their wheels trying to “lean bulk”.

Exactly.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    jseams1234 wrote: »

Something I'll never understand. I never accidentally end up in a deficit lol.

Bulking can play mind games on you but if you really want something, you have to stick with the process. What I found to be enjoyable and helped me get over seeing the fat gain, was how much FUN my gym performance was. I thought I liked lifting when I was losing weight but damn, it feels amazing to be making gains and doing it while you're fueled.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    The issue with bulking up with former fat people is that many think that they'll go back to their former selves if they intentionally eat more. Well you would if you ate the same amount of calories you did previously. So how do you fix that? You DON'T eat as much as before. Figure out what your TDEE is and just add 250 calories to start and see how that goes.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I'm a former fat person who bulked and never successfully cut. It can be scary, but I also love training. So even though I never got back down to 135, I feel that training in maintenance for awhile really helped to change my body composition for the better. I'm 147 at 5'4" in my profile pic.

I'm just saying, it's not the end all be all. You can stop a bulk. Or, you know how to lose the weight if you don't. Ultimately if you're reaching performance goals while eating a bit more, you can end up looking better even if the bulk doesn't go perfectly.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »

Something I'll never understand. I never accidentally end up in a deficit lol.

QFT