Can't lose weight!!

Options
I was hoping to get some opinions....I have been trying to lose weight for a while now and just can't seem to do it. I was eating 1600 calories a day and doing 60 minutes of cardio a day and didn't lose a pound. Then I tried eating 1800 calories a day and continued to workout the same and still didn't lose weight. I'm getting really frustrated because I'm really watching my calories and food and killing myself working out but nothing seems to happen no matter what I try. Has this happened to anyone else? I'm not sure what to do. I've been seeing a nutrionist for a few months now and she seems stumped by this as well.

Replies

• panda0920
    Options
    Are you possibly eating too many calories? I do and hour and a half of pure running and running exercises five times a week and I don't even consume that amount of calories.
    Also are you watching your other intakes, such as protein, sugars, carbs, etc.? Those can make as much difference as actual calories, sometimes more.
  • natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    My best friend experienced the same problem this summer. I have her on a program of lifting, cardio, and amazing food, and not one pound came off. She had some blood work done and found a problem with her thyroid. She drinks a ton of water each day, too.

You might want to see a doctor. Good luck!
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Are you taking your measurements? If you are exercising you may be gaining a little muscle mass at the same time as losing the fat. It won't show on the scales but it might on the measuring tape
  • Brandy3827
    Brandy3827 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    This is second hand advice because I'm having a similar problem. I have a friend that is nearing the end of her weightloss journey after losing 80 pounds. She told me to monitor my sodium intake and drink plenty of water. I checked out some of the sodium levels on those frozen low calorie/low fat lunches I've been eating and they're terrible! I'm gonna give a try and just wanted to pass it along to you :)
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    I noticed you are only trying to lose 20 lbs so I am assuming you are not overweight, or terribly overweight? 1600-1800 cals/day sounds like maintenance calories, as opposed to weight loss calories, for someone that is pretty close to a healthy weight.
  • Sobe1970
    Sobe1970 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I work out 6 days a week (3 weight days and 3 HIIT days) and the scale WILL NOT MOVE! I have tried more calories, less calories, more protein/less carbs, less protein/more carbs...you get the picture. I don't know what to do and am getting REALLY frustrated. I make an effort to eat clean as well, although I do have bad day here and there. Good luck!
  • Dornroschen
    Dornroschen Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Open your diary, it may help us help you.

1) Sodium intake. Are you watching your sodium? It contributes to water weight.
    2) Water intake. Are you drinking lots and lots and lots of water and then drinking one more glass? You should be. Rule of thumb for me, especially on a work out day, is to drink half my body weight in ounces of water every day. I weigh 230ish, so I aim for 115 ounces. Fill up a bottle and keep it with you.
    3) Are you weighing your food and tracking EVERYTHING you put in your mouth? The small spoon of ice cream, that dab of ketchup, the sugar in your coffee? A serving of cereal is smaller than your bowl probably holds, too. Weigh your food.
    4) Are you wearing an HRM to monitor how many calories you actually burn during activities? If you're going by MFP, sometimes it over-estimates some activities.

I don't know...these are just a few notes. You've been seeing a nutritionist so I would think he or she would have mentioned these things and seen the food you've been eating.

Make healthy decisions, short-term/reachable goals - do it regularly and you'll eventually see results.
  • SailingMike
    SailingMike Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    My understanding is that muscle weighs more than fat. You may be in that interim period where you are loosing fat and gaining muscle, hence no weight loss.

Instead of weighing yourself, try just measuring yourself, bust, hips, waist, thighs, biceps. Don't weigh in for a month, just measure. See what is really happening to your body.

Also, do you FEEL good? Are you eating healthy food?

Don't try to loose more than 2 lbs per week. Remember it took years to put on the weight, taking it off too fast is a recipie for long term failure.
  • sldavis73
    Options
    I so feel your pain... I keep looking at my scale and in my meanest voice.. "you owe me"! I have been at it for 3 weeks with 1300 calories and walking 3 miles 4-5 times a week and I have gained 4lbs... I have lost inches though and I know that is the most important thing but I am ready to see the scale move!!

I have been asked to check my sugar intake!

If you ever need to vent, I will be happy to listen.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    If you plug in the right values in your profile, MFP will calculate a net calorie value that will cause you to lose weight, assuming that there's not a blocking medical condition.

It's also important to track calories fairly accurately. I've weighed almost everything I've eaten since December 2010. It's just something that "you gotta do". Is it OK to "eyeball" your portions to figure out how much food you're eating? Sure! Being fat is fine, too, right?

Per another poster, if you're following the guidelines from MFP* and are not losing weight, check in with a doctor.

*That includes the bloating and discomfort that comes from drinking so much water.
  • kolyn75
    kolyn75 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Try going off how your clothes fit......you may be losing inches. When I lost my first 25 pounds before joining mfp I didn't see the scale move for a month and when it did it was 5 lbs. then one day it started changing but I noticed once I started measuring my body and looking at how my clothes fit i had been losing several inches. A lot of people advised me to stay off the scale.
  • Sobe1970
    Sobe1970 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Muscle does not weigh more than fat...it just takes up less space!
  • lroswald
    lroswald Posts: 11
    Options
    I'm not an expert, but it sounds like you may have a high calorie goal. I'm at 1200 per day (the minimum recommended for women). At first it was HARD because I was used to eating quite a bit more. Even though it was healthy food, I was still eating too much food.

Now with 1200 per day regular, simple cardio I have been consistently loosing weight.

Don't give up! You can do it!
  • Sooy2004
    Options
    I'm right there with you! I workout 1.5-2.5 hours/day 6-7 days/week (burning an average of 800 calories 6-7 days/week) and only consume between 1200-1300 calories and the scale WILL NOT BUDGE! So frustrating! I'm at 1150 consumed calories today and I'm STUFFED!!! There is no way I can fit more food in my stomach right now.

Anyone been there and fixed the problem?