Not losing weight! UGH

Options
want2befitnthin
want2befitnthin Posts: 9 Member
edited April 2018 in Motivation and Support
I just turned 50. I think it’s true what “they” say, it’s harder to lose weight as you get older. I never believed this statement because bottom line is, you get what you put in. So, whether your 20 years old or 50 years old, you MUST eat less, and burn more calories. But I’m finding it’s not coming off like it did when I was younger.

My dilemma is, I don’t have the will power as I once did. (That changes too, as you get older!). I used to be so good at consuming the right amount of calories, now I eat too much, and feel like can’t get a real grip on it. (was at 1800+ calories).

Also, I’m an emptynester now, you’d think I’d have all this free time to work out an hour per day - 5 days per week. But NOOOOO, something always comes up, gets in the way, or, a lot of interruptions. Not too mention, I have an hour commute coming from work to home in the evening so I don't get home until 5:30 pm.

I really don’t want to drive to a gym if I don’t have to. I’d rather work out at home.

I’m trying to stay at 1500 calories per day, some days I work out 30 minutes (Leslie Sansome or other cardio) per day, during the work week, but then 60 minutes on Saturday and then something on Sunday. And throw some weight training in there too. Though, I don’t have my weight bench set up, there’s no room so I use dumbbells.

I’m not seeing any results. My weight is fluctuating but not going down where I want it to be.
Any suggestions?

How long did it take you guys to lose 20 pounds?

How many days per week did you work out? Anyone work out at home? (My long term goal is to lose 50 pounds).

What should I eat for dinner that is tasty and healthy?

Thanks for any advice!

Replies

• want2befitnthin
    want2befitnthin Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Well, correction, we don't necessarily need to eat less, if we're weight lifting, we need more calories.
  • Time2LoseTheWait
    Time2LoseTheWait Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Congrats on making your decision to get healthier. I started working out from home when I was 50 by simply walking in my neighborhood. I did that for a long time and got to the point I was asking between 10-15 miles a day on average. I gave up sleep (getting up at 3:45) and most socializing (would walk again at night after dinner) .. I walked 5-6 days a week. And I ended up losing 35 pounds doing that. Along with my personal diet plan. I then got hurt and couldn’t walk anymore .. and gained 41 pounds back :-/ I am now 52 and starting back again and have lost 5 pounds in the last 10 days. You may just have to be a little more struck with yourself if what you have been doing is not getting results. Btw, I am trying to lose 55 pounds total this time. UGH! Feel free to add me if you’d like. Either way, congrats on your health journey!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I just turned 50. I think it’s true what “they” say, it’s harder to lose weight as you get older. I never believed this statement because bottom line is, you get what you put in. So, whether your 20 years old or 50 years old, you MUST eat less, and burn more calories. But I’m finding it’s not coming off like it did when I was younger.

My dilemma is, I don’t have the will power as I once did. (That changes too, as you get older!). I used to be so good at consuming the right amount of calories, now I eat too much, and feel like can’t get a real grip on it. (was at 1800+ calories).

Also, I’m an emptynester now, you’d think I’d have all this free time to work out an hour per day - 5 days per week. But NOOOOO, something always comes up, gets in the way, or, a lot of interruptions. Not too mention, I have an hour commute coming from work to home in the evening so I don't get home until 5:30 pm.

I really don’t want to drive to a gym if I don’t have to. I’d rather work out at home.

The above is a lot of excuses. People of all ages can make excuses--school, homework, work, kids, eldercare, etc. If it is a priority, you will find a way to make it work. If it's not a priority, that's fine--there's no moral failing in not prioritizing doing what you need to do to lose weight, sometimes it's just not the right time--but don't act like it is and then complain about how you can't lose weight.
    I’m trying to stay at 1500 calories per day, some days I work out 30 minutes (Leslie Sansome or other cardio) per day, during the work week, but then 60 minutes on Saturday and then something on Sunday. And throw some weight training in there too. Though, I don’t have my weight bench set up, there’s no room so I use dumbbells.

I’m not seeing any results. My weight is fluctuating but not going down where I want it to be.
    Any suggestions?

If you are going to do it, do it. Commit to it. Eat at the calorie level of your choosing for a month. If you haven't lost weight, drop your calories. Lather, rinse, repeat until you start seeing weight loss results.

About two months. Then it took the rest of a year to lose the next 30-odd pounds.

How many days per week did you work out? Anyone work out at home? (My long term goal is to lose 50 pounds).

Thanks for any advice!

Zero to start. No exercise until I got my eating under control, which took a month. Then I walked 3x/week for a month. Then I added bodyweight training on the in between days for a month. Then I switched from walking to couch to 5k and eventually moved from bodyweight training to lifting weights. I do 90% of my training at home.

Dinner--whatever you like and what fits in your calorie budget.

• ITUSGirl51
    ITUSGirl51 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    What are your stats? How much do you want to lose?

I lost 66 lbs and I’m 51. I work full time and an empty nester. It’s really really hard to lose weight and keep it off. You have to really want it and make it priority #1 in your life for it to happen.

I have about 5 lbs more to lose and I’ve been really hungry this week and have lost nothing (probably because I had a big lunch on Easter but I skipped dinner...) I’m frustrated and tired, but I know it will be better next week. The weight will come off if I keep consistent.
  • Wendyanneroberts
    Wendyanneroberts Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    [quote="want2befitnthin; I just turned 50.]

So have I, my birthday last October, was my target date to achieve my weight loss. I knew to lose weight I needed to eat fewer calories than I burned. While eating less and moving more works. I couldn't increase movement, because of my disability & other health issues. I knew I had to lose weight through diet alone. I had no idea how many calories I was eating or burning daily. I didn't know where to start.

Quote: [want2befitnthin]
    I think it’s true what “they” say, it’s harder to lose weight as you get older. I never believed this statement because bottom line is, you get what you put in.

I haven't found this statement to be true. My weight loss is successful this time, because of the work I have put in. It has nothing to with my age. Finding and using mfp as a tool, in the way it has been designed has really helped. Over time, I've found what works for me and fits my lifestyle. I have stopped making excuses, blaming my disability & lack of mobility, my age, flare ups of my other health conditions, lack of time etc.

I don’t have the will power as I once did. (That changes too, as you get older!).
    I used to be so good at consuming the right amount of calories, now I eat too much.
    I’m an emptynester, you’d think I’d have all this free time to work out. But NOOOOO,

Through using mfp, as intended, I have successfully lost 50.2lb and have reached a healthy bmi. But it took time, patience, determination and daily commitment. I wasn't perfect and at times it wasn't easy, but I have had great results and learnt many things along the way.

How long have you been stuck at this weight? How often/accurately are you tracking?

Any suggestions?
    1)Log everyday, no matter what, for accountability
    2) Set up mfp, find your recommended daily calorie target, and aim to hit it on a daily basis. Or check weekly, if you like to calorie cycle.
    3)Weigh everything you eat on a food scale.
    4)Check your logging accurate data in your food journal
    5)Learn what works for you, ie meal timing, snacks or not.
    6)Build on making new "good habits", that become a way of life. Small changes that can make all the difference.
    7)Focus now on a healthy meal plan, adjustable to fit different occasions. No longer on or off diet, no deadlines etc.

I lost about 21lb in about 20 weeks, at first on mfp. Planned a short break, which ended up being a much longer one (16 months, mainly maintained during that time). But recommited to using mfp 2 years ago this weekend. It's this time I have found how to use mfp, to get the best results, reflecting my hard work. In these past 2 years, I have lost another 30lbs in 24 months. Consistent tracking has given me the targets for my weight loss journey, building it on habits that will help me with a successful maintenance.

None, but this is due to my personal disability and health conditions. Exercise is definitely good for you, but not necessary for weight loss.

Choose foods that you like, recommended portions sizes that will fit your calorie allowance. Work in foods you love, within reason to help keep you sane and on track.

For more clarity, I am;
    Female; average daily intake, for past year was 1,570 calories per day, 5ft 5in and just hit a healthy bmi of 24.7. Without additional exercise.

Hope this is some help, message me if you would like to be mfp pals, for mutual support.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    What is your height, weight, and goal weight?

How long have you been trying but your weight is fluctuating up and down?

Do you use a food scale?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

What do you think is the most likely explanation for weight not coming off, your age, or your lack of willpower? What do you want it to be, something you can change, or something you can't change?

[...] some days I work out 30 minutes (Leslie Sansome or other cardio) per day, during the work week, but then 60 minutes on Saturday and then something on Sunday. And throw some weight training in there too. Though, I don’t have my weight bench set up, there’s no room so I use dumbbells.
    Exercise is good for you, but not what makes you lose weight.
    I’m trying to stay at 1500 calories per day [...] I’m not seeing any results. My weight is fluctuating but not going down where I want it to be.
    Any suggestions?
    You're either eating more than you think you are, or not being patient/weighing yourself regularly for long enough/not looking at the trend over time/sabotaging yourself by rewarding weightloss and comforting stalls with food. Tighten up your logging and be more patient.
    I can't remember, but I lost 50 pounds in a little over a year.
    I don't/didn't really work out, but I do some half-arsed exercises now and then. Just for laughs.
    Figure out what a healthy dinner means. You know what you like.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options

I have an hour and a half commute each way. But working out is my priority, so I make sure I get to it. If that means I have to take a packed dinner to town with me, walk a mile and a half to the train station after my 8pm dance class, and not get home until after 10:30 pm, then so be it. I love my dance class, so I definitely don’t let myself be completely derailed from it by random interruptions.

An hour’s commute is what I’ve had for most of my working (and now studying) life. It’s not a reason you can’t do things; it’s an excuse to avoid things that you don’t really want to do.

Maybe you should try out a few new activities and find something that you do actually want to do instead?