OMG, I nearly blew my daily goal by just drinking some whole milk without thinking about it too much

Options
320 calories worth of milk in what seemed like just a few sips! I guess that's part of the value of logging stuff is you learn how easy it is to consume more than one thinks!

Replies

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Yep yep. Log and learn. Milk goes down quick too lol. GOMAD.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Pretty much all drinks are that way!
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Yep. While milk calories are pretty easy to manage, drinks can be sneaky.

I pretty much only drink water anymore. Non-water beverages are treated like any other calorie source unless I know that they're calorie negligible.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    I rarely drink milk to begin with & when I first lost most of my weight decided to try almond, coconut, & cashew milks that ranged anywhere from 35-100 calories. The only times I usually have milk is with cereal (usually I eat it dry as a snack) or when I make protein 'ice cream' concoctions.

Also skim milk has 90 calories if you wanted to give that a try.

• ap1972
    ap1972 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Had a McDonalds milkshake last night but used it as part recovery drink part dinner because of the calories
  • eric2light
    eric2light Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    ap1972 wrote: »
    Had a McDonalds milkshake last night but used it as part recovery drink part dinner because of the calories

"recovery drink" means after a workout?
  • Styggian
    Styggian Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Log it move on. tomorrow is a new day ;-)
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Sadly, I LOVE milk, so I lose ALOT of calories to it, lol. Especially since I'm one of the lucky ones who are not at all lactose intolerant, so it actually HELPS me when I have an upset stomach, by soothing the acidy feeling.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    If you think milk is shocking then avoid any nut/seed butters :'(
  • tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    eric2light wrote: »
    320 calories worth of milk in what seemed like just a few sips! I guess that's part of the value of logging stuff is you learn how easy it is to consume more than one thinks!

Milk is about as calorie dense as soda. Not all bad though as soda is sugar/carbs. Milk at least brings some healthy fats and protein in conjunction with it's lactose (sugar)

So moderation.

The one to avoid, at least for me, is skim milk. I can have the fats more than the sugar, so I find 2% or whole to be more satisfying than skim, which is not too different from drinking a soda.

So, like everything else, moderation. Weigh out those portions and enjoy in moderation.

FYI, an 8oz cup of whole milk is 140 calories, 8g protein, 11g carbohydrates and 8g fat, give or take.

That's a pretty good approximation of the macros I've been assigned by my dietitian. I supposed to get 40% of my calories in carbs, and the other 60% in fats and protein.

Milk is 31% carbs and 69% fats and protein.

Pretty good composition, in moderation.