Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

New Zealand fish and chip shop donuts/doughnuts

kmsb2
kmsb2 Posts: 4 Member
Has anyone come across the donuts/doughnuts that they sell at fish and chip shops (deep fried covered with sugar and cinnamon, served hot) in the Myfitnesspal food database? I'm trying to add it to my food diary (I know its not an ideal food to consume, its my one "cheat" meal) but all I seem to be able to find is the other type of donuts that you have served cold with icing/jam/custard etc. I am aware I could add the nutritional information myself, however I don't have it so just checking here first before I ask at the fish and chip shop.

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,439 Member
    kmsb2 wrote: »
    Has anyone come across the donuts/doughnuts that they sell at fish and chip shops (deep fried covered with sugar and cinnamon, served hot) in the Myfitnesspal food database? I'm trying to add it to my food diary (I know its not an ideal food to consume, its my one "cheat" meal) but all I seem to be able to find is the other type of donuts that you have served cold with icing/jam/custard etc. I am aware I could add the nutritional information myself, however I don't have it so just checking here first before I ask at the fish and chip shop.

No. But now I WANT to! YUM!

I would log a random doughnut off the database that looks close, personally. I don't have doughnuts that often, so if I'm off by 100 calories once in a great while, it shouldn't matter.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,383 Member
    edited April 2018
    If you bring one home with you, you could weigh it to see how many grams it is. Then you could match it up with a chain shop entry. Is this one similar?

https://krispykreme.com/menu/Doughnuts/cinnamon-sugar
    http://kkd-nutritional-panels.s3.amazonaws.com/2018CinnamonSugarDoughnutRetailPanel.pdf
  • kmsb2
    toxikon wrote: »
    If you bring one home with you, you could weigh it to see how many grams it is. Then you could match it up with a chain shop entry. Is this one similar?

https://krispykreme.com/menu/Doughnuts/cinnamon-sugar
    http://kkd-nutritional-panels.s3.amazonaws.com/2018CinnamonSugarDoughnutRetailPanel.pdf

Thanks for the suggestion Toxikon. I didn't think about looking at the Krispy Kreme website as we only have one (recently opened) store in all of New Zealand and its at the other end of the country. The donut you've suggested looks similar, so I shall weigh mine the next time I have it and compare.
    I'm still quite new to using MyFitnessPal and was a bit iffy about asking the staff at the fish and chip shop the nutritional information for anything off of their menu (I can imagine the funny looks I'd get).
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 600 Member
    Can you post a picture of this donut? Does it have a name?
  • kmsb2
    Mithridites - they are just called donuts. I will be having one post powerlifting comp on Sunday so will take a photo then.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited April 2018
    Can you post a picture of this donut? Does it have a name?

They're just cinnamon doughnuts from the sounds of it...

OP, if you search cinnamon doughnut or cinnamon sugar doughnut, you'll get plenty of entries
  • kmsb2
    hgoblb58p2mf.jpg

This is the donut I was talking about. It doesn't look very appealing as is but they are really nice. I've weighed it (106g) so I can now compare it to the other cinnamon donuts listed on the database.

Thank you for your comments.
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 600 Member
    That looks simple and tasty . Maybe you could get hold of the recipe- it probably has few ingredients.
    Also guessing it’s smaller than most American style donuts in the database.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,216 Member
    We have them in Australia too - they are very tasty eaten hot straight out of the fryer.

IME usually about the size of a mini size iced donut
  • BWA468
    BWA468 Posts: 101 Member
    Aww good i miss those donuts and the nz fush n chup shops :( im a kiwi in the UK. I miss our food!! Lol
  • Leannep2201
    Leannep2201 Posts: 441 Member
    We have some delicious food in NZ!!!!
    **proud kiwi**