I don’t want to be skinny anymore

Options
Hey! I’m Taylor

For a long time I’ve thought that I will always be super slim because that’s just how I am.

I’m 28, 183cm & 58kg.

Right now I think I’m looking for a small change, just some weight gain would nice. I don’t use weights or go to a gym but I have started yoga because the gym environment makes me uncomfortable. I guess I’m very self conscious of my slim build. I am literally starting today with this app, and first off just using the meal calculator. 2200cal per day minimum apparently is what I need to gain .2kg a week.

If anyone has advice on just starting, maybe if there are some home exercises I can do... anything would be great. Or even just to know other guys are having a similar physical and/or mental struggle of this could help my journey.

Thanks

Replies

• comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Are you sure about the calories? I need at least that just to maintain and I'm female, short and old (er)!
    As far as exercise programmes are concerned, there is a sticky thread at the top of this forum about different programmes and also one about calorie dense food (I can't paste the links on my phone) I don't like going to the gym either but there are some good home workouts listed on that thread.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Ps the Which Lifting Program is the best for you? Is the thread you need to read and it's about 4 posts below your post
  • taylorward90
    taylorward90 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Ps the Which Lifting Program is the best for you? Is the thread you need to read and it's about 4 posts below your post

Thank you! I will have a look. Regarding the calorie intake, it was simply just calculated on this app. I really don’t know much about it, I do have to do some research regarding that.
  • taylorward90
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    guys who compete professionally complain that with their shirts on they look malnourished and weak and wimpy at times, But underneath they are beasts....

Thanks a lot. Yeah I do yoga at home so I certainly can find a routine using body weight to start with. I will think about future me more often!
  • SweetPeasMom55
    SweetPeasMom55 Posts: 3,385 Member
    Options
    Ok gym' s freak me out so I know where you are coming from. YouTube has great work outs to try and see what you like.
    Most gyms will let you have a free pass to see if it's a good fit. I pick small studios and even do community education programs at the school. You might like swimming or kick boxing. Also try Groupon I have tried stuff and am always glad I didn't pay full price. LOL
    I have to say mfp is pretty much spot on for calories. I am 51 get 1200 calories it's all the lifestyle you live. I have a desk job the only movement I get is walking in and out of work. Thus I make sure to move every day. Also watch garage sales and Craig's list for any exercise equipment you may like at home.
  • taylorward90
    Options
    guys who compete professionally complain that with their shirts on they look malnourished and weak and wimpy at times, But underneath they are beasts....

Thanks a lot. Yeah I do yoga at home so I certainly can find a routine using body weight to start with. I will think about future me more often!

I had literally the worst gym experience on my second week decided to step my butt into the weight room -My memory is it was all muscled meat head hot men in there but i was a short very fat female then i was likely just scared...

Thanks for sharing that! Yeah I have been a member of a gym before and never went into ‘that’ room because I was the size of those guys’ arms. It just felt like I’d be in the way so I avoided at all cost. I really have to start putting me first, and not being scared of what people think. <3
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    Strength training has been such a confidence booster for me. The first time I bent down and picked my dog up without a struggle felt awesome. One morning while the hubby was sleeping I decided to load up the car with our electronic recycling. I lifted the window AC unit and loaded it into the car without trouble. I felt like a superhero.

You don't have to work out in a gym but please do not feel like you do not belong. Everyone has a starting point.

Do you enjoy yoga? Something that may pair nicely with yoga is "You are your own gym" or "Convict Conditioning".
    https://www.amazon.com/You-Are-Your-Own-Gym/dp/0345528581/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=
    https://www.amazon.com/Convict-Conditioning-Weakness-Using-Survival-Strength/dp/0938045768/ref=mt_paperback?_encoding=UTF8&me=
    You could check your library to see if they have a copy to check it out before deciding if it is something you might like.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    It looks from your picture like you have a pretty awesome shape to start with. Bulking up a little should make you look amazing. Keep doing yoga if you enjoy it, but adding body weight exercises and a calorie surplus will make all the difference.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Hey! I’m Taylor

For a long time I’ve thought that I will always be super slim because that’s just how I am.

I’m 28, 183cm & 58kg.

Right now I think I’m looking for a small change, just some weight gain would nice. I don’t use weights or go to a gym but I have started yoga because the gym environment makes me uncomfortable. I guess I’m very self conscious of my slim build. I am literally starting today with this app, and first off just using the meal calculator. 2200cal per day minimum apparently is what I need to gain .2kg a week.

If anyone has advice on just starting, maybe if there are some home exercises I can do... anything would be great. Or even just to know other guys are having a similar physical and/or mental struggle of this could help my journey.

Thanks

I got sick a few years ago and went from 6'1 and 230 pounds and fairly muscular to 135 pounds skinny fat and sickly. Even after I got over my illness it took me years to gain back even part of that weight and I ended up skinny fat at 180 with over 25% bodyfat (I wasn't lifting, just eating) - which put me in a pretty tough situation. I also was wary about going to the gym again as my self esteem, as far as my body was concerned, was in the pits. I forced myself to go. Now, I was lucky that I already knew how to work out (mostly, had some real bad habits and ideas) and that muscle memory is a real thing - and it's taken me a year and a half of busting my *kitten* to get back over 200 pounds with sub 15% body fat. This included a crazy year long bulk where I ended up over 240 pounds and a cut that required me drop almost 40 of those pounds. ;)

Anyhow - you can do it, but the most important part is to start now. Research programs, research how to eat properly to fuel those workouts and be consistent. The information is out there and this community is a great resource and MFP is a great tool. If you really want this make it your obsession. Read and then read some more. With all the information available online there is absolutely no reason not to be well versed on bodybuilding, nutrition and fitness. Yes, there is a lot of bad information out there - but the more you learn the easier it becomes to distinguish the woo from the real good stuff. Don't quit - consistency! Keep pushing and pulling and in a year or two you will be amazed at the changes in your body.

• TheMetalMan0
    TheMetalMan0 Posts: 64 Member
    Options

I had literally the worst gym experience on my second week decided to step my butt into the weight room -My memory is it was all muscled meat head hot men in there but i was a short very fat female then i was likely just scared...

Thanks for sharing that! Yeah I have been a member of a gym before and never went into ‘that’ room because I was the size of those guys’ arms. It just felt like I’d be in the way so I avoided at all cost. I really have to start putting me first, and not being scared of what people think. <3

Get yourself in there! Everyone starts somewhere and some of those guys with arms the size of you might have started from the same place as you. I'm a similar height to you and started at 50kg, I couldn't even bench the bar when I started, but keep in a caloric surplus and stay consistent with the gym and you'll see progress, which is awesome as you start moving up the weights. It becomes really addictive getting stronger and adding more weight to the bar. Another big thing that helped me was having a set routine that I was going to do. There's nothing worse than walking around thinking "what should I do next?". Makes you feel like a lost puppy.
  • Kadoober
    Kadoober Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I am currently the fat girl in the weight room, and I was definitely intimidated the first few times I went. I was embarrassed to be squatting with just the bar. I was embarrassed because I didn't know how everything worked. I was fumbly and awkward in the face of all of these fit guys, grunting and lifting huge weights.

And then it finally registered that THEY DIDN'T GIVE A HOOT ABOUT ME. They were there to do their own thing, just like I was.

The end result is that now, I don't give a hoot about them either. :) I'm there for ME, the end!
  • billkansas
    billkansas Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I think you should buy the book Starting Strength (Rippetoe) and either buy a barbell, rack, and bench or just buck up and go to the gym. Strength training is meant for skinny guys like you and I. If you follow the linear progression as discussed in the book, your lifts will improve and you'll be lifting a respectable amount pretty soon.

Who cares what you look like? With consistent strength training, you will eventually *know* you are strong. Strength training will probably also improve your appetite and hormones. You've got to eat more... 2100 calories is eating like a bird. I'm 20 years older and a couple inches taller but eat more like 3000 calories per day to maintain.
  • zakbailey7
    zakbailey7 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Trade secret.... In a food blender add: 50g porridge oats, 3-4 raw eggs, 50g peanut butter, 1 banana, 1-2 scoops of whey protein powder, honey (to your taste) and 300mls of milk! This 1 drink alone will provide 1000+ calories and around 100g protein!!! Enjoy
  • TayteHansen1992
    TayteHansen1992 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    We all started somewhere man. As many have said above, the sooner you get to the gym and start lifting some weights, the sooner you’ll reach your goals. Ideally you are best off with a solid workout regiment combined with a calorie surplus.

I started going to the gym 10 years ago when I was 16. I too was terrified of all the dudes with huge muscles, but also oddly looked up to them. In all my years I have never had one bad experience. If you talk to those people and look past your prejudice, you will quickly realize they are no different than anyone else. I actually find most distasteful people do not have a good physique. A good physique shows respect for yourself and commitment, these aren’t the kind of people that need to bring down others. Usually it’s the contrary. They bring people up.

Also, try to keep in mind that no one really cares what anyone else is doing in the gym. They are there for themselves, not to judge others.

If you are that worried about your build. Workout in a hoodie and track pants or something. Nobody will know what is underneath.
  • Meldkro
    Meldkro Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I would say go to buffets and eat anything have not tried before. Fast Food places. Also look up what info you need to put into mfp before going. These place sound unhealthy but if you do it right you can gain weight. Or you can go the route of going body building store and by mass gainer. Most people already given you advice about work outs. So I don't have much advice give there.