Curry recipe anyone?

Options
glitterandsparkle8
glitterandsparkle8 Posts: 34 Member
Hi does anyone have a low fat low calories curry recipe they can recommend please?

Replies

• Billiesocks3007
    Billiesocks3007 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    https://recipethis.com/slimming-world-chicken-curry-in-the-slow-cooker/ I used this recipe as a starting point. I couldn't find Quark nor the yogurt the person was referring to. I substituted Quark for fat free cream cheese and the yogurt Greek non-fat plain yogurt. I also added some almond milk to make some more sauce.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    We use low fat canned coconut milk in a vegan coconut curry recipe, but low fat is relative.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,608 Member
    Options
    My mom's chinese curry recipe is relatively low fat because it doesn't contain coconut or ghee. Brown some skin on chicken thighs. If you use skinless chicken thighs you will need to add a little vegetable oil. Cook onions and chopped garlic in rendered fat. If there is a lot of rendered fat, pour some off and reserve for roasting potatoes. Fry off a few teaspoons of curry powder. Add enough water to just cover the chicken and toss in a couple of chopped carrots, a grated potato, and a small handful of raisins. Simmer uncovered about 30 minutes, turning the chicken occasionally as sauce reduces. Season to taste with salt and pepper. The potatoes should cook down to thicken the sauce.
  • abbynormalartist
    abbynormalartist Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    The below is my absolute favorite. If you keep out the coconut milk and / or paneer it's still yummy and would be low fat. I just throw in whatever veggies I have in the fridge and weigh and record as I go, so the amounts listed below are just a rough guide. If you like spicy curry, double or even triple the chili powder. The below recipe is pretty mild. I like to make a big batch on Sunday to have for a few days through the week.

Veggie Curry

Spice Paste
    • 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
    • 1 large onion, diced
    • 1 tablespoon ghee or vegetable oil
    • 2 tablespoons curry paste
    • 1 tablespoon curry powder
    • 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
    • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
    • 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
    • 1 teaspoon salt
    • 1 teaspoon white sugar
    • 1 teaspoon minced garlic or garlic paste
    • 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger or ginger paste
    • ½ can tomato puree

Veggies / add ins
    • 2-3 red potatoes- skinned and chopped
    • ¼ cabbage – core removed and leaves chopped
    • 1 cup green beans
    • 1 cup cauliflower- chopped
    • 1 cup diced paneer
    • 1 cup peas
    • 1 cup fresh spinach

Misc
    • 1-2 cups of water
    • ½ can coconut milk

Directions
    • Sautee onion in ghee on low/med heat for about 20 minutes until translucent
    • While the onion is cooking, mix the spice paste in a small bowl.
    • When the onion is done, turn the heat up to high and add the spice paste. Stir and cook for 2-3 minutes.
    • Add 1 cup of water and turn heat to low.
    • Add veggies and cover to cook. ** Add veggies in the order of what takes the longest to cook. ** (For example- potatoes first, cook covered for 10 minutes. Then add the cauliflower and cook for 5 minutes. Then add green beans and cabbage. Finally, add spinach, peas and paneer.) While veggies cook, add water as needed it doesn’t get too dry.
    • When almost done, add ½ can of coconut milk.
  • Liamsm0m
    Liamsm0m Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    There are some curry recipes here on MFP.