Ladies! Mushroom tops...

Options
ahnpe
ahnpe Posts: 32 Member
What exercise do we include in our workouts besides straight up cardio to rid ourselves of these monsters?

Edit: the second after I made this topic I found a thread on our very own MFP. :laugh:

Here's the link: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/148751-getting-rid-of-the-muffin-mushroom-top

Replies

• JeanWalker109
    Options
    Well, that's about it. You can tone the muscle of that area, but if the fat's still there, it won't change much appearance-wise. Sometimes, gaining muscle under the fat can even make the are SEEM larger.

You're doing the right stuff. Just practice some patience along with that, and one day you'll wake up & it'll be gone!

*smiles*

Jean
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Dont where tight pants.
  • ahnpe
    Options
    Well, that's about it. You can tone the muscle of that area, but if the fat's still there, it won't change much appearance-wise. Sometimes, gaining muscle under the fat can even make the are SEEM larger.

You're doing the right stuff. Just practice some patience along with that, and one day you'll wake up & it'll be gone!

*smiles*

Jean

That's what I was afraid of! Oh well- just another excuse to hit the gym!
  • HeatherYevette
    HeatherYevette Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Dont where tight pants.

Right??? This one seems painfully obvious to me!

I've seen so many ladies out and about that could benefit from clothes that fit rather than squeeze. I'd rather LOOK slimmer in a larger size pants than walk around proudly in my smaller size (that no one can tell the size on anyway) with my muffin top bulging out of the top. It's just not a cute look!
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    i think it's the last thing to go on my body. my legs, butt, arms, face are all skinnier than pre-babies, but my stomach is at least double the size it was pre-babies... so i'm presuming i'll have to lose an extra 5-10kg more than i originally planned to get back to quite a bit lighter than i was pre-babies in order to not have a hideous mushroom top / spare tyre / muffin top that sticks out over my jeans.

and wearing bigger jeans, just doesn't work, because they hang off my butt and look like i've poo'd my pants. something that fits the butt, is tight around the belly, something that fits around the belly, sags around the legs and butt, and makes me look even bigger than i am.

hate the stomach. i'm fitter and stronger than i've ever been, but this tummy is the bain of my world.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Dont where tight pants.

I've seen so many ladies out and about that could benefit from clothes that fit rather than squeeze. I'd rather LOOK slimmer in a larger size pants than walk around proudly in my smaller size (that no one can tell the size on anyway) with my muffin top bulging out of the top. It's just not a cute look!

I truly believe that muffin top was created because women buy low rise pants in a size (or 2) smaller than they should be wearing. Sure, you have the pants on - but all you've done with the pudge is push it up and over the top of your pants.

Not attractive. At all. Buy pants that fit.
  • LoriIAM
    LoriIAM Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Wed 08/10/11 09:57 PM
    QUOTE:

Dont where tight pants.

Hear. Here. Wear your weight. You'll look and feel better.
  • ahnpe
    Options
    I don't wear tight pants at all, it's a NSV i'm just looking forward to accomplish! But thanks for your input!
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    It's not always a matter of pants size. Most of my fat is in my belly from pregnancies and I have a waist, but a natural muffin top just above it-no tight pants needed. Doing 30DS has helped take it in a bit, but it's still there.
  • ahnpe
    Options
    and wearing bigger jeans, just doesn't work, because they hang off my butt and look like i've poo'd my pants. something that fits the butt, is tight around the belly, something that fits around the belly, sags around the legs and butt, and makes me look even bigger than i am.

Exactly! I feel your pain! It's no use to buy a bigger size when you can stick with the muffin-top pants (and I usually do some personal hemming- hopefully not for too long anymore though) and tough it out with a larger top and still look like you have a backside.
  • LeelaLosing
    LeelaLosing Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    i think it's the last thing to go on my body. my legs, butt, arms, face are all skinnier than pre-babies, but my stomach is at least double the size it was pre-babies... so i'm presuming i'll have to lose an extra 5-10kg more than i originally planned to get back to quite a bit lighter than i was pre-babies in order to not have a hideous mushroom top / spare tyre / muffin top that sticks out over my jeans.

hate the stomach. i'm fitter and stronger than i've ever been, but this tummy is the bain of my world.

I hear ya, i have the same issue. if i wear pants loose enough not to pinch my waist they are way too big in my butt and thighs and everywhere. i think since i'm short and my belly is disproportionate, nothing fits right as i lose because of it. i'm gonna keep at it and try to lower my body fat as i lower my weight and hope it goes down. i have some hanging belly skin from yo-yo dieting gaining alot and losing so i've been told it won't bounce back....waaahhhh....but since i can't afford a tummy tuck yet i will keep at getting down as low as i can and at least get as close as i can.

i will say that the muffin top is less noticeable, it's just that as it goes down the belly sag looks worse :-( i'm reminding myself that it's still positive, i'm healthier, i'm getting closer to my ideal weight and it will work out all in time.
  • shelbygeorge29
    shelbygeorge29 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    It's not always a matter of pants size. Most of my fat is in my belly from pregnancies and I have a waist, but a natural muffin top just above it-no tight pants needed. Doing 30DS has helped take it in a bit, but it's still there.

Me too, I'm apple shaped. I carry my weight in my boobs and my belly, I'm like a barrel. Just lovely.
  • Maria_Cutie
    Maria_Cutie Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    ^this
    I have never had babies but, My stomach is just nasty and floppy no matter what size, High rise skinny jeans are my best friend!
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I don't wear tight pants at all, it's a NSV i'm just looking forward to accomplish! But thanks for your input!

there is an exercise I did with my trainer that was great for my side-abs - but of course Its still gonna be there until I lose the fat. I hope it will be firmer sooner with the exercise.

you take a small handweight (a light one) and you hold it above your head with your feet and body ahead and feet spread shoulder width or so, then twist into a pre-lunge position and you bring the weight down toward your feet while you dip into the kind of lunge where you bend your back knee toward the floor (front knee doesn't really move) then back up above your head and straighten your knee.

Ugh. hard to explain without a picture - maybe someone can find one bsed on my bad description
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options

there is an exercise I did with my trainer that was great for my side-abs - but of course Its still gonna be there until I lose the fat. I hope it will be firmer sooner with the exercise.

you take a small handweight (a light one) and you hold it above your head with your feet and body ahead and feet spread shoulder width or so, then twist into a pre-lunge position and you bring the weight down toward your feet while you dip into the kind of lunge where you bend your back knee toward the floor (front knee doesn't really move) then back up above your head and straighten your knee.

Ugh. hard to explain without a picture - maybe someone can find one bsed on my bad description
  • gnat45
    gnat45 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Cardio.
  • FaithsVegWorkout
    Options
    Cable oblique exercises and side planks are some of my faves.