Living With People That Buy Lots of Tempting Snack Foods

Options
2»

Replies

• HeyJudii
    HeyJudii Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Lots of good tips! Thank you for replies.
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    It depends on where I am in my fitness goals. In the winter I will indulge and have some of the snacks my family eats. I'm the spring and summer I will request they move them out of my sight. there is a special cabinet for their junk. I'll ask my hubby to please not leave stacks of cookies lying about. I will be tempted to eat them. My hubby works from home and leaves cookies on a napkin in his general vicinity. Its not helpful to me when I'm trying to lose.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,913 Member
    Options
    I don't recall this being an issue with past roommates, but this could be because they didn't leave trigger foods lying around.

I wouldn't want to see it. Studies show people have a finite amount of willpower. (There are cognitive tricks that can make it possible for willpower to not be an issue.)
  • darrenbeckworth
    darrenbeckworth Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    A 50 calorie snack size Snickers shouldn't ruin your whole day... moderation works for me as opposed to abstaining from yummy snacks. You can walk off small snacks easily.

I bought a 12 pack of the 40 calorie mini Cadbury crème eggs. One a day will last me two weeks and not knock off my deficit like the full size 160 calorie ones might.
  • HeyJudii
    HeyJudii Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Thank you to all those that replied with their own experiences with coping with this type of living situation.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I buy my family mostly stuff I can't eat due to a medical issue or things I don't particularly care for, but when it comes down to things I like? I ask them to hide it from me and they go along with that.
  • babysaffy
    babysaffy Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    It took me over a year of losing my temper and repeating myself with my husband but he's finally stopped buying the type of tempting biscuits and cakes that I can't resist or he'll hide them as he now gets my struggles.

I also make sure I have a small snack within my calorie allowance almost everyday. It's usually a small 95 calorie chocolate bar.
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Keep nutella away from me...and i be fine..lol
    I will eat a whole jar.
  • Maggieba
    Maggieba Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have 3 young kids and a husband who loves junk food, so there's always temptation in the house. But I figure I have to learn how to handle temptations because they'll always be there. Even when I'm no longer actively cutting calories, I will live in a world of temptations - because I don't plan on being a hermit - and I have to manage those so I don't regain the weight.

Personally, I follow IIFYM and don't believe in "bad" foods. I'm following a high protein & lower carb macro spread but still have a daily treat (chocolate, ice cream, etc). Those help me feel as though I'm not deprived and I'm better able to say no to the other stuff.

I also have a weekly refeed day where I eat at maintenance and bring my carbs up pretty high. Knowing a refeed is coming up also helps me adhere to the lower calorie days.
  • RainaL1987
    RainaL1987 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Between my kids and my husband my house is full of snacks And treats. My husband often eats breakfast from take out and eats it while I work out right in front of him. I don't really care. I guess my wants to look and feel better out way my want to eat that stuff.
  • jrochest
    jrochest Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I'd ask them to keep it out of sight -- if it's meant to be shared (and it often is, in a roommate situation where people pool their money and do a weekly shop, or see sharing food as part of a generous roomie culture) then ask them to hide it in a particular cupboard. Buy a cookie jar or non-transparent bin and ask them to put it in there. If you don't see it, it won't be so difficult; if they don't see it, they might not eat so much of it anyway.

And yes! A candy bar can fit nicely in your calories for the day without trouble, but that's only if you want to eat it: constantly having food that you DON'T want in your face is massively annoying even for normal-weight people -- the co-worker who brings in cookies or doughnuts every day or every other day, the boss who insists on keeping bowls of candy on your desk, the morning meetings that are 'catered' with danishes and not much else, roomies who buy things to 'share'. Really, really irritating. If we all had an iron will around food, none of us would be here :smiley:
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Hubby has a special cupboard where he keeps his breakfast cereals and his snack foods like gingersnaps or corn tortilla chips. I have a totally separate snack food cupboard where I keep the things I like that are on plan for me like seaweed snax, pork rinds, HardBite parsnip chips. (I know, my stuff sounds weird, but they are actually yummy savoury snacks that I enjoy - just not trigger foods for me, though)

Keep separate cupboards, or separate shelves in the fridge. Don't touch any of the roomies' stuff. That was always the rule in offices or dorm rooms where I've been....
  • ashxtasticness
    ashxtasticness Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Most of the time I can easily feed my child delicious macaroni and cheese, give her M&M's for a potty reward and watch my co-workers eat Chinese and cupcakes with the mindset of "It isn't worth it to derail your progress" but sometimes, all I want to do is pour the entire family sized pack of M&M's into my mouth and chase it with the biggest glass of whole milk. I think it's all about mindset, determination and knowing what you can and can't handle. Some people can have a handful of chocolate or a piece of pizza during while dieting with little to no setback, and some (like me) can't be tempted because we know that one piece turns in to three.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Just think ahead in the future and your roommates having to go to multiple doctors visits and taking pills for their ailments from eating junk food.

Then there’s you in stellar health, physically strong living your life not dictated by doctor visits or poor health.

Hi! I've been maintaining a 50 pound weight loss for over 15 years, live alone, and have a counter full of candy that is almost disturbing in its volume. I maintain a healthy weight and always have excellent reports at annual physical; this includes excellent blood test results and borderline too low blood pressure.

Eyes on your own paper and let them be them.

How old are you? When you head into your fifties and sixties then it comes home to roast.

What are you basing this on? There's little evidence that "junk food" will cause problems in the context of a diet where one is maintaining a healthy body weight and meeting nutritional needs.
  • amandaeve
    amandaeve Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    The hardest thing for me is when a roomie/family makes and offers me food I didn't allot for in my plan for the day. They cared, made delicious food, and I feel like I can only say no 9 out of 10 times, but that's enough to take me way off course. I have a friend with strict food limitations for health reasons, and it hurts me when I carefully make something that fits her criteria and she still says no. I don't want to be that person, and I don't want to miss out on all the fun. But I also want to honor the plan I set for myself. It's tough. The best advice I can offer is practice, practice, and every temptation is a new opportunity to honor yourself.
  • spdaphne
    spdaphne Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    My dude eats differently than me. Yes he'll eat healthy meals I cook or that wee cook together, but I ain't gonna lie that some of his delivery food like pasta, sandwiches, Korean bowls, etc., and snack foods like fruit snacks, cereal, etc., aren't tempting at times.

That being said, I know how far I've come in my own eating and remembering what my goals are health wise. I've learned what healthy, delicious treats I can eat that make me feel good and even at times, he has enjoyed too. Everyone eats the way they eat for a reason. While I wish he made better food choices and exercised, he be how he be. Maybe my habits and my progress will rub off on him one day or god forbid the doctor tells him something. We're all gonna get old one day and I hope the choices I make today will help me live a long, healthy life with minimal health problems. But that's just me.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Can you clear out a cabinet just for your roommate/s where they can store stuff you'd rather not see and know about? That way you're not dictating what they can and can't buy, and separating yourself from it at the same time.