Pre and post workout meal ideas

Options
Hi! I am very vey new to lifting. I want to recomp as I am at a good weight but I have stubborn belly fat. Just wondering about what you all eat before and after your lifting sessions! Thanks in advance

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I don't generally eat anything before, just whatever my last meal was (usually 2-3 hours prior), and then I eat dinner when I get home as a postworkout.

Eat what makes you train well, and focus on your daily nutrition/calories. I don't like training with a belly full of food, so I don't eat!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    The timing of nutrients isn't as important as your total diet. If you are recomping, what is mote important is your training protocol. Following a well structured lifting routine will yield the best results.

I eat dinner a few hours before and nothing after since its 10 pm at night.
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I don’t think post workout maters at all. I normally do have some protein about 2/3 hours after but that is just when I could use a snack and about 5 hours since last meal.

I do eat before every session now for 2 reasons. First is I have more energy during session. Important for getting the most volume I can. Second is research has shown that a feeding of protein prior to resistance training can push you from catabolic to anabolic even during training.

I don’t think you need a huge meal but like 25g of carbs and protein seem to give me enough energy. No idea if protein is really helping but easy to drink some whey and banana.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    "Just wondering about what you all eat before and after your lifting sessions!"

My normal foods in my normal eating schedule.
    Unless you have lofty performance or body composition goals an effective training program and an overall healthy diet are all you need.

What is your training routine?
  • alexmose
    alexmose Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

Unless you have lofty performance or body composition goals an effective training program and an overall healthy diet are all you need.

I am literally just starting out, lifting about 30-45 mins a day. One day upper, one lower, trying to do some core and cardio when I have time. I am looking to recomp as I’m a good weight, just skinny fat.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    nothing before i go to the gym first thing in the morning, And when i get home ill make a mix of something with carbs and protein purely because thats what i like. Lately its been nicecream made with bananas and greek yogurt lol. Because yum. Not because i have to or there is any benefit to food timing.
  • jamesakrobinson
    jamesakrobinson Posts: 2,149 Member
    Options
    I lift in the evening so my "post workout" is usually just supper, whatever that is on any day but always lots of meat even on a rest or cardio day.

LOL lately I have been having an Oh Henry chocolate bar just before I walk over to the gym to lift. Probably not something everyone would want to do.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    alexmose wrote: »

I am literally just starting out, lifting about 30-45 mins a day. One day upper, one lower, trying to do some core and cardio when I have time. I am looking to recomp as I’m a good weight, just skinny fat.

You'd be better off doing full body routines if you are only going to do 2 days.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    alexmose wrote: »

It's your training you need to optimise first (or improve at least) - that's where the muscle stimulus for growth starts.
    x2 full body would most likely be twice as effective as what you are doing now. Two cycles of training and recovery for all muscles twice a week as opposed to the once per muscle group per week you are getting from your split upper/lower routine.

My daughter is in the same position as you and she is doing a simple full body routine, all big compound lifts, twice a week as that's all the time she can get to the gym.
  • jolley07
    jolley07 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I prefer to have a small cardio session in the morning during my fast. Maybe 15 minutes of jump rope. I eat what I eat during the day and try not to worry about pre and post gym meals. I do like to take a pre workout supplement (PMD Insanity). As far as post workout goes I take a quick protein shake + creatine to keep it simple.
    There's all sorts of different ideas floating around. I tried a few and chose the one that works best for me and my current lifestyle.