No Breakfast?? Bad?? ADVICE!

Options
So i am right in the middle of band camp right now for school and it requires A LOT of physical strain!
The good thing is, it is forcing me to excersise :D
Bad thing, it starts at 6:30 every MORNING. At that time in the early morning, i do not want or crave breakfast
because in the past when i have eaten and then gone to band camp, i get sick to my stomach :(

Is it bad that I skip out on breakfast? The next time i get to eat is at 11AM which is our lunch break.
I dont know if what Im doing is good or bad... I need advice, suggestions, or knowledge :D

Replies

• rharris86dc
    rharris86dc Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I remember being at band camp. I was never a breakfast person either, but being on my feet all day, running around in the sun, I would at least grab something small: apple, granola bar, cereal. It will give you a little morning boost, and if you keep it small, it shouldn't bother your tummy.
  • audigal2008
    audigal2008 Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    bump good question!
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    My vote: neither good nor bad. It's neutral. As long as you're not physically uncomfortable (i.e., starving), and as long as you're hitting your numbers by the end of the day, you're good to go.

If you need something quick, maybe you can look into some kind of bar or shake than you can take before you head out.
  • abellante_0205
    abellante_0205 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    can you bring a snack with u? I would try to snack around the time u are able to eat something small before lunch, so that you aren't starving yourself. Something that can be a snack can be an energy bar or something like that
  • Situation2011
    Options
    You need to eat to stimulate your metabolism and lose weight. Your body goes into starvation mode when it's not fed on time. Your body wants food 1st thing when you wake. If you sabotage your metabolism it takes longer to lose weight. Eat something easy, like a fruit you like and put some cherios in a to go cup. Drink some milk with it. No prep time involved and yummy!
  • LordRahl
    LordRahl Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Missing breakfast is always bad, you need to eat and start your motor so it is burning. I usually workout first and then have something to eat. If you work out first your body will get the energy from fat rather than the food. But you can not get away without eating something in the morning.
    I think the timing is that you should eat within 1.5 hrs from waking up.
  • PatientBear
    Options
    You want advice? Eat breakfast. Your body needs the fuel after not eating all night. Hence the term "breakfast" as in break the fast. If you aren't hungry, grab an apple with some peanut butter. At least you'll get some calories and protein. You'll need it to be out in the hot sun practicing your routines.
  • MrsRadder
    MrsRadder Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Anything is better than nothing. Jillian Michaels says to eat within a half hour of waking up. Even if its a yogurt or carnation make a great light breakfast drink... anything. I get up early so I feel you on how it makes you sick to eat early... but you have to. I do and after a few days I noticed how I was not eating a lot late at night :)
  • Just_Bethy
    Just_Bethy Posts: 272
    Options
    I HATE breakfast but boy my weight loss speeds up when I eat it...I go with a Slimfast or an Activia Light now ...I manage most days to gag it down...Yuck! but it really rocks the burn!!!
  • bgelliott
    bgelliott Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    missing breakfast is bad, workout out and not eating is worse. your body will end up fighting back eventually. 11 am is too late for your first meal of the day. Breakfast can be anything as light as a granola bar, protein shake, banana, etc. You really should feed your body if you are asking it to exert energy for exercise.
  • smarionette
    smarionette Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Many, many, many studies have shown that people who skip breakfast actually end up consuming more calories as the day goes on. If you are truly not hungry, have a slice of toast and glass of milk, and stick an apple in your pocket for later.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Your body goes into starvation mode when it's not fed on time.

This is simply not true. People won't go into starvation mode unless they are eating waaaay under their BMR for a long period of time...often times months.

But back to the O/P's question...I have always been interested in the timing of meals, and I have done quite a bit of research for it over the past few months. What I have found is that there is a whole school of thought that believes that as long as you are reaching your calorie goal, it doesn't matter too much "when" you eat different meals. Look at the intermittent fasting group...they lose weight, yet don't have schedules like a lot of the rest of us do. They are, however, averaging what they should to avoid eating too little or gouging themselves.

Bottom line, do what's right for you. This might take some experimentation with different foods and different amounts. If you wait an hour or 2 to eat, so what? I often have breakfast 1-2 hours after waking up, and yet I am still healthy and losing weight consistently. If you feel bad after eating, it might be an allergy or sensitivity to a certain food, or you just aren't woken up enough yet. Just try different things until you find what works for you.
  • TrishaLeighNelson
    TrishaLeighNelson Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    At least try eating something light, like an apple or a banana or maybe yogurt
  • bhagavatilad1
    Options
    take a snack like a granola bar or some fruit in a zippy for later to eat during break or on the way there or even on the way back. consider it brunch. But don't skip.
  • GoddessAndraste
    Options
    Totally. I *never* used to eat breakfast, for the same reason. Busy, on the go, stomach would get upset. But since I started this new health and fitness journey, I eat breakfast every day. At first it was just a snack cheese and some nuts. Then as I got used to that, I added a cereal bar. Now, it's oatmeal/Cream of Wheat (with some granola sprinkled in), a snack cheese, and some whole wheat toast with a bit of jam. My late evening/night boredom snacking has vanished, and I have plenty of energy throughout the day.

Just start out small. Seems to work for most things. :)
  • megz4987
    megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is exactly that, breaking a fast. You need to eat something, not a huge meal or anything, just something to get your body going and keep it going
  • MitchaMusic
    Options
  • portexploit
    portexploit Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Some people recommend eatng carbs, this triggers the parasympathetic which is responsible for being groggy and lathargic. So it's not good to eat them for breakfast, eating breakfast slows down fat oxidation, Meaning you burn less fat through the day. Here are the studies to back up what I said.

breakfast slows down fat oxidation
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10967612

skipping breakfast
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10967612
  • Valechka
    Valechka Posts: 192
    Options
    I usually eat 1/2 banana before my 5:30 am class. and some protein after :) Can't eat anything more then banana or maybe orange so early...
  • marinegirl621
    Options
    The most I'm gonna say is yes you need to eat SOMETHING in the morning, but since you're at band camp, don't eat milk products. The reason you probably get sick to your stomach is the milk is souring in your stomach because you're hot. Granola bars, fruit and stuff like that should be safe. I can't do cereal if I'm going to be outside because it makes me nauseous. Good luck finding food that works for you in the morning!