How to fix imbalance in the pectoral muscles

Hi, I noticed that even though my right pec is firm my left pec is a little flabby. What lifts do y'all recommend to isolate the left pectoral muscle and fix the imbalance?

Replies

• Erik8484
    Erik8484 Posts: 458 Member
    What sort of body fat % do you have, ballpark? Are you saying that your left pec is flabby because it is covered in a layer of fat that doesn't exist over the right pec? Is it loose skin due to having lost lots of weight? Do you strength train? How long have you been strength training for?

Maybe a bit more information would help.
  • Ihateusernametaken
    Ihateusernametaken Posts: 8 Member
    Erik8484 wrote: »
    What sort of body fat % do you have, ballpark? Are you saying that your left pec is flabby because it is covered in a layer of fat that doesn't exist over the right pec? Is it loose skin due to having lost lots of weight? Do you strength train? How long have you been strength training for?

Maybe a bit more information would help.

Answers in order 1. IDK 2. Maybe 3. Most likely dropped 60 pounds so that maybe it. 4. When I began to take it seriously 2 years ago but college intervened and I am coming back after a year long hiatus. Been back for about 2 months now.
  • Ihateusernametaken
    Ihateusernametaken Posts: 8 Member
    TR0berts wrote: »
    In general, imbalances can be fixed (or at least minimized) by the following:

Isolateral exercises (dumbbells, cables, anything that requires both sides to work individually) - so no barbells or machines where there's only one handle (or two handles that are connected) that requires both sides;
    Same weight/sets/reps for each side - you don't want to not work the other side, or you may very well end up imbalanced in the other direction;
    Use your weak side as a guide for the above weight/sets/reps - no point in banging out 3 sets of 12 of 20 lb (as an example) with your right side, but only managing 3 sets of 9 with the left.

As such, cable crossovers would probably be a good idea. Maybe some low incline dumbbell bench, too.

Thanks, I'll try to incorporate that into my next chest workout.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    I wouldn't worry so much about avoiding the barbell.
    I am going to guess you could probably bench press a barbell with 45 pounds of plates on it -- ie, a 90-pound bench press.
    Now, take the weight off and try to bench the empty barbell with your hand in the same place it was when you had both hands on the bar. I'll bet its hard and you cannot keep the bar level with the ground.
    When you use a barbell you tend to use both sides of your body. You need to use both sides of the body.
    I have never seen that lifters who use barbells tend to get imbalanced, barring an injury or some other compromised ability.
    On the contrary, studies show that weight lifters tend to be among the most balanced of athletes and, generally speaking, lifters tend to spend more time with the barbell than the dumbbell.
    I would bet that if you started bench pressing with a barbell, and you kept the bar level, or an approximation thereof, your weak side would get more stressed and develop more than your strong side.
    Everyone has a dominant side. But, let's face it, we don't see people who have noticeable imbalances -- one big leg or big arm -- walking around the gym.
    Sure, a person can do single sided exercises if they want. There is much benefit to single side lifts. But if you lift you are going to tend to even out anyway.