Serious question that sounds dumb ?!?

Options
chasetwins
chasetwins Posts: 702 Member
edited April 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
Ok, so time after time I have seen others state that you can not gain muscle when at a calorie deficit. You need to eat in surplus to gain muscle - this usually told to those afraid to lift in fear of bulking up.

If this is the case, you really can only gain muscle in a surplus.. then why are people saying...do not pay attention to the scale because muscle retains less space than fat to people eating at deficit. ( usually put weighs less than, however I find that statement ridiculous )

Honest, serious inquiry please someone explain!

Bit of aggravation after stepping on the scale this AM has brought me to this question

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Are the people saying "don't pay attention to the scale, muscle weighs more than fat" newbies? Usually they have a low posting count, and they just don't know any better. Posters that have been on MFP for awhile usually give good answers and advice--I listen to them.
    If you are trying to lose weight and keep as much muscle as possible, there are several threads running. If you are trying to gain muscle ask Sidesteel, he is taking questions on a thread he opened yesterday and you couldn't get a more knowledgeable guy.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    It is more often water retention that is the reason not to pay too much attention to the scale when incorporating new or more intense exercise, not because of massive muscle gains.

This might help with your question https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/weight-loss-plateau-myth-muscle-weighs-more-than-fat/
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    If some one is new to weightlifting they can still make newbie gains when they first start for a little while. There may be other uncommon situations I'm not familiar with.

Regardless were talking about maybe half a lb (or less) per week, not really something to look for on the scale. Gaining muscle is slow, hard work.

I think the myth that you can gain measurable muscle per week while losing weight is a myth that persists because trainers/nutritionists/diet gurus can use it to placate impatient clients.

You will not lose weight every day or even week, even if you do everything perfect, water weight fluctuations being the most likely reason. And if you don't lose weight for more than 4 weeks, tightening up your logging is probably in order. :drinker:
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    You can gain muscle in deficit but these taper off as you remain in a deficit. Varying factors apply. A person brand new to strength training or someone that has taken a long break from lifting, not too aggressive of a calorie deficit and your are consuming ample protein to support your training and weight loss.

Once you have exhausted 'newbie gains' the primary focal point will be maintaining/minimizing muscle loss as you continue to lose fat. Water weight shifts are part of this process, so if you are not losing take this into consideration.

Adding you don't have to have a surplus, you can recomp which is maintenance calories to build muscle as well.

eta: this link might be helpful.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10611633/gaining-muscle-in-a-deficit/p1
  • chasetwins
    chasetwins Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys soooo much - checking the links now!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You can gain strength in a calorie deficit but less likely to add muscle mass. There's a difference. That's another angle not mentioned above, but not related to the scales which was your question. . Keep up the good work!