Craving Distractions

Options
So I have a giant Cadbury's Easter Egg that I received as a gift sitting, waiting for me patiently in all its delicious glory in my living room and I have had all of my calories for the day.

I have downed a pint of water and turned my mind to some puzzles so the craving has disappeared...until the next time.

What do you do when the cravings kick in?

#thisisseriousstuff

Replies

• Smileyawaw
    Smileyawaw Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Seriously, throw it in the bin

I agree with silkysausage. There's only so many times your willpower and distraction will work until it doesn't and you just eat it. When I keep decadent things in the house, it's only a matter of time before I cave and end up having it but that's after many many nights of actually dreaming about it. Just throw it out or give it to someone whom you know will enjoy it - save yourself! Good luck! :-)
  • Nooneknows21
    Nooneknows21 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Smileyawaw wrote: »
    Seriously, throw it in the bin

I agree with silkysausage. There's only so many times your willpower and distraction will work until it doesn't and you just eat it. When I keep decadent things in the house, it's only a matter of time before I cave and end up having it but that's after many many nights of actually dreaming about it. Just throw it out or give it to someone whom you know will enjoy it - save yourself! Good luck! :-)

Thank you for your advice! I am visiting a friend tomorrow so I will take it for her. I guess I hope to get to that point where I don't have any cravings for this type of stuff. Patience is a virtue! :)
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,473 Member
    Options
    First choice, pitch it. Second choice, freeze it. Maybe cut it in half. Don’t eat more than a half at one time. Looks like its 150cals. You should be able to work in a half, 75cals, as a treat here and there if you really, really want it.
  • saraonly9913
    saraonly9913 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Take a few bites and throw the rest out?
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    Throw it in the trash with the wrapper off and drown it in dish washing liquid. You won't eat it after that.
  • REDMANIV
    REDMANIV Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Great job on resisting digging in on that delicious treat. For me it is all about getting my palate to change. For the past month and a half I have abstained from eating any sort of dessertish treat, no cookies, no candy, no cake, no ice cream......... a bunch of no's. Instead of the sweets I have set myself up with healthier savory options and am no making healthier choices overall. The results my cravings have changed to the point where I see some of my favorite foods and they simply do not appeal to me anymore. When I get the urge to have something sweet I go for something that is healthier and will actually help my body and help me reach my goals. Until your palate changes.......try to get the foods you struggle with out of your home..........in time you will find that your cravings for these things will go down.....especially as you see your body start to change because of your great choices!

Cheers

Fred
  • purebredpolly
    purebredpolly Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness, throw it away! Quick!
  • Ayesha0624
    Ayesha0624 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I don't really buy "snacks" in my house just to simply avoid the temptation of eating them. BUT when I do buy snacks I have founds ways around eating what I want without going over board. For example..I like ice cream cones but they can contain an upward of 300 calories so instead I buy the mini ice cream cones at Trader Joes, which are BOMB, but only 70 calories. They are literally tiny icecream cones but still gives me the satisfaction I'm looking for without the extra calories and sugar ;)
  • noumena_
    noumena_ Posts: 45 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    You should actually probably eat it. I like what @tinkerbellang83 said about crushing it to bits and having little pieces at a time. You're not on a diet, you're making a lifestyle change. If you want treats to be any part of your new life you need to learn how to manage quantity. There's no reason to trash something if you enjoy eating it. Quantity, quantity, quantity. Make space in your calorie goal to fit it. Otherwise you'll probably someday get angry about never getting to eat treats and binge.

Edit: As for responding to your actual discussion rather than giving advice you didn't ask for haha...my go-to distraction is cleaning or napping. When those don't work I come on MFP and ask for help from my friends or browse success photos. That usually helps set my head straight about my long term goals. <3