Salad ideas?

Options
Hello everyone,

I'm looking for some salad ideas. I'm really trying to increase the amount of raw vegetabes I eat, but struggling. I absolutely love a leafy side salad with cherry tomatoes at a restaurant, but when I try to recreate it at home I end up with a bitter, soggy, bland mess. I can't get the dressing right (the one I've had at restaurants is a citrusy, oily, vinegary light dressing that I just cannot make right). Any meat I try to make for later just tastes weird and tough after getting out of the fridge.

I also love middle eastern salad (finely cubed tomato, cucumber etc) but again fail at recreating the taste.

Is anybody willing to share a home salad recipe that will taste good?

Thank you!

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I buy a bag of broccoli slaw and mix it with whatever lettuce I have. I love roasted peppers in the jar. Sometimes I make pico or use jarred salsa as salad dressing. Flavored tuna or salmon pouches are good, or just left over meat. Some stores have pre-cooked pre-sliced frozen chicken breast that is easy to heat and add. You could try a light vinaigrette dressing and squeeze fresh citrus on your salad at the last minute.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Ina Garten has a Greek Dressing recipe that is amazing! I use the same dressing recipe to create an Italian one too. Both are amazing.

This is from memory, but it's something like this:

1/2 Cup "Good" Red Wine Vinegar (you have to say that if it's an Ina recipe!)
    1 Cup "Good Quality" Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    3 cloves fresh garlic
    1 tsp Dijon Mustard
    1 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp pepper
    1 Tsp Dried Oregano

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/greek-salad-recipe-1948517

Here it is, it's excellent! I usually double it so I forgot it's actually two tsp salt, one full tsp pepper and two tsp Oregano.

Blend in a Ninja or blender.

If you want it Italian, replace the Red Wine with Balsamic Red Wine and use Italian Seasoning.

I'm telling you, once I made this recipe, I never bought another dressing!

This is a basic dressing recipe - most have oil, either vinegar (or fresh lime/lemon Juice) -- two to one oil over vinegar/juice, seasonings, a little mustard (to help hold it together) and perhaps sugar/honey if it's a sweeter dressing.

That Citrus one would be like 1 cup Olive oil, 1/2 cup fresh juice (like lime), 1 to 2 Tsp sugar or honey, perhaps some Garlic and onion powder and a Dijon or honey mustard to bind it. I also like to use Frozen OJ/Pineapple juice for some citrus dressings too.

For a Greek Salad, I like this:

Romaine (washed and chopped fine)
    Cucumber (striped and chopped)
    Ripe Tomatoes - Diced
    Red Onion - Diced
    Pepperocini's
    Chick Peas (drained, rinsed)
    Feta Cheese (I use Goat Feta)
    Kalamata Olives
    Diced poached Chicken Breast (cooked on medium low with Chicken Broth)

For Italian

Romaine again
    Diced Tomatoes
    Cubed Mozzarella
    Pepperoni
    Red Onion
    Mild Cherry Peppers
    Red Pepper
    Artichokes

• jasminetahiti
    jasminetahiti Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I buy a bag of broccoli slaw and mix it with whatever lettuce I have. I love roasted peppers in the jar. Sometimes I make pico or use jarred salsa as salad dressing. Flavored tuna or salmon pouches are good, or just left over meat. Some stores have pre-cooked pre-sliced frozen chicken breast that is easy to heat and add. You could try a light vinaigrette dressing and squeeze fresh citrus on your salad at the last minute.

Thank you! These are great ideas, I like the idea of a slaw (no sauce but the grated veg). What makes it quite difficult in my case is that I live in Northeastern Europe -- pretty difficult to find ready-to-eat food in stores, so I need to find methods that will work at home from scratch.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Ok, so shred cabbage and broccoli stems and make your own slaw
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I don't know what it is, but the salads I make at home are never as delicious and satisfying as ones in a restaurant. I think it has something to do with hating bottled salad dressings. It's worth the time and effort to make your own.
  • jasminetahiti
    Options
    I don't know what it is, but the salads I make at home are never as delicious and satisfying as ones in a restaurant. I think it has something to do with hating bottled salad dressings. It's worth the time and effort to make your own.

So true! I guess it takes some experimentation to get it down :-D
  • jasminetahiti
    Options
    Ina Garten has a Greek Dressing recipe that is amazing! I use the same dressing recipe to create an Italian one too. Both are amazing.

3 cloves fresh garlic
    1 tsp Dijon Mustard
    1 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp pepper
    1 Tsp Dried Oregano

Here it is, it's excellent! I usually double it so I forgot it's actually two tsp salt, one full tsp pepper and two tsp Oregano.

If you want it Italian, replace the Red Wine with Balsamic Red Wine and use Italian Seasoning.

This is a basic dressing recipe - most have oil, either vinegar (or fresh lime/lemon Juice) -- two to one oil over vinegar/juice, seasonings, a little mustard (to help hold it together) and perhaps sugar/honey if it's a sweeter dressing.

That Citrus one would be like 1 cup Olive oil, 1/2 cup fresh juice (like lime), 1 to 2 Tsp sugar or honey, perhaps some Garlic and onion powder and a Dijon or honey mustard to bind it. I also like to use Frozen OJ/Pineapple juice for some citrus dressings too.

