Same weight for last month

Options
I have stayed the same weight for last month!! Still keeping to my 1200 calories rigidly why have I stopped losing weight? Started at 13 stone 12 now at 13.7 been like that for one month please any ideas

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    How are you measuring your calorie intake?
  • jennylynn4895
    jennylynn4895 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I weigh all food and drink and everything I eat I write in my food diary straightaway.
  • rj0150684
    rj0150684 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Stalls can be super frustrating. Without more details or an open diary, maybe something here will help:

1. If you aren't already, be sure that you're logging everything. Sometimes people forget about things like veggies, drinks, cooking oils, and condiments. For some people these can add up to enough to halt your weight loss progress.

2. Consider buying a food scale if you don't already have one. They're about $10-$20 dollars in the US and easily found at places like Amazon, Target, and Walmart. Measuring cups and spoons are great, but they do come with some degree of inaccuracy. A food scale will be more accurate, and for some people it makes a big difference.

3. Logging accurately also means choosing accurate entries in the database. There are a lot of user-entered entries that are off. Double-check that you're using good entries and/or using the recipe builder instead of someone else's homemade entries.

4. Recalculate your goals if you haven't lately. As you lose weight your body requires fewer calories to run. Be sure you update your goals every ten pounds or so.

5. If you're eating back your exercise calories and you're relying on gym machine readouts or MFP's estimates, it might be best to eat back just 50-75% of those. Certain activities tend to be overestimated. If you're using an HRM or activity tracker, it might be a good idea to look into their accuracy and be sure that yours is calibrated properly.

6. If you're taking any cheat days that go over your calorie limits, it might be best to cut them out for a few weeks and see what happens. Some people go way over their calorie needs without realizing it when they don't track.

7. If you weigh yourself frequently, consider using a program like trendweight to even out the fluctuations. You could be losing weight but just don't see it because of the daily ups and downs.

8. Some people just burn fewer calories than the calculators predict. If you continue to have problems after 4-6 weeks, then it might be worth a trip to the doctor or a registered dietitian who can give you more specific advice.

This should be a sticky post at the top of the forum
  • jennylynn4895
    Options
    I'm wondering if it's the database? Gong to check calore intake etc separately and see if that makes a difference .
  • rj0150684
    rj0150684 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    If you want to, you can always put in your own entries. It takes a couple minutes, but then it’s just there to use any time you have that food again. I’ve had to do that with some, just took the info directly off the label. Not a big pain at all.
  • jennylynn4895
    Options
    Thank you for your info started doing that today's. Will be weighing myself next Monday morning interesting to see how that turns out.
    Compared a couple of foods on database and my diary and there was a difference in calories. So will scan barcodes for everything and not rely so much on database
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, if you don't weigh a lot, it really doesn't mean much. You can't really track your trend if you only weigh once a week or less often - you could have dropped water weight 2 weeks ago and be retaining water today, and it would show the same weight, for example, when you could actually have dropped 2 lbs of fat in that time.

That's why I weighed every day and watched the trend.
  • strongwouldbenice
    strongwouldbenice Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your info started doing that today's. Will be weighing myself next Monday morning interesting to see how that turns out.
    Compared a couple of foods on database and my diary and there was a difference in calories. So will scan barcodes for everything and not rely so much on database

The barcode only links you to an entry in the database. It's usually quicker and more accurate than searching but it still needs to be checked, I've had a couple that were linked to an overseas version or were just off.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I have stayed the same weight for last month!! Still keeping to my 1200 calories rigidly why have I stopped losing weight? Started at 13 stone 12 now at 13.7 been like that for one month please any ideas

It is hard to know why from person to person. I did not lose the first pound until day 45 but once it started it continued down by 40 pounds before it stabilized with about the same calorie count for the past 3+ years.

Gaining health is more than just an oversimplified view of CICO. Not gaining weight is a type of Non Scale Victory for many of us.

What was your daily calorie count before cutting to 1200?
  • Bocch
    Bocch Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I find that as you get closer to your goal weight the more difficult it is to lose weight. No matter, did you ever think of trying something different? Mix it up, change your food but stay on within MF recommendations. Maybe try an activity to kick start the weight loss?
  • jennylynn4895
    Options
    Hi all thanks for your replies
    My calorie intake before was anything between 1000 and 1800some days I didn't eat a lot then other days seem to gorge not very healthy foods I hasten to add!!
    I not only want to lose weight but eat more healthier.
    I weigh weekly because I was advised to do that by my doc's surgery as weighing daily would fluctuate too much and not give a true reading.
    Will recheck calories on foods I'm eating .
    I realise that perhaps I shouldn't be whinging at least I am not gaining but it is so frustrating when your trying so hard and not losing.
    Cannot do gym at moment broke my foot few months ago and still having problems unfortunately, but try to do as much walking as I am able.
    I want to thank this community for all your help advise and info
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I would also recommend weighing daily, and getting a weight trending app to see your results.
    I don't understand how weighing less often is more accurate - you will still have the fluctuations. I'd rather know that my weigh day was a random high day in an otherwise low weight week than just think I was a high weight.
  • ap1972
    ap1972 Posts: 214 Member
    Options

The barcode only links you to an entry in the database. It's usually quicker and more accurate than searching but it still needs to be checked, I've had a couple that were linked to an overseas version or were just off.

I had one the other day that was for a completely different shop although the same food item with similar nutritional data so wasn't a problem.