Diastasis recti and bent over rows

Options
terrie_k
terrie_k Posts: 406 Member
edited April 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
Is it normal to feel 'odd' in your upper abdominals post partum? I'm a year pp and have only really done spin classes since my c-section. I do have a bit of diastasis recti (3 fingers separation) but my doctor won't do anything about it. I've started Stronglifts 5x5 again and felt good with the squats and bench press but the rows felt like I had a hard mass in the bottom or my rib cage. Nothing painful, just not a feeling I've had before, I usually feel my muscles engage lower down with the exercise.

Replies

• