Ch-Ch-Ch-Chia! (Seeds) How do you like to consume them?

Options
SunBunzz
SunBunzz Posts: 165 Member
raij7f21kfte.jpg
Yeah, remember Chia pets?

cj9i9w7u8v0z.jpg

I just read an article that you can actually eat these seeds, that they're very good for you, and they taste pretty good! I think my reason for buying them is that they have Omega-3, fiber and calcium. All good stuff I need.

So 2 questions:

1. What's your favorite/easiest way to consume these seeds? Is it safe? (I don't have swallowing problems, but I do have slight digestive issues. In particular, it's hard for me to stay regular. (Long story) I was diagnosed with Diverticulosis and IBS. My main thing is sometimes I go up to 3 days with out going #2. I take medicine for it. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. If it worsens, I'll go back to my GI doc. I just thought I'd give these a try in a small dose. I like the fact that they make you feel full since they expand inside your stomach. Does that hurt?

2. How do they feel to digest? lol My first fear was that they would grow tiny plants inside your stomach or something. Like I'd poop out a Groot creature. :D Any discomfort at all?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Chia puddling and adding them to overnight oats are probably my favorite. I will sometimes add them to a smoothie and blend them as well.

They're safe for me, but I don't have your conditions so I can't speak to that situation.

I have never felt them expand in my stomach even when I've had them unsoaked. I don't feel anything when I'm digesting them. They don't sprout, if that is what you're worried about. Our body doesn't have the kind of environment that allows seeds to grow or sprout.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I thought you were supposed to avoid seeds when you have diverticulosis/IBS? Have you specifically asked your doctor/dietician whether these are ok for you?

Personally I don't normally have swallowing/texture issues, but I absolutely cannot stomach chia pudding. Way too slimy/clotty for me.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Smoothies, oatmeal, cream of wheat are all good for me.
    But hubby, Mom's and Mom in laws Dr. all said not ok for diverticulitis. Too small and gets trapped in inflamed pockets.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,146 Member
    Options
    mitch16 wrote: »
    I thought you were supposed to avoid seeds when you have diverticulosis/IBS? Have you specifically asked your doctor/dietician whether these are ok for you?

Personally I don't normally have swallowing/texture issues, but I absolutely cannot stomach chia pudding. Way too slimy/clotty for me.

That is exactly the reason why I don't eat chia seeds, and why I limit eating pop-corn, nuts and other seeds in general. Chia seeds may be good for the body but a diverticulitis attack (inflammation of the diverticula in the gut) is NOT!
  • madwells1
    madwells1 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    coconut vanilla chia pudding!! Yummmmy
  • mom22dogs
    mom22dogs Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I put them in yogurt and really like it.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    As pudding with peanut butter, bananas, pineapple, and shredded coconut (in milk, with a little bit of vanilla). Needless to say, I rarely have this because of the high calorie density. The seeds don't feel like anything in my stomach and don't digest any differently from anything else, and no, they will never sprout in stomach acid. They're pretty rich in fiber, so they may aid in staying regular if you are drinking enough liquid, but I'm not very familiar with diverticulosis so you may need to ask your doctor first.

ETA: that chia pet reminds me of the lentils, chickpeas, and wheat we grow in little trays on wet cotton wool for Christmas. The idea of the lentil soup I had today sprouting in my stomach made me giggle.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I have diverticulosis but as far as I know I have never suffered an attack. I know potatoes don’t agree with me but YMMV.

Chia seeds are very high calorie and are very high in soluble fiber. I therefore suggest if you do try it to soak them in water or milk (overnight) first. They gel up very much like tapioca. You only need a tablespoon per serving so I hope you didn’t get the jumbo container.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    In my oatmeal, it also acts like a thickening agent. I cook it part way than add walnuts and chia seeds (1 Tbsp.)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Another vote for chia pudding.
  • SunBunzz
    SunBunzz Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    GREAT input as always. I'll play it safe and consult my GI doc first. Thanks so much, you guys. I did try a small taste, I like them! If I can eat them, I'll be happy to mix them in stuff. They contain so many nutrients I could really use.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,146 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I have diverticulosis but as far as I know I have never suffered an attack. I know potatoes don’t agree with me but YMMV.

Chia seeds are very high calorie and are very high in soluble fiber. I therefore suggest if you do try it to soak them in water or milk (overnight) first. They gel up very much like tapioca. You only need a tablespoon per serving so I hope you didn’t get the jumbo container.

If you did, you would know that is for sure! I hope that you never do because it is a very bad experience that may last several days until antibiotics help to clear the infection and inflammation. I had several attacks thru the years and in two occasions I was prescribed antibiotics.

It starts with an bad/awful pain in the lower left side of your guts where the colon is located, and a general sense of malaise. Sometimes the pain doesn't even allow you to walk and it can radiate to the lower back too. You may also have nausea, probably related to the inflammation or even to the pain.

• georgieamber2
    georgieamber2 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    REMEMBER!!! If you are going to eat the seeds whole, soak them in a little water first... chia seeds expand in liquid so if consumed whole, and they you take a drink, they can expand and cause impactions along your tract! I find blending them into smoothies is better:) chia pudding is the texture of frog spawn hahahah
  • MeteoraTitanium
    MeteoraTitanium Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I bought a small packet from a health food shop, did a recipe involving coconut milk and yogurt. Did not like it. Binned the rest of the packet of chia seeds. Will not eat them again.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    mitch16 wrote: »

You definitely are not supposed to consume seeds, nuts, popcorn or the alike. You are supposed to consume a higher fiber diet though. My wife has suffered for years and have been warned by over a dozen doctors and several surgeons. Hers is so bad they are finally doing surgery to remove 10" from her colon next week. Its not a pleasant thing or recovery. So i would avoid.
  • kam26001
    kam26001 Posts: 2,799 Member
    Options
    If you blended them into a fine powder would they still be irritating? I blend them up in a smoothie to thicken it and add some fat.
  • AntsyAngler
    AntsyAngler Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I love just soaking 2 tablespoons in 1/2 cup of coconut milk. Very satisfying and great warm or cold.
  • Liftslikeagoddess
    Liftslikeagoddess Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Another vote for chia seed pudding here - I like the texture!

Or, yeah, stick them all in your smoothies! Nom.

I've not had any issues with them, I used to put them in my overnight oats (and would get really bad tummy cramping throughout the day) - but I found out it was the oats rather than the chia seeds for me. So, chia seed pudding is my alternative and no issues at all!
  • wefts
    wefts Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I did not think I would like them , surprise ! I really like the crunch they add to oatmeal or farina as well as the added fiber and vitamins. I now routinely make a high fiber oatmeal , oat bran , oats and chia topped with a tablespoon ground flax meal .
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I don't like them much in smoothies. I like sugary/starchy thickness for smoothies (like with bananas or oats), not the goopy kind of thickness chia makes. The difference is subtle but discernible enough for me to not like it. Same reason I love thickening sauces and soups with a roux, but not with flax seed like I attempted when I tried keto.