How to not snack after dinner and blow your calorie intake.

Options
2»

Replies

• saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Like most PP suggested, I would just plan for the snack by eating less during the day. I always save enough calories for a treat at the end of the night.
  • BethClicks
    BethClicks Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    After I eat dinner, I brush and floss right away. I find that if I do that, then I don't want to eat again and have to brush/floss again. Simple little mind-trick if you don't want to save daytime calories for night-time snacking.
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    I skip breakfast and have 300-400 calories planned for after dinner. If I know I have it set aside, I enjoy it more, and try harder to keep it to 300-400 and not go over. What do I have after dinner? Really, whatever I feel like! But it's usually 1-2 drinks, and/or cheese and crackers, toast with butter, or a real treat in the form of a cookie, chocolate, or lately, Cadbury eggs or Reese's peanut butter eggs! Yes, I did just stock up today at our Kroger's half-off Easter sale!! :lol:

I do this with a calorie budget of 1450-1850 per day (avg1550). It's been working much better for me than what I used to do, which was blow through all my calories halfway through dinner, and then just say whatever and go way over everyday.
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Eat dinner later. I tend to eat between 8-10 pm. So snacking at night usually isn't an issue since I'm not hungry. My dinner is generally a lighter meal--my lunch is more substantial.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    The other way I have of maybe not blowing my calorie budget is to do some cardio at night to earn calories.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    BethClicks wrote: »
    After I eat dinner, I brush and floss right away. I find that if I do that, then I don't want to eat again and have to brush/floss again. Simple little mind-trick if you don't want to save daytime calories for night-time snacking.

I do this always. Works great for me. I think it helps if you (like me) are a little obsessive about dental hygiene and prone to cavities and stuff...so you have that added motivation not to eat/drink anything else. My husband can brush/floss right after dinner and he still snacks later anyway. hehe

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    First, I wouldn't make my partner's dinner if it sabotaged my weight loss, he could make it himself or reheat a plate made when I made my own dinner. Second, why not wait and eat dinner with him when he gets home, having a small snack earlier to tide you over? It's no fun to sit hungry and watch others eat.

You might also try having plenty of low calorie snacks such as vegetables and popcorn available, and planning to eat something when you get hungry.
  • laceyf53
    laceyf53 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Typically I do my workout in the early evening for this reason, then I'll have an extra 200 calories for snacking. I do something streamable like blogilates on Youtube, usually a15 minute targeted area blast that doesn't require shoes or weights.

Also, hot beverages. Hot lemon with water or green tea or even a few ounces of coffee help curb the desire to snack. Sour foods in general help with sugar cravings, I am a ravenous sugar eater and this has helped me tremendously. I typically start my day with a shot of apple cider vinegar and hot tea with lemon and I generally have another hot tea with lemon in the evening.

For sugary fix, I really like Lakanto drinking chocolate which is 10 calories per serving and sweetened with monk fruit. I was dyyiinngg last night for peanut butter cups that have been in the pantry, so I made some drinking chocolate with almond milk so I'd get both the hot beverage and the sweet chocolate and it worked! So experiment with liquids, particularly hot ones. Chicken soup with chicken breast, shiratake noodles, and veggies like carrots and celery is another one I make a lot. It's like 20 calories for a full cup. Make some each week and eat when hungry, then drink a glass of water and re-evaluate if you really want to snack.
  • hope25
    hope25 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I read a little about intermittent fasting so this week I have been skipping breakfast and waiting to lunch to eat. I have noticed this hems me have more calories for afternoon snacking which is my weakness. I also have been cutting my self off right after dinner. Brushing my teeth helps keep me from reaching for more snacks.