water aerobics equals how many calories burned?

Options
386 calories burned in 50 minutes- seems high- even my instructor thought so. Anyone have a different idea how many calories are burned in 50 minutes of water aerobics?

Replies

• milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    It depends upon your weight because a larger body will have to exert more energy to move. I burn between 500 - 600 calories in an hour of water aerobics.
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    386 calories burned in 50 minutes- seems high- even my instructor thought so. Anyone have a different idea how many calories are burned in 50 minutes of water aerobics?
    everyones different get a HRM i suggest a Polar brand one
  • LordRahl
    LordRahl Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Would the Polar one be waterproof? How do you calculate the calories in the water?
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Would the Polar one be waterproof? How do you calculate the calories in the water?
    mine is waterproof i wear it in the pool all the time
  • AmerTunsi
    AmerTunsi Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    This is a great question! When I put in "laps, leisurely" .. I'm getting some incredibly high numbers. Granted I go for several hours .. but between the pool and the treadmill it is saying I'm burning nearly 5,500 calories in 440 mins.
  • shauna121211
    shauna121211 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    "The weight of a person is directly proportional to the number of calories burned. More the weight of a person, the more will be the number of calories burned. Let us understand this with a few examples. If a person weighs 130 to 140 lbs, the person will burn approximately 236 calories. If the person weighs 160 lbs the number of water aerobics calories burned will be 281. On the other hand a person weighing 190 lbs will burn as much as 345 calories with a water aerobics workout of 45 to 60 minutes. The reason for this is more energy is required to push a large mass through water. Therefore, it is obvious that a person who weighs less will require less number of calories to navigate through water, than a person who weighs more."

I used to be a water aerobics instructor and it never seemed like a very intense workout for me compared to other exercises. With that said, most of the ladies I taught were fairly overweight and a fair bit older than me... 40-70 years old. It was obvious that some of these ladies come to water ex to socialize with their friends and put in minimal effort, but others work very very hard and are red in the face by the end. Anyways, go to class with the intention to work hard, and you will burn more.

Try this website to calculate your calories burned based on weight, height and age: http://www.fitday.com/webfit/exerciseinfopage.html
  • AmerTunsi
    AmerTunsi Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    The website from the previous post and MFP are soooo different in calories burned!
  • shauna121211
    shauna121211 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    This is a great question! When I put in "laps, leisurely" .. I'm getting some incredibly high numbers. Granted I go for several hours .. but between the pool and the treadmill it is saying I'm burning nearly 5,500 calories in 440 mins.

I don't know how much you weigh, but swimming burns a hell of a lot of calories... it uses your whole body and it takes a fair bit of effort to move yourself through the pool. I'm 180lbs, 5'5 and 24 years old and doing an hour of leisurely swim for me would burn about 480 calories. I don't know how you have 7+ hours a day to exercise, but that's awesome, so keep it up! I'm not convinced the whole "Biggest Loser" strategy of working out that much works in the long run, but I'd be interested to see. You'd be burning fat of like crazy if you're not eating those calories back.

But let's put this calorie burning into perspective a bit... Michael Phelps lives on a massive 12,000 calorie a day diet to replenish the calories he burns from a workout! Check out this article if you're interested: http://blogs.wsj.com/health/2008/08/13/the-michael-phelps-diet-dont-try-it-at-home/

I'm going suggest this website again because it seems to be pretty accurate: http://www.fitday.com/webfit/burned/calories_burned_Water_activities.html
  • jlroeming
    jlroeming Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Shauna- great info you are sharing, thank you. I just thought that the 386 calories burned for 50 minutes of water aerobics seemed high. I got this 386 right from MFP when I input the amount of time- the 386 came back. But from what you are saying it is pretty accurate. I work pretty hard at the exercises- so I guess I can be comfortable with the 386. It does makes sense to factor in your age, weight and intensity. I would say b/c MFP knows my weight- that was probably used to come up with my calories burned.
    Thanks, again for sharing what you know:)

Any suggestions where to find a water proof meter?
  • jlroeming
    Options
    A HRM is a Heart Rate Monitor isn't it?- How do you calculate calories burned by using a heart rate monitor??
  • jlroeming
    Options
    I couldn't find the one on Shauna's blog. I did find this:

http://www.glamour.com/health-fitness/activity/calculators/water_aerobics
  • LordRahl
    LordRahl Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I put in for an hour of swimming, leisurely and I burn (according to MFP) 771 calories, I am 6'7" and weigh 283lbs I will have to check the website suggested and find out how accurate. "Burn calories in water" site suggests I burn 531 in an hour.

Thanks for the idea behind tracking down a waterproof HRM. Now I have to find one to see which site is accurate.
  • DaRoseBehindRoRo
    DaRoseBehindRoRo Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Which HRM do you use for Swimming?
  • Changing49
    Options
    Thanks.