Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Too smart to lose weight?

Options
124»

Replies

• bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    lizzyfit2 wrote: »
    It's not just counting calories and recording them. Its dividing up the calories into the best proportions, ie: carbs, fats, proteins, etc.
    A 1500 calorie a day diet wont do squat if its mainly carbs and fats.
    You don't have to find a "best" macro split. MFP's default has 20% protein, and that works for lots of people.

What do you mean by "A 1500 calorie a day diet wont do squat [...]"?
    Moderation, and proportions. It really does work..
    Yes, it does.

agreed. I've been eating somewhere close to 50% carbs for a year and dropped 100 lbs by simply sticking to a deficit - no particular macro split required.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    I knew it was calories calories calories decades ago.

Until the internet, free online food tracking, and a food scale I just had a hard time calculating...

This site is priceless for the knowledge and ease of use.

Seriously. I had a dog eared Almanac with its 20 pages devoted to calorie counts for food. Calorie counting is so much easier now.

Right? And a notebook to keep track of the calories that you carried with you at all times.

It does take some time to learn to use the tool, but once you do it's like angels singing.

QFT. Love this :blush:
  • WillingtoLose1001984
    WillingtoLose1001984 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    jrulo16 wrote: »
    People are always looking for either quick fixes or a “scientific” reason why they are not to blame for their lack of self control.

I don't agree with that. I think people are too stringent on themselves when they try to lose weight so fail because if that. Using my gamin and adding back some of my burned calories helps so much. I think many medications contribute to weight gain as well because they make you ravenous, like some psych meds or birth control.