Another activity level question :)

Options
SteamPug
SteamPug Posts: 262 Member
edited April 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
I don’t do a lot of deliberate exercise. I lift weights 3 times a week for about 15 minutes each time, but I’m aware lifting isn’t that great of a calorie burn so I’ve never bothered to track it.
As for work, I do a desk job. I know that kind of job usually comes with the level of sedentary, but I walk for 40 minutes each day to get to and from work, probably 3/4mph. Do you think this is enough to push me into lightly active? I just know that before I started work I considered myself a potato, so it definitely feels like I should be warranted an extra level now, I’ve just been a bit all over the place with my tracking so I’m really not sure what my maintenance calories are.

If t matters - age 25, 5’4”, 125lbs
Goal is 116, but I’m not in any real rush.

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Its likely those 40 min walks might take you to 5000 or 6000 steps per day which is considered lightly active. But if in doubt keep settings at sedentary and log the walks - same difference really. If you were to set it to lightly active you wouldn't log your walks.

And FWIW I'm a bit shorter (and older) and maintain at same weight as you currently are, and I eat 1950-2000 cals - I'm lightly active.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,946 Member
    Options
    I would set myself to Sedentary and log the walking.

I would also lift for longer periods of time and log that.
  • SteamPug
    Options
    Its likely those 40 min walks might take you to 5000 or 6000 steps per day which is considered lightly active. But if in doubt keep settings at sedentary and log the walks - same difference really. If you were to set it to lightly active you wouldn't log your walks.

And FWIW I'm a bit shorter (and older) and maintain at same weight as you currently are, and I eat 1950-2000 cals - I'm lightly active.
    Yeah that’s a good idea, I think I’ll log them separately on a sedentary level. Thanks!
    You maintain on as high as 2000? Well.. that’s exciting for when I reach goal weight :D
  • SteamPug
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Yeah I think I’ll do that, but I’m happy with my lifting program at the moment :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    SteamPug wrote: »

Yeah I think I’ll do that, but I’m happy with my lifting program at the moment :)

What program takes 15 minutes?
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I consider myself lightly active with lifting 5 days per week and 10-12k steps per day.

You could TRY upping yourself to lightly active, but honestly I'd also try to get a bit more movement in if you want to maintain that.
  • SteamPug
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    SteamPug wrote: »

What program takes 15 minutes?
    The one I made for myself, with input from an experienced family member. What’s your problem with it?
  • SteamPug
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    I consider myself lightly active with lifting 5 days per week and 10-12k steps per day.

You could TRY upping yourself to lightly active, but honestly I'd also try to get a bit more movement in if you want to maintain that.
    I’ll bear that in mind, thanks!