Healthy and CHEAP

Options
lizzy523sage
lizzy523sage Posts: 1 Member
I’m really trying to eat healthy and start my weight loss journey BUT I’m on a very tight budget feeding my family Please I need all the help and tips I can get p.s if any one knows how to coupon that would be great too

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    but whatever is in season/on offer. shop at the end of the day for reduced stuff. bulk buy meat/pasta/rice etc where possible to make it cheaper per portion.
  • HappyKat5
    HappyKat5 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Granted, you have to spend gas, but I always hit up the Dollar Tree Store first, you can usually find all canned vegetables and condiments there. THEN, I hit Aldi’s to get items and then when I can’t find the rest of my list, I head to our regular grocery store. Seriously, I like honey in my tea but I’m not going to spend $5 on it when I can get a lil Bear shaped honey for $1. Call me cheap, I say I’m thrifty :) I also juice a lot. If you have a small local food market, ask what they do with produce that is almost to their due date. Mine put it in the back on shelves primarily for the seniors but anyone can buy. I have tried a lot of new veggies that way...anyways, hope this helps a bit
  • avadahm
    avadahm Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Frozen veggies instead of fresh may help. They can be much cheaper and they’ll last longer because they’re frozen.

Plan ahead every week. Cook for two meals at once (stews, pastas, etc are great for this) to cut down on cost, too.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    To lose weight, you have to eat less, which should actually be cheaper.
    You don't have to "try" to eat healthy. Educate yourself on healthy eating, it's not so difficult.
    Cook and eat family meals. Base meals on cheap staples.
  • katestacy
    katestacy Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Aldi’s is a great place to shop on a budget. I get a lot of my fruits and vegetables there for cheap. I also get their hummus and guac to dip my veggies in!
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
  • kelly_stevens81
    kelly_stevens81 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Dry beans, potato, rice, pasta, oats, cabbage, spaghetti squash, cauliflower, eggs, and certain fishes can all be healthy and cheap bases for your meals. If you like the seasoning of it look to Indian cuisine for so many vegetarian options because meat is expensive unless you get it on sale.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,703 Member
    Options
    Jack Monroe has a site about cooking on a tiny budget.

https://cookingonabootstrap.com/category/recipes-food/
  • crabbybrianna
    crabbybrianna Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Dry beans, potato, rice, pasta, oats, cabbage, spaghetti squash, cauliflower, eggs, and certain fishes can all be healthy and cheap bases for your meals. If you like the seasoning of it look to Indian cuisine for so many vegetarian options because meat is expensive unless you get it on sale.

All of this, plus buying meat when on sale. I look for meat that is not only on sale, but reduced further for a quick sale because it’s nearing its expiry date. I have a very tight food budget and this is how I buy meat.
  • mortuseon_
    mortuseon_ Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Budget Bytes and https://cookingonabootstrap.com/

Lentil soups, bean-based chilis, curries (especially vegetarian ones, since beans are so much cheaper) - all foods that can be made relatively cheaply and stretch a long way.