LADIES! What are some tips and tricks for that time of the month???

Options

Replies

• Nadspee
    Nadspee Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    This might be TMI but I switched to a menstrual cup about a year ago and I find staying active and working out to be A LOT easier. Im 100% confident that I wont spring a leak at the gym, and the cup is way WAY way more comfortable than tampons/pads and that makes me feel so much better. It's already uncomfortable enough sweating and getting swamp crotch on a non-period day, so wearing a diaper pad and getting bloody swamp crotch is the absolute worst. I love my cup. It sounds dramatic but it really changed my life for the better. :)
  • smolmaus
    smolmaus Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Nadspee wrote: »
    This might be TMI but I switched to a menstrual cup about a year ago and I find staying active and working out to be A LOT easier. Im 100% confident that I wont spring a leak at the gym, and the cup is way WAY way more comfortable than tampons/pads and that makes me feel so much better. It's already uncomfortable enough sweating and getting swamp crotch on a non-period day, so wearing a diaper pad and getting bloody swamp crotch is the absolute worst. I love my cup. It sounds dramatic but it really changed my life for the better. :)

Saaaaaaame, it's actually a life changer!

I don't make diet allowances for TOM, if I started at that I'd be making other allowances all over the place and tbh any additional cravings don't compare to my regular everyday hunger-hanger levels anyway.
  • LW3380
    LW3380 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    I stuff my face

Amen to that <3
  • Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I have to power through most of the cravings. I won't stop eating if I let myself start. I keep a few small pieces of chocolate in the house for when I really need a chocolate fix. I drink extra water and tea and just try to find something to do to stay busy. Or if I can, I sleep!
    Cramps have gotten better every months since starting with diet and exercise. But I usually still need Mortrin the first day. I will try to go lighter with my workouts for the first day or two. But I make sure to make myself workout. I always feel better when I do, and I get some extra snacking calories!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options

Another fan of menstrual cups here. Before that I used OBs. Cramps have never been an issue for me. Not sure if there's a connection.

I use normal sized cups, widely available on Amazon, for lighter days and this big one for my heavy days: https://gladrags.com/product/451/XO-Flo.html
  • kshama2001
    edited April 2018
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    The herb Black Cohosh. It might be placebo.

I'm hungrier premenstrually, but no longer have cravings. I eat at maintenance and take Black Cohosh and magnesium, which is also supposed to help with premenstrual cravings.

I used to chug a pint of Ben & Jerry's a day for a few days premenstrually, but no longer feel the urge to do that.
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I'm hungrier premenstrually, but no longer have cravings. I eat at maintenance and take Black Cohosh and magnesium, which is also supposed to help with premenstrual cravings.

I used to chug a pint of Ben & Jerry's a day for a few days premenstrually, but no longer feel the urge to do that.

I'm also just hungrier during PMS, but I don't really have cravings. During other times of the month, I don't eat until 1 PM, but during PMS, I'm ravenous by 11 AM. It's usually my reminder that PMS is kicking in for the month.
  • amandaeve
    amandaeve Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    magnesium supplements. Changed my life. That time would come, I'd eat all the chocolate in a 12 mile radius. Now I don't care for chocolate, like at all. I swear the magnesium did it. I also eat iron-rich foods a week before, that seems to reduce cramping, but the evidence for that is not as strong as the magnesium.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I'm also just hungrier during PMS, but I don't really have cravings. During other times of the month, I don't eat until 1 PM, but during PMS, I'm ravenous by 11 AM. It's usually my reminder that PMS is kicking in for the month.

Ha! That's exactly the same for me - I'm ready for lunch at 11 AM instead of 1, and it is the first sign that I am premenstrual.
  • drea2011
    drea2011 Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    It’s the worse ever! I try to make healthy versions of stuff that I crave
  • jazzy19berry
    jazzy19berry Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    When you figure out what works, let me know! It's a struggle!

Yes it is
  • mengqiz86
    mengqiz86 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    It really doesn’t affect my diet and cravings in any way. I some times work out at a slightly less intensity. My biggest challenge is to not get too annoyed at the bloat.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    When I start to feel snacky, I drink a whole can of sparkling water. If I'm still actually hingry, then I will make a more rational choice than eating 6 bowls of cereal.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Indulge a bit, but not too much, because I get IBS attacks for the first couple days.
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    When I start to feel snacky, I drink a whole can of sparkling water. If I'm still actually hingry, then I will make a more rational choice than eating 6 bowls of cereal.

I've tried to like it, but I hate sparkling water! The rest of my family loves it. It would probably help me to avoid snacking more, but I just can't.
  • Jennikitten
    Jennikitten Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I can’t help with the cravings but I find that going for a walk really helps my cramps
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options

I tried the diva cup and I never managed to get it in properly.. it just would not open, no matter how much I tried. There were so many tears and so much pain involved, I'm honestly not sure I'm ready to try again :(

Not gonna lie too, I'd have to wear a pad of some sort anyway just because of the mess created when you took it out, so it kinda defeats the purpose anyway... The only reason I considered it was so I can go swim with my kids (I don't do tampons because my period is just way too heavy).
  • AuthorNinja
    AuthorNinja Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm currently on my shark week and I'm having a "great" time. I usually skip working out on the first two days, but sometimes I'll do a light run if I think I can stand it. By day three, I'm back to my normal exercise routine. I'm typically not as hungry when I start my shark week, but on the days leading up to it I'm SUPER HANGRY :D

I think the most frustrating thing is seeing the scale increase even though I know better. I just have to keep a level head. I'm relieved whenever shark week starts because in my mind, it's Day One again.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    banana/greek yogurt nicecream. The delicious creamy cold sweetness for like 250 cals for a small bowl. Mmmmm. and the potassium, fiber and protein help