Is food/water weight gain noticeable

Options
takemetosingapore19
takemetosingapore19 Posts: 86 Member
edited April 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi!

So I was wondering if someone’s weight is up a few pounds from food and water NOT FAT, is it still the same visually as if the person had gained 5lb of fat? I have always wondered this. I did a google search and could find nothing. It’s just my curiousity that is making me ask this question. I know 5lb ish is a lot different on some people vs others, and in general is not a significant amount of weight. I’m wondering about the difference ( if there is one) visually between fat gain and water/ food gain?

Replies

• JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    i mean...as far as i see not really fat gain could be anywhere on the body wouldnt food weight just look like a food baby in your belly lol. Sodium could cause water retention all over though
  • peggy_polenta
    peggy_polenta Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    it would depend how overweight a person is. if they are 100 pounds over weight, then prolly not. if they are 10 pounds overweight, then yes. 5 pounds of water retention is noticeable on me in the mirror and i get puffy and my pants don't fit. if my pants don't fit, then i assume its noticeable to others.
  • takemetosingapore19
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    i mean...as far as i see not really fat gain could be anywhere on the body wouldnt food weight just look like a food baby in your belly lol. Sodium could cause water retention all over though

Haha! This is exactly what I think... I mean food weight would be in your stomach (food baby) instead of spread out over your body like fat would! I just don’t see how it can be visible besides stomach bloating and maybe a puffy face.
  • takemetosingapore19
    Options
    karen8787 wrote: »
    it would depend how overweight a person is. if they are 100 pounds over weight, then prolly not. if they are 10 pounds overweight, then yes. 5 pounds of water retention is noticeable on me in the mirror and i get puffy and my pants don't fit. if my pants don't fit, then i assume its noticeable to others.

Thanks for the insight !
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    It seems to be the same visually to me. If I gain a few pounds of water weight because of my cycle or eating too many carbs, I see it immediately...in my face and also in how certain slim fitting clothes fit. I can't tell the difference between water weight and actually gaining fat.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    On holiday I can gain 5-10lbs that is mostly water and some food baby. It looks and feels (uncomfortable) much different than a fat gain.

I lose my ankles, get a huge belly, and don't fit my shoes or rings. I also have 2 sizes of clothing with me.
    (I weigh 100-105lbs for ref)

A fat gain in the 5-10lbs range is more evenly spread, slight emphasis on abdomen, and, for me, doesn't usually need an extra size in clothing until the 10lbs, maybe (I don't really know as I have maintained within a 5 lbs range for 9 yr).

Cheers, h.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    It depends.. how lean I am and what kind of water weight. Bloat makes my belly look a lot larger, water retention from exercise is throughout the muscles and the pump actually looks great. 5 lbs of fat gain on me looks fine, it generally distributes pretty evenly, mostly in the lower body which makes me look more curvy and is hard to notice.
  • Tblackdogs
    Tblackdogs Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I've never noticed it!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Not to others, but to ourselves because we feel our clothes tighter or our stomachs bloated.
  • mazcor536
    mazcor536 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Water weight creates a little muffin top that isn’t there usually for me.
  • jefamer2017
    jefamer2017 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Hi!

So I was wondering if someone’s weight is up a few pounds from food and water NOT FAT, is it still the same visually as if the person had gained 5lb of fat? I have always wondered this. I did a google search and could find nothing. It’s just my curiousity that is making me ask this question. I know 5lb ish is a lot different on some people vs others, and in general is not a significant amount of weight. I’m wondering about the difference ( if there is one) visually between fat gain and water/ food gain?

My boyfriend looks at least 10lbs heavier every time he eats. Especially if it's something with a lot of water like soups. It's the craziest thing I have ever seen.
  • KrazyKrissyy
    KrazyKrissyy Posts: 322 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Hi!

Possibly. I know when my digestive issues used to be very bad, I would literally look 5 months pregnant after eating certain foods and rapidly gained 15-20 pounds (all which I lost in a matter of only 2 days when my GI doctor gave me a suprep). I was eventually diagnosed with colonic inertia and gastroparesis. Fiber is not my friend.
  • takemetosingapore19
    Options
    Hi!

My boyfriend looks at least 10lbs heavier every time he eats. Especially if it's something with a lot of water like soups. It's the craziest thing I have ever seen.

Wow he must have a medical condition.
  • nettiklive
    nettiklive Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Hi!

Possibly. I know when my digestive issues used to be very bad, I would literally look 5 months pregnant after eating certain foods and rapidly gained 15-20 pounds (all which I lost in a matter of only 2 days when my GI doctor gave me a suprep). I was eventually diagnosed with colonic inertia and gastroparesis. Fiber is not my friend.

I suspect this is what I have too although I haven't gotten around to having the test (something about eating radioactive eggs puts me off lol...); but I've been diagnosed with IBS, I have chronic constipation to the point that it's my normal, I get uncomfortably full with very small portions (and sometimes even just water), and I can't tolerate any fibrous foods, anything that's supposed to have even the slightest laxative effect, doesn't, it just makes me bloat like a puffer fish and look pregnant and causes painful gas.
    I also retain water weight in my legs a lot, particularly at PMS or after workouts, I literally can't get my regular jeans on, my legs will swell like crazy :/
  • mywayroche
    mywayroche Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I can see bloating if it's just a massive number deus brewing. I can't see the difference in my body if I lose 5lbs though because it isn't as isolated
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1" and unlike middlehaitch, I can see very small bits of fat gain/loss because they tend to stay isolated to my thighs rather than happening in an even distribution. I've pretty much leaned out everywhere else but there, so they are the last stand for my vanity weight that I take off/put back on.

Food babies/bloat? That's strictly an abdominal thing.

Water retention? That's all over, even in my face.