Ripe Tomatoes - Diced
    Red Onion - Diced
    Pepperocini's
    Kalamata Olives

For Italian

Romaine again
    Diced Tomatoes
    Cubed Mozzarella
    Pepperoni
    Red Onion
    Mild Cherry Peppers
    Red Pepper
    Artichokes

3 cloves fresh garlic
    1 tsp Dijon Mustard
    1 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp pepper
    1 Tsp Dried Oregano

Ripe Tomatoes - Diced
    Red Onion - Diced
    Pepperocini's
    Kalamata Olives

For Italian

Romaine again
    Diced Tomatoes
    Cubed Mozzarella
    Pepperoni
    Red Onion
    Mild Cherry Peppers
    Red Pepper
    Artichokes

Thank you! So detailed!! I like the idea of chickpeas in the salad
  • Martinez83014
    Martinez83014 Posts: 21 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I like 50/50 baby spring mix with frozen fajita chicken, red bell pepper strips, fresh jalapeno slices, chopped tomatoes, and chopped avocado. Instead of dressing I squeeze one or two orange wedges. I could eat this every day.
  • ap1972
    ap1972 Posts: 214 Member
    Options

3 cloves fresh garlic
    1 tsp Dijon Mustard
    1 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp pepper
    1 Tsp Dried Oregano

Ripe Tomatoes - Diced
    Red Onion - Diced
    Pepperocini's
    Kalamata Olives

For Italian

Romaine again
    Diced Tomatoes
    Cubed Mozzarella
    Pepperoni
    Red Onion
    Mild Cherry Peppers
    Red Pepper
    Artichokes

3 cloves fresh garlic
    1 tsp Dijon Mustard
    1 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp pepper
    1 Tsp Dried Oregano

Ripe Tomatoes - Diced
    Red Onion - Diced
    Pepperocini's
    Kalamata Olives

For Italian

Romaine again
    Diced Tomatoes
    Cubed Mozzarella
    Pepperoni
    Red Onion
    Mild Cherry Peppers
    Red Pepper
    Artichokes

I use a tinned multi bean salad that is great. I especially like kidney beans in salad
  • ap1972
    ap1972 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    The quality of ingredients go a long way to making a good salad, make sure the ingredients are all fresh but making sure tomatoes are nice and ripe
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    For salad dressings, I usually make them my them myself. I have two dressing bottles that I try different things with.

Olive Oil, Balsamic vinegar, with oregano, ginger, garlic powder, salt, cayenne. for example.

another one I like

Walnut Oil, Red wine vinegar, tarragon, parsley, paprika
  • anastasiapuzur
    anastasiapuzur Posts: 16 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    The secret in restaurant dressings is honey or sugar! It really enhances the taste in any salad.
  • jasminetahiti
    Options
    I like 50/50 baby spring mix with frozen fajita chicken, red bell pepper strips, fresh jalapeno slices, chopped tomatoes, and chopped avocado. Instead of dressing I squeeze one or two orange wedges. I could eat this every day.
    ap1972 wrote: »

3 cloves fresh garlic
    1 tsp Dijon Mustard
    1 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp pepper
    1 Tsp Dried Oregano

Ripe Tomatoes - Diced
    Red Onion - Diced
    Pepperocini's
    Kalamata Olives

For Italian

Romaine again
    Diced Tomatoes
    Cubed Mozzarella
    Pepperoni
    Red Onion
    Mild Cherry Peppers
    Red Pepper
    Artichokes

3 cloves fresh garlic
    1 tsp Dijon Mustard
    1 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp pepper
    1 Tsp Dried Oregano

Ripe Tomatoes - Diced
    Red Onion - Diced
    Pepperocini's
    Kalamata Olives

For Italian

Romaine again
    Diced Tomatoes
    Cubed Mozzarella
    Pepperoni
    Red Onion
    Mild Cherry Peppers
    Red Pepper
    Artichokes

I use a tinned multi bean salad that is great. I especially like kidney beans in salad
    ap1972 wrote: »
    The quality of ingredients go a long way to making a good salad, make sure the ingredients are all fresh but making sure tomatoes are nice and ripe

Nice, tasty ingredient ideas. I'd been thinking too much about lettuce and not enough about nuts, avocados, good quality tomatoes etc.
  • jasminetahiti
    Options
    For salad dressings, I usually make them my them myself. I have two dressing bottles that I try different things with.

Olive Oil, Balsamic vinegar, with oregano, ginger, garlic powder, salt, cayenne. for example.

another one I like

Walnut Oil, Red wine vinegar, tarragon, parsley, paprika

I need to try these!!
  • jasminetahiti
    Options
    The secret in restaurant dressings is honey or sugar! It really enhances the taste in any salad.

hmm honey sounds good.. I'm going to try this next time
  • Copper_Boom
    Copper_Boom Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Panera Bread's Poppyseed dressing is available in the refrigerated section of many grocery stores and is only 25 calories per 2 tbsp! It's amazing.
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Made this for lunch today. I wanted some beets for snacking. And decided to make a salad with the leaves.
    Beet Leaves, Kale, quinoa and almonds with a balsamic vinegarette. I added some blueberries also, not pictured.
  • Icrizz
    Icrizz Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    My favorite go to is a spinach base, 1 sliced hard boiled egg, sliced carrots, sliced bell peppers, whatever vegetarian meat I have on hand and then a small drizzle of ranch or some kind of light dressing
  • stacybaker707
    stacybaker707 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I make a spinach and mixed greens salad with bay shrimp (the tiny ones), and it is really good. I keep them cold and they give protein, too!
  • kpsyche
    kpsyche Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Also nice to add to salads:
    Quinoa
    Smoked almonds (I have to be careful with these else I'd eat the whole bag)
    Radish
    Orange segments
    Citrus zest (lime, orange, lemon, whatever is around)
    Celery salt
    couscous