Healthy snacks for the middle of the night.

Options
I've had a habit for years of waking up in the middle of night and eating. I've determined that it's not something I'm going to be stopping anytime soon. I even tried putting a chair in front of my door to alert me and in my sleep I just moved the chair to the side. For example, last night I got up 3 times and ate about five hundred calories of granola bars. Instead of fighting it I'd rather just be prepared. Does anybody have any recommendations of tasty, low-calorie items that I can have ready for myself when I wake up in the middle of the night? It needs to be something hearty because at that time of night I won't go for fruits and vegetables. I'd also welcome any tips on how to prevent myself from eating in the middle of the night. I'm really not awake enough to stop myself in the moment. Thank you!

Replies

• janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I have the exact same issue. i have even put a bell on my fridge to try to wake me and i continue to dive in there. i usually eat peanut butter and something else available, but the calories do add up! i was thinking of buying deli meats or turkey pepperoni as i also will not go for fruits or veggies..I have also tried to eat dinner later in the evening to see if i would avoid this, but this pattern has been going on for 30 plus years, so i dont see it changing either! Let me know if you find a good solution!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,008 Member
    Options
    Hard-boiled eggs (you can shell them ahead of time and put them in a plastic baggie).
    Deli meat.
    Dinner leftovers.

Just to clarify -- you're doing this in your sleep (sleep walking and sleep eating), but you have found that in your sleep you still abide by the decisions you make when you're awake about what you will eat in the middle of the night? (Because it doesn't sound like that, if you can't decide to eat fruits or veggies and have that decision control what you do in your sleep in the middle of the night.)
  • Phaewryn
    Phaewryn Posts: 142 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I also have this problem (it used to be worse when I was on Ambien - back then I would zip-tie my cabinets shut before bed every night) and I found that a fat-free greek yogurt with a small amount of granola on top does it for me. It's filling, sweet, rich, and I go back to sleep quite happy. Just be careful with the granola, as its calories add up quick. Luckily, you can't pile over a single serving on top of a cup of yogurt, so as long as you don't transfer it to a bowl or refill the granola when it's half empty, it's fairly self-limiting. My favorite is a pineapple or black cherry fruit on bottom greek yogurt with a chocolate and coconut granola on top. The yogurts range from 110-140 calories, and the serving of granola is really the worst part (my Kashi chocolate fav is 130 calories per a 1/3 cup serving!), so if you can find a low-cal granola you actually find rewarding, it can be as low as a 200 calorie night-time indulgence and rarely is over 250. Greek yogurt is also high in protein, so you're actually feeding your muscles what they need at rest during the night to recover.
  • Elizabeth1350531
    Elizabeth1350531 Posts: 8 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Hard-boiled eggs (you can shell them ahead of time and put them in a plastic baggie).
    Deli meat.
    Dinner leftovers.

Just to clarify -- you're doing this in your sleep (sleep walking and sleep eating), but you have found that in your sleep you still abide by the decisions you make when you're awake about what you will eat in the middle of the night? (Because it doesn't sound like that, if you can't decide to eat fruits or veggies and have that decision control what you do in your sleep in the middle of the night.)

I'm alert enough to know the next day that I got up several times, and I'm alert enough to grab the food that I pre-planned the night before, but only if it fits into the right category of food. I have tried putting out fruited jello and gone straight for the peanut butter instead. The food needs to be fairly hearty and either protein or carbohydrate based. I like the idea of eggs since they are their own single serving size. I could also easily pre-portion out slices of ham into bags. Thanks!
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    If I get hungry in the night, I usually grab a banana. I understand your situation is a bit different though
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    This surely has to be a psychological thing / habit based not actual hunger. Evidently your body has just got used to the routine. Perhaps something like hypnotherapy would be worth exploring? Or, could you try weening yourself off food and onto a glass of milk instead? Then maybe reduce that to water? I’m guessing you’re going to have to suffer for a bit to break the cycle but surely it’ll be worth it in the long run? Unless you’re happy to continue and cut your daytime calories accordingly so that you’re not overeating.
  • andreascjonsson
    andreascjonsson Posts: 433 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I usually take some quark. Very filling and delicius if you ad berries or som fun light
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    Frozen peaches already sliced, can be purchased at store.

I started this habit while seriously restricting, and I began to get up and eat at night. Long story short: in therapy it was suggested if I can’t break habit, to replace the habit. I used frozen peach slices.
  • Elizabeth1350531
    Elizabeth1350531 Posts: 8 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I tried boiled eggs last night. I boiled four to last me for a couple days and last night I ate all four. That's about 600 calories. I need to stop this behavior because it's kind of ridiculous. I even went swimming last night for 45 minutes right before bed so I would be tired and sleep through the night. I did only wake up once but I had all four eggs. Suggestions for stopping the behavior? Somebody suggested hypnotherapy. I've never tried that before and have always been a bit skeptical. But I'll take the options provided. Thank you everyone for your help.
  • Ilovecookies2001
    Ilovecookies2001 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I also take ambien and "sleep eat" and it's worse when I'm trying to watch my calories. I've tried other sleep aids but they either don't work or give bad dreams, so I stick with my ambien to sleep. I just started trying to lose weight again and I do good until after I take the ambien. Since I just started trying to lose weight again I still have bad food in the house, so I'm hoping once the junk is gone it won't be as bad. Fruits and such just doesn't fix the cravings I have on ambien, so even if I eat fruit or jello I'm going back for the chips, cookies and such. But even when I don't buy the chips and other junkfood I go for the peanutbutter by huge spoonfuls or even bake yummy treats or make pancakes which isn't a good idea to cook when I'm sleep walking (1/2 asleep)
  • SoFloGuy78
    SoFloGuy78 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Best mid-night snack food "TWINKIES"and even better mid-night snack "DEEP FRIED TWINKIES".
    but for me if I get a little craving at night I have some roast /salt pecans, or some aged cheddar cheese I have. That works for me. If you do snack at night I would say try to keep away from sweet stuff or high carbs, as it might make you more hungry after a while. Nuts, Veggies (carrot stick with some ranch dip), yogurt, cheese, all seem to work, and it is better the ice cream or potato chips. ( and yes I did eat an whole can of Pringles one night, it is just to easy to do). hope that helps.
  • iowalinda
    iowalinda Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    So what happens if there is no food there that you are interested in eating? Do you sleep walk back to bed?