Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Question

So...I hear a lot of people talk about how their stomach goes flat when they lay on their back. My stomach does not do this..I am not pregnant or anything. I am 195lbs. I have never been this weight in my life aside from when I was pregnant with my first child. So I’m just wondering if anyone else still has the lower tummy pouch when they lay down. I am extremely self conscious about my stomach lately and It’s been bugging me a lot...

Replies

• SteamPug
    SteamPug Posts: 262 Member
    How much do the people who say that weigh though?
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    edited April 2018
    Mine is not completely flat when I lie down and I weigh 147lbs.
  • LuckyAndi
    LuckyAndi Posts: 203 Member
    I'm 194 and the only thing that goes flat when I lay down is my chest. Like SteamPug said, how much do those people weigh?
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,102 Member
    People carry their weight in different ways, it's down to genetics, it's pointless comparing other people to yourself. I myself do not carry my weight in my stomach, it's pretty flat despite being 220lbs, but I carry a lot of fat on my thighs, I can't do anything about that except continue at my calorie deficit, eat plenty of protein and strength train to improve their appearance until the fat comes off there eventually.

This is a very useful thread: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    How does your stomach shape when lying down come up in general conversation with a lot of people? I've never spoken about it, or heard anyone but you mention it....

I'm not sure it's important - how many people see you lying flat on your back who would care whether you have a flat stomach or not?
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited April 2018
    This is not something that has come up in any conversation I have had. I'm at a healthy weight so mine does go flat/concave when lying - I just wish it would stay that way when I stand up LOL.
    I really don't think this issue is worth fretting about what others say. I do get that you feel self conscious about your stomach but at least with clothes you can choose items that are complimentary and hide that area.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Mine's never gone flat when I lay down..... that might be because I'm 230lb down from 387lb so mine flops sidewards not inwards lol
  • andreaen
    andreaen Posts: 365 Member
    How does your stomach shape when lying down come up in general conversation with a lot of people? I've never spoken about it, or heard anyone but you mention it....

I'm not sure it's important - how many people see you lying flat on your back who would care whether you have a flat stomach or not?

I've never had this conversation either. Actually I don't even know what my stomach looks like if I lay down, almost want to go lay down somewhere now to check but that isn't really appropriate in public.. Guess that could trigger the conversation though
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited April 2018
    iv literally never heard anyone say this lol. Its true in the same way stretching tall and putting your arms above your head flattens you. Youll be flatter, But its just stretching it out fats still there and fat will still show it doesnt disappear magically just temporarily shrink a bit from gravity and being forced to take up more space
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member
    It flattens slightly the same way my breasts change shape if I am laying on my back vs standing. My stomach does not get totally flat though.
    I wouldn't worry about it.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    I have never had this conversation either.

At the same time, I would expect my stomach to stick out at any angle if I were overweight. I mean, not to be mean, but that just makes sense to me. If it bugs you, continue to lose weight, but don't spend your time worrying about it. Half the population is overweight and has stomachs that stick out. You are hardly unique in that.