Tells me this gets better.

Options
On a mission to get fit, Second day at the gym and new to this and found it tough going today but made it through. I'm starting with cardio to begin with but should I continue with cardio and then move onto weights or mix them both. Any advise welcome and friends to motivate me would be good.

Replies

• Lee1st1974
    Lee1st1974 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I hope so.
  • SalinitySally
    SalinitySally Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    At three weeks it's easier. After twelve weeks it's habitual and probably enjoyable.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    It does get easier as it gets to be a habit. I log now as if it’s second nature!
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    This is a lifelong endeavor.
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    It definitely gets better, then it becomes second nature. Allow for recovery, definitely start weights, proper form to prevent injury is more important than the amount of weight at first. Most importantly have fun with it! Music helps!
  • BeccaLoves2lift
    BeccaLoves2lift Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I hate indoor cardio, I will always dread it. I love hiking, biking, and lifting weights. Finding a form of exercise you enjoy doing will make it better. It does get easier the fitter you become.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Lifting heavy $#!+ is fun! Always pushing for a PR! Some people talk about a runners high, I get an iron high! It does get better. Best of luck.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    When you deploy on a mission, you deploy with a plan. You want a plan that is designed to help you meet your goals, a plan that is feasible for you to follow .... a plan that makes sense given your current level of fitness and your goals. If you go to the gym every day, don't do the same thing every day. You might lift weights one day, do some cardio the next. You need to also have appropriate warm-up and cool down, and nutrition to support your goals. This thread might be useful for the lifting part - look at the "beginning lifting" section: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1 and for the cardio part, steady state activity that gets your heart rate up is a good place to start. You can add in interval training as you attain better cardio fitness.

And don't forget to build in recovery days.

Good luck!
  • rikkejohnsenrij
    rikkejohnsenrij Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Find the workout you enjoy and a form you can enjoy it in.
    For example I hear audio books...and have agreed with myself that I'm only allowed to do so while excercising and cleaning house...it motivates me to get going because I really want to go on with the plot :)
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to plan in rest days. :wink:
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    As long as you enjoy the workout you've chosen then it will get easier...it takes 3 weeks to form a lasting habit to workout so stick with it and it will become the norm for you :smile:
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,104 Member
    Options
    Ultimately it will depend if you're enjoying your chosen form of exercise, not everyone thrives/enjoys the gym but that isn't the only place you can workout/exercise. Definitely try to incorporate some sort of strength training as early on as possible if you can, particularly if your goal is to lose weight, this helps to maintain muscle.

If you find the gym is not for you there are all sorts of active hobbies that can improve your cardio health, a few examples:
    • Walking
    • Jogging
    • Cycling
    • Hiking
    • Rowing
    • Team Sports
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Not for me, way harder 5 years in. The workout part is easier, the eating part... not so much.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Not for me, way harder 5 years in. The workout part is easier, the eating part... not so much.

I think you might be in the minority :/ which is good news for most people but it must suck for you.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't start with cardio. Start with weight training, then finish with cardio. Sometimes I'll start with weight training, do cardio in the middle of my workout, then finish the workout with a lot of core work (situps/planks/crunches/leg lifts/etc.). If I do cardio first I get worn out and don't generally do as well with my weight training.
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

I think you might be in the minority :/ which is good news for most people but it must suck for you.

Statistically speaking, I think most that start on a plan to lose weight eventually "fall off the wagon," so I'm not so sure about the "minority" part (unless you're speaking about the MFP forum population, in which case you may have a point).

Of course, that doesn't mean we shouldn't make ourselves the exception.
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    It will get worse!!! Keep at it and soon you could be addicted to the satisfying feeling of a great workout and the awesome results it can produce, who knows... one fine day you might even actually CRAVE exercise!!! :# I should know, it happened to me! I used to be completely sedentary, started exercising for the first time in my life when I was middle aged and now I love exercising and there’s no going back! ;)