Weight Loss While Travelling?

Options
I'm off travelling round South East Asia next week...

And I’m a bit worried about gaining weight while I’m out there. I’ve worked really hard to get where I am today, finally happy with my weight, and I just don’t want it to all go to waste. I’m anticipating being quite active and on-the-go all day exploring things, lots of walking etc, and from what I’ve heard a lot of the cuisine is lighter and fresher than in the West (chicken, soup, noodles, vegetables, tropical fruit etc). I’ll be going out there for almost a month and praying I don’t gain. I'll be backpacking around, so carrying a rucksack round a lot, lifting it up etc, doing a bit of cycling etc. I'm sure I'll also fall victim to an upset stomach a couple of times, too.
Obviously this is the trip of a lifetime so I will be keen to try a range of different foods that I can't eat at home, but I know that a month off track is enough time to completely undo my hard work.

Have any of you followers been to South East Asia? (predominantly Thailand, Vietnam & Cambodia) Or do you know anyone that has?

Did you lose or gain while you were there?

Replies

• surfino
    surfino Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am a commercial pilot, traveling usually means walking a lot as you said. Cuisine there is A LOT better than our west one. Don't worry you'll loose a lot. Everytime i go to some eastern places i loose a lot..
    Also the "loose" of your standard habit is a boost in your metabolic functions, you'll be amazed when back in your country!
    smile :)
  • gritgirl
    gritgirl Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    South East Asia? No worries. I traveled to Japan for 2 weeks several years ago and lost 10 pounds because the food I was eating was so much lower in fat (rice, vegetables, fish, etc).

Then there was the trip to Denmark where I also lost 10 pounds due to lighter eating and lots of walking. I guess I should travel internationally to lose weight. :-)

Have fun.
  • MikeInAZ
    MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    If you hear dogs barking in the back and strange looking meat in the front, walk away!
  • ritchiela
    Options
    I started loosing weight right before the summer started, I was planning on sticking to my diet all summer well this is my story.

I live in the US, but for the summer, am in the Dominican Republic, EVERYDAY the maid here makes white rice and pinto beans some sort of meat and sometimes vegetables. I'm not one to complain about the food, It's just a Dominican thing they eat this stuff everyday and since i'm traveling, well I decided to go a little bit off my diet which was a bad decision, every time we went out to eat we went to pizza joints, burger bars, the worst places possible but my goodness was it delicious.

Once i noticed my weight pack back on I started to realize what I had done, my previous weight loss was gone and back on me so quickly. Well Now, I am starting over, I no longer eat the white rice and beans for lunch and as for dinners, i try and stay away from going out ALL the time. treat yourself once in awhile but don't do it everyday. Luckily there is a pool here so I am slowly getting back into an exercise routine I can keep up with while still enjoying this place.

I guess my best advice is if you're traveling, don't ever hold back on the food around the world you may not get the chance to eat again. Give yourself limitations though, you wont enjoy your travel if you're constantly worried about losing or gaining weight.

Exercise when you can. Even if you do something little like jumping jacks, stretching, cruntchs or even walking for 10-30 min a day.

Best of luck.
  • surfino
    surfino Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    If you hear dogs barking in the back and strange looking meat in the front, walk away!

eheh you're right man!
    In china they do eat DOGS and they look at us as weirdos just because we eat rabbits.. different habit, maybe.. madness
  • mike20603
    mike20603 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    My tips for travel:

a. Carry some snacks...unless you're a solo hiker, there's no telling when or where your next meal could be. This often leads to,"I'm starving, lets eat here". Carrying some nuts/fruits/etc can keep you from overloading once you sit down to that relaxing four-hour meal...

b. Plan as much as one can. Schedule in some fine dining (as it is) to contrast the street-cart fare.

c. Watch the bread; its a huge staple for calories and carbs (much needed in most parts of the world), but less is best for a healthly diet.

d. Don't fuss about the food and be a pain for your fellow travellers :) Play nice, and if you can't find the perfect healthly meal on the road, get the delicious unfit one...and just eat less of it.

Happy and safe travels.
  • littlemili
    littlemili Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I recently went away for a month and lost weight. In my experience it's always the way because there will be meals you skip accidentally, tons of walking to be done, and for me a big factor was food allergies and restrictions. Hot weather is also a great appetite killer so if the weather's nice you're in for a win. Just be smart on portion control and you WILL be fine :)