Is biking good exercise?

Options
Hey guys!
So today I am off to buy a bike with my partner. We both love biking and plan on biking for around 3 hrs per day (going to different places for a coffee or picnic) or just general riding.
Is this good exercise to start off with? I can't afford a gym membership as of yet but I do walk my dog for around an hour per day and my job consists of running around after children all day (nursery nurse)
If I do biking on top of that do you think it is a good way to burn calories? Just riding on redways etc.
Thanks!!

Replies

• huntersvonnegut
    huntersvonnegut Posts: 1,176 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Anything that helps you stay active is good. Enjoy your rides and stay safe.
  • chloe_wearmouth
    chloe_wearmouth Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    It's low impact on your joints, can take you to some beautiful places, can replace car use for some journeys, can be very social or a solitary pursuit, can burn as many calories as the amount of time and effort you are prepared to invest in it, endlessly challenging if that's your thing. I also find it mentally/emotionally refreshing.

I would say that in your routine the one thing you are potentially missing is strength/resistance training. It has very different benefits. (By the way - strength training doesn't have to be done in a gym.)

Invest in good quality cycling shorts while you are buying your bike. They make a world of difference!

Hey thanks for that! So do I need to do strength training alongside everything else? There is SOME that I do without meaning to (carrying 3 year olds up and down stairs, lifting children up and down onto changing table, carrying heavy-ish boxes, lifting heavy toys and boxes) but this is all just general stuff so I am assuming you mean I should add some extra in on the side? Ive got lots of empty milk bottles I could fill with sand and Ive got some dumbells somewhere if these would be any good to start?
    Thanks!
  • chloe_wearmouth
    Options
    Anything that helps you stay active is good. Enjoy your rides and stay safe.

Thankyou!! Im so excited to start! :)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    It's low impact on your joints, can take you to some beautiful places, can replace car use for some journeys, can be very social or a solitary pursuit, can burn as many calories as the amount of time and effort you are prepared to invest in it, endlessly challenging if that's your thing. I also find it mentally/emotionally refreshing.

I would say that in your routine the one thing you are potentially missing is strength/resistance training. It has very different benefits. (By the way - strength training doesn't have to be done in a gym.)

Invest in good quality cycling shorts while you are buying your bike. They make a world of difference!

Hey thanks for that! So do I need to do strength training alongside everything else? There is SOME that I do without meaning to (carrying 3 year olds up and down stairs, lifting children up and down onto changing table, carrying heavy-ish boxes, lifting heavy toys and boxes) but this is all just general stuff so I am assuming you mean I should add some extra in on the side? Ive got lots of empty milk bottles I could fill with sand and Ive got some dumbells somewhere if these would be any good to start?
    Thanks!

"Need too" and "would be good to" are different perspectives.

Something maybe worth looking into would be bodyweight exercises, very easy to fit into a busy schedule and no (or little) equipment required. Dumbbells are useful too of course.

Worth investigating this thread to see if something grabs your interest....
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • chloe_wearmouth
    Options

Thanks!

"Need too" and "would be good to" are different perspectives.

Something maybe worth looking into would be bodyweight exercises, very easy to fit into a busy schedule and no (or little) equipment required. Dumbbells are useful too of course.

Worth investigating this thread to see if something grabs your interest....
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Ahh I get it thanks! Ill take a look at that now! Appreciate the help!
  • flowerhorsey
    flowerhorsey Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    When my kids were small I had a trailer hooked up to my bike and we cycled everywhere, to school, library, Walmart, Starbucks..etc.. I loved it! And my body got very lean and strong from it.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I just got into biking last summer. I love it and it's a great way to explore your surroundings. Agree about the cycling bottoms. That's one area where you don't want to go cheap but you can find deals out there. I agree about the strength training too and I can see how it helps me in my rides. Good luck!
  • chloe_wearmouth
    Options
    Thanks guys!! Bought my bike today and pick it up Thursday! Woohoo!!!
  • 2baninja
    2baninja Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    good for you, have fun and ride safe
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    Biking is just one of various things you can do to exercise.

If you enjoy it, do it but there are other options that can be as good for you as well.

Just walking can be good for you, especially if you do it regularly and w/enough effort to put some stress on your heart and lungs.

I personally don't like biking (even though I own an expensive spin bike) and absolutely detest running. I also seldom walk anywhere, no time for that in my daily routine.

However, I enjoy hiking for miles (10 or more) when the weather's nice and rowing 10k meters for an hr a day at home to burn cals and to benefit my aerobic and cardiovascular systems.

I also enjoy lifting (less now than before) but you don't burn many cals doing that. The benefits in lifting come from strength and muscular development.

Together, some form of cardio (be it biking or something else) combined w/lifting AND weight control will lead to better overall health and physical fitness, which I believe is the ultimate objective.

• chloe_wearmouth
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »

If you enjoy it, do it but there are other options that can be as good for you as well.

Just walking can be good for you, especially if you do it regularly and w/enough effort to put some stress on your heart and lungs.

I personally don't like biking (even though I own an expensive spin bike) and absolutely detest running. I also seldom walk anywhere, no time for that in my daily routine.

However, I enjoy hiking for miles (10 or more) when the weather's nice and rowing 10k meters for an hr a day at home to burn cals and to benefit my aerobic and cardiovascular systems.

I also enjoy lifting (less now than before) but you don't burn many cals doing that. The benefits in lifting come from strength and muscular development.

Together, some form of cardio (be it biking or something else) combined w/lifting AND weight control will lead to better overall health and physical fitness, which I believe is the ultimate objective.

Ahh right okay so hypothetically if I rode 4 miles a day and then came home and did some exercise and a bit of weight training that would help lose weight AND tone me up? Sorry this probably sounds really stupid, Im just new to this
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options

Ahh right okay so hypothetically if I rode 4 miles a day and then came home and did some exercise and a bit of weight training that would help lose weight AND tone me up? Sorry this probably sounds really stupid, Im just new to this

It all depends on how much you eat. Your calorie intake must be less than you burn or you won't lose anything.
  • chloe_wearmouth
    Options
    Rocknut53 wrote: »

It all depends on how much you eat. Your calorie intake must be less than you burn or you won't lose anything.

Ahh cool thanks!