Is anyone else their own worst enemy?

Options
This is the BIGGEST obstacle that I have. I have been eating very well lately and I went out with friends for dinner and coffee tonight. It was a lovely time but I decided to split a brownie with my friend. I didn't really think too much of then (I worked out today and haven't slipped up at all this week), but as soon as I am alone, game over. I give myself the hardest time for the littlest things and then I think "I'll never lose the weight." I wish I could just chill out and stop beating myself up for every little thing. On top of this my weight loss has been a lot slower than anticipated :/

Does anyone else do this? How do you learn to accept that you can be successful, because as of right now I feel like I'll never achieve my goals. Boo, sorry just needed a bit of a rant haha!

Replies

• martinezrl
    martinezrl Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Don't be so hard on yourself! A diet needs to be integrated into a long-term lifestyle, and I, for one, don't want to live in a world without brownies. If you're going to treat yourself, make it count! Limit it, but enjoy it. Then go back to your healthy habits. That brownie will be swallowed up in a sea of fitness as long as it doesn't have too many fatty allies to team up with. Weird metaphor. Anyways, you're doing great!
  • megz4987
    megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I beat myself up if I slip up and have an extra slice of pizza for dinner or somthing but I just remind myself that tomorrow is a new day. Theres no making up for yesterday (double exercising, eating less the next day, etc), you just continue on the right path.
  • WishfulShrinking331
    WishfulShrinking331 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Yesss I am meaner to myself than most preteen girls are to eachother. It's really bad =[ we need to encourage ourselves
  • SixCatFaerie
    SixCatFaerie Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Yep... I do the same! martinezrl & megz4987 say what needs to be said! :-D
  • GrandmaJody
    GrandmaJody Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Treat yourself as if you are your own bestfriend, we would never rip into our bestfriends the way we rip on ourselves. I have to remind myself of this often. We can be our own worst enemy, if we are not careful! :)
  • SixCatFaerie
    SixCatFaerie Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Yesss I am meaner to myself than most preteen girls are to eachother. It's really bad =[ we need to encourage ourselves

Yep, I've thought the same! We definitely need to be nicer to ourselves! We can do this, it will just take longer than most of us probably expected. :-D
  • grouch201
    grouch201 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I still have a lot of work to do, but changing your thinking isn't easy to do, but can be done. It's just like the song goes, "You gotta accentuate the positive, eliminate the negative, latch on to the affirmative. Don't mess with Mr. Inbetween." Focus on what you like about yourself, what you have accomplished (You only had *half* a brownie, not 3 or 4!!!). You can do this! Don't hang out with people that put you down, even if it's yourself.
  • slw732
    slw732 Posts: 23
    Options
    Treat yourself as if you are your own bestfriend, we would never rip into our bestfriends the way we rip on ourselves. I have to remind myself of this often. We can be our own worst enemy, if we are not careful! :)

So true! Although I think I've been doing it so long its become a habit haha. Maybe once i start to see more results I'll ease up :)
  • slw732
    slw732 Posts: 23
    Options
    I still have a lot of work to do, but changing your thinking isn't easy to do, but can be done. It's just like the song goes, "You gotta accentuate the positive, eliminate the negative, latch on to the affirmative. Don't mess with Mr. Inbetween." Focus on what you like about yourself, what you have accomplished (You only had *half* a brownie, not 3 or 4!!!). You can do this! Don't hang out with people that put you down, even if it's yourself.

You're right, i never thought about it like that!
  • wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you. For the longest time I would get so frustrated with myself for just one little slip up and not losing weight fast enough and then I'd either push myself so hard that I'd end up injuring myself and the doctor would tell me to stop. After several injuries I finally realised that I could either continue to hurt myself and never lose weight or I could do what my doctor told me and just slow the F*** down. I'm now doing a little bit at a time. Once I took the pressure off myself, it was actually easier to lose the weight. I'm just one pound away from the three month/ 12 pound weight loss goal my doctor set for me and I don't feel as stressed out about my weight.

One brownie is not going to ruin everything and I've often been told that you should allow yourself a treat once a week instead of just depriving yourself completely. Just hang in there.
  • Mommiepootie
    Mommiepootie Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    thank you for posting this!! Ive been SO depressed lately for the same reason!!! I know its slow moving and we have to accept that :( and I too ate a small brownie with my daughter... then later cried because I thought i was losing will power....

fat calories dont come with happiness anymore :( But at the end of the day we have to just live healthy and eventually our body will follow in the same direction!

Good luck!!