Spaghetti Squash

Options
Please help. Am I to cut the squash in half and bake it?

Replies

• Idontcareyoupick
    Idontcareyoupick Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Yep! Throw on some olive oil and salt and pepper
  • Birder165
    Birder165 Posts: 484 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Yes, you can do it that way. I found this on Pinterest although I've never cooked it this way. There's a video to watch giving very precise step-by-step instructions from how to cut to how to bake.

http://www.glutenfreehomestead.com/2015/10/how-to-cut-and-prepare-spaghetti-squash/

I cut mine in half and cook one half at a time in the microwave. I put it flesh side down and add a bit of water (1/4 cup or so) and cook on high for 10 minutes. I use a glass pie dish. Be very careful cutting it ... you need a very sharp knife.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,973 Member
    Options
    Or you can boil it.

However you cook it, when it's done, take a fork to it, almost as if you were shredding meat that you've cooked until it was tender. It will come away from the rind in strings (hence, "spaghetti" squash).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

That's how I do it.

Delicious.
  • stacief82
    stacief82 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I have microwaved it whole (poke holes in it like you would a baked potato), but scooping the seeds and "guts" out after it is cooked is harder than when it is raw in my opinion.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Bake it whole.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »

If you have IP you can place it in there whole for 20min at HP do QR when done. Skin slides rides off and easy to scoop the seeds out too for future roasting and salad topping :)

My sister and I were wondering whether the seeds would be any good roasted. She invited me to dinner last weekend and spaghetti squash was on the menu. I guest we should have tried it. Next time...
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I prefer the cutting in half and baking method as it gets caramelized.
  • CatchMom11
    CatchMom11 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    You can cut it either way. If you cut it length-wise (vertically), the strands are shorter. If you cut it horizontally, the strands are longer. You can also bake it whole. Either way, if you cut in half, scoop the seeds, can use olive oil if you like and sprinkle some kosher salt (this salt is much better for cooking as a little goes a long way for flavor.
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I cut in half and roast, as others have said.

I like to shred it up, saute it a bit with some spices, then serve it in tacos with black beans or even shredded meat.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    How many minutes and what temperature to bake it whole? I'm trying it for the first time.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I cut of the ends and slice it vertically. Then, I spray some foil on a cookie sheet and cook it face-down for about 45 minutes at 375 degrees.
  • LegalMom0928
    LegalMom0928 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    How many minutes and what temperature to bake it whole? I'm trying it for the first time.

I do what many of the others have said. Cut in half lengthwise, scoop out the guts & seeds, EVOO/Salt/Pepper, and then bake cut side down. I bake mine at 375 for about an hour. Cooking time will depend on the size of the squash. You'll know its done when a fork goes through the skin easily and the cut side has just started to brown/caramelize.