Let's vent about things you can't out loud.

Options
2»

Replies

• DaylightDuchess
    DaylightDuchess Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    It's super creepy to me how interested my friend is in her 15 year old daughter's social life and how obsessed she seems with her daughter in general. She has an entire instagram of just modeling-type photos of her daughter. Begs to straighten her hair. Buys whatever she wants. Made her husband trade cars to have a "cuter" car to hand down to their daughter next year when she turns 16. Last night, my husband and I were at the mall and we ran into her daughter walking out of a store with friends. Her mom (my friend) was walking 10 feet behind them like paparazzi.

Why!?

Because she wasn't happy about how things were when she was 15 and is living through her daughter. She thinks if she makes her daughter "cool", she'll be "cool'.

Yes, those were finger air quotes....

Yep. She's living vicariously through her daughter. I actually see it a lot with some of the moms of my 14 year old daughter's classmates. Really unhealthy.
    What is mom going to do when daughter is out of the nest? She needs her own identity.

I definitely agree, she needs her own identity!

Before she was like this, she focused on home decor honestly. She spent the better part of ten years being Martha Stewart and perfecting her house, constant DIY projects.

I actually worry that she's got an unhealthy interest in some of her daughter's classmates too, especially boys a little older like 17-18. They constantly Snapchat and whatever else (I have no idea because I am 41 and all of my friends are in their thirties and forties, not their teens). I feel like these teens have gotta be half laughing at my friend, who wants to constantly chat with their peer's mom? I don't know...

This' enraging me, now! *Exiting Thread*
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    It's super creepy to me how interested my friend is in her 15 year old daughter's social life and how obsessed she seems with her daughter in general. She has an entire instagram of just modeling-type photos of her daughter. Begs to straighten her hair. Buys whatever she wants. Made her husband trade cars to have a "cuter" car to hand down to their daughter next year when she turns 16. Last night, my husband and I were at the mall and we ran into her daughter walking out of a store with friends. Her mom (my friend) was walking 10 feet behind them like paparazzi.

Why!?

Because she wasn't happy about how things were when she was 15 and is living through her daughter. She thinks if she makes her daughter "cool", she'll be "cool'.

Yep. She's living vicariously through her daughter. I actually see it a lot with some of the moms of my 14 year old daughter's classmates. Really unhealthy.
    What is mom going to do when daughter is out of the nest? She needs her own identity.

Before she was like this, she focused on home decor honestly. She spent the better part of ten years being Martha Stewart and perfecting her house, constant DIY projects.

I actually worry that she's got an unhealthy interest in some of her daughter's classmates too, especially boys a little older like 17-18. They constantly Snapchat and whatever else (I have no idea because I am 41 and all of my friends are in their thirties and forties, not their teens). I feel like these teens have gotta be half laughing at my friend, who wants to constantly chat with their peer's mom? I don't know...

Snap chat with teenagers??? Yeah no thanks. Thats just *kitten* weird.

Right!? My other good friend snapchats occasionally too but just with her son (also 15) and agrees it's totally weird. Recently we were shopping in H&M for some fun clearance stuff, jeans and sweaters, nothing too teenaged, and the friend who is obsessed with her daughter said she was totally embarrassed that we were in there "like teenagers" and she wouldn't look at ANYTHING for herself, only for her daughter. She acted like we were being insane. Granted, H&M isn't the ideal grown up store but nothing wrong with it in my opinion. It was strange! And we are all the same age and size, basically. So weird.

What does her husband think about all of that? Nothing wrong with H&M, sounds like the friend has gone off the deep end.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options

Why!?

Right!? My other good friend snapchats occasionally too but just with her son (also 15) and agrees it's totally weird. Recently we were shopping in H&M for some fun clearance stuff, jeans and sweaters, nothing too teenaged, and the friend who is obsessed with her daughter said she was totally embarrassed that we were in there "like teenagers" and she wouldn't look at ANYTHING for herself, only for her daughter. She acted like we were being insane. Granted, H&M isn't the ideal grown up store but nothing wrong with it in my opinion. It was strange! And we are all the same age and size, basically. So weird.

What does her husband think about all of that? Nothing wrong with H&M, sounds like the friend has gone off the deep end.

Her husband is as crazy as her which I'm sure accounts for some of this madness.
    He spends a lot of time meditating in the walk in closet and photographing old books alongside candles and things, for his instagram.

• marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options

Why!?

Her husband is as crazy as her which I'm sure accounts for some of this madness.
    He spends a lot of time meditating in the walk in closet and photographing old books alongside candles and things, for his instagram.

They sound like they deserve each other. Hopefully mom snaps out of it and leaves her daughter alone.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    jojo6mfp wrote: »

Why!?

Sounds like she has visions of grandeur, she just snobbed you in H&M . Her world
    Will crash and burn when her daughters hormones kick in and she starts rebelling.

I don't really think she has visions of grandeur so much re: H&M, her clothes come from Target and Walmart and she's rather frumpy, to be perfectly honest about it. Me and our other friend are a lot trendier and we don't try to look younger than our ages (i.e., we're not in Hot Topic buying hoodies) but I think to this woman her 1 duty is TO BE A MOM and she's lost touch with having her own style. (edited to add, ALL of my friends are moms and don't necessarily do this)

TOTALLY agree about her daughter's hormones kicking in etc, though. She seems like a very normal 15 year old, possibly even a little on the wild side, and I am waiting for her to tell mom to back off.