Work Conferences

Options
I started a new meal plan on Monday. I feel great about it so far. I have work conferences coming up this weekend and I am worried. There is tons of food around, mostly bad for you. No way to measure anything. Any advice??

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Google "serving size chart" and look at the image results. You'll get a bunch that show you how to estimate serving sizes with your hand, finger, comparing size to a deck of cards, etc. Other than that, trying to pick mostly what I'll call "whole foods", for lack of a better term, is what I do.
  • mandiegold941
    mandiegold941 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I have to be there at 7am tomorrow. There are going to be so many pastries. I don't even like them that much, but it's going to be a long day.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,477 Member
    Options
    Bring your own snacks. Even convenience stores have apples, bananas and hard boiled eggs.

Maybe they’ll put out some fruit. Check out the calories for some items you will likely see in advance so you know for sure what you’re facing.

Muffin is another word for cake.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I have no idea if this would work with you but I tell myself that I don't like the pastries at work and at conferences. For the most part it is true. They are usually generic food service pastries that don't actually taste that great. I'd rather save my calories for something that actually tastes good. Take a different snack with you if possible. I don't know what kind of work you do but I've never been at a conference or training session where people have gasped or acted horrified when I pulled out my own snack.
  • mandiegold941
    Options
    Good ideas. I can easily bring an RX bar.

I love Muffin=Cake. It's true.

I bet there will be salad for lunch. The old me would have gone for the starch. But I don't want to throw away my work on sub par potatoes.
  • knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    eat before you go. then have some water, tea or coffee. tell people you forgot and ate beforehand. or take a muffin or something, break it into pieces, throw some of it away to look like youve ate some of it, and leave the rest on your plate. this has worked for me as i will go to breakfast area when no one is there, then toss some of my food, then bring back rest to my seat and just never eat it. or tell people you don't feel well and don't want to throw up all over the table. most will leave you alone if they think you'll puke.
  • mandiegold941
    Options
    It went so well. They had hardboiled eggs for breakfast, that with some fruit and a touch of granola. Then for lunch I had salad and took the meat off the sandwich and ate that. Somehow I skipped all the yummy snacks. Overall very happy.