Balancing Nutrition and Fitness

Options
jval93jv
jval93jv Posts: 2 Member
edited April 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
I am trying to slim down for my sister's wedding next year. I' am currently exercising 1 hour, 6 days a week. I'm running 5 days/wk and walking 1 day/wk. I am slowly incorporating strength exercises 1-2 times a week. I have cut back on my calorie intake but i'm getting concerned that I maybe be losing muscle mass rather than fat. Any suggestions on avoiding muscle mass loss but promoting fat loss? Macro ratios? Workout routines? Of note I am vegan (please no judgment/criticism regarding my dietary choice). Thanks, J.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough protein? It's important for anyone who is seeking to retain muscle mass, but can be especially important for us vegans because sometimes we tend to eat lower protein than other people.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    A good read...
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets/p1

There's also a load of useful information in the sticky threads pinned to the top of the various forums.
  • jflongo
    jflongo Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Personally I would drop cardio down and up weight lifting. Unless you are training for a 10K or higher, you don't need to do that much cardio.

I get on the treadmill for about 10 - 20 minutes, then hop off and do weight lifting for 45 - 90 minutes.

There is a lady in our gym that does cardio for probably 2 hours / day. I feel telling her she is crazy, but if she wants to do it so be it :)
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    jval93jv wrote: »
    I am trying to slim down for my sister's wedding next year. I' am currently exercising 1 hour, 6 days a week. I'm running 5 days/wk and walking 1 day/wk. I am slowly incorporating strength exercises 1-2 times a week. I have cut back on my calorie intake but i'm getting concerned that I maybe be losing muscle mass rather than fat. Any suggestions on avoiding muscle mass loss but promoting fat loss? Macro ratios? Workout routines? Of note I am vegan (please no judgment/criticism regarding my dietary choice). Thanks, J.

Strength training, adequate protein & a small to moderate deficit are your 3 keys. Run all you want if you enjoy it and can do those other 3 things. If time, energy and recovery is an issue, prioritize the strength training, using mostly compound lifts full body program 2-3 days a week.