How to lose fat from thighs

Options
cxeex
cxeex Posts: 121 Member
I’ve noticed my weight loss everywhere except my thighs.
What exercises should I focus on to lose fat from my thighs?

Replies

• cxeex
    Options
    I’ve read a few different things. Some say squats then others say avoid squats as this builds muscle and can make them bigger :s
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    For me, thigh fat is the last fat to go. I need to keep eating in a calorie deficit to do this. Exercising does nothing to spot reduce.

I do exercise to maintain my muscles, and I have pretty muscular quads (which I wish weren't quite so muscular but they're genetic). I walk a lot, I'm thinking that if my arthritis eases up I might pick up running again this spring, and I lift weights (nothing major, but it is progressive resistance training).
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    cxeex wrote: »
    I’ve read a few different things. Some say squats then others say avoid squats as this builds muscle and can make them bigger :s

Would you rather have shapely legs, hips, and glutes or flabby/flat? The only way to get that is a good program and diet. If you feel your legs need to lose size it is likely fat tissue and deficit is only way to change that.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    You can't spot reduce. Keep working on losing weight and you'll eventually lose from there.

Maybe... ;)
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    You can't spot reduce. Keep working on losing weight and you'll eventually lose from there.

You will, but it may depend how low you want to go. I'm at a bmi of 20 and carry almost all my fat in my thighs and am really ambivalent about losing more just to try to drop my thigh size. On one hand, I'd like to, but on the other I don't seem to be motivated enough to maintain the deficit required (particularly while training for ultramarathons...damn runger)
  • cxeex
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I have lost just over a stone and a half with healthy eating and calorie counting. Perhaps I am just impatient :D
    Will just keep at it :)
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options

I have been power walking for a little over 3 years now and have been running for about the past year. I Notice that my legs seem thinner but more defined than they used to be. I have lost about 50 lbs. so far, but still have some belly fat to get rid of, but my legs have no fat in them.

Not sure if it's from all the power walking and running, or just the way I lose though.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    You can't exercise fat. Just be patient.

I realized my legs would never be small so after I cut all my original weight I just worked on making them better and muscely.
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    OldAssDude wrote: »

I have been power walking for a little over 3 years now and have been running for about the past year. I Notice that my legs seem thinner but more defined than they used to be. I have lost about 50 lbs. so far, but still have some belly fat to get rid of, but my legs have no fat in them.

Not sure if it's from all the power walking and running, or just the way I lose though.

It's how you lose fat. I run heaps (marathons/ultramarathons) and carry my excess weight in my thighs with very little on my belly.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,392 Member
    Options
    nettiklive wrote: »
    I was reading an interview with Lyle MacDonald who wrote "The Stubborn Fat Solution" where he was saying that thigh fat in women is particularly stubborn due to the receptors in the fat cells that make them extremely resistant to being mobilized for energy. He said that even female bodybuilders at very low body fat percentages can still have fat in these places, and sometimes, if body fat is low enough and there's basically no extra fat anywhere else, the body will actually burn muscle because it simply can't get the fat out of these cells to burn. Don't know how much truth there is to that but it resonated with me as a fellow pear, and my sister is the exact same shape, she is a fitness nut who works out and watches her nutrition and is in great shape everywhere else but still has large legs. I'm only happy with my legs when I get down to 110 lbs or under at 5'4; anything over that and it goes straight to my legs without going anywhere else, sadly. You can see every rib in my upper body.

Not sure about that statement, but when I was 55kg and 169cm I still had lots of fat on my thighs. Nothing I can do about it. Genetics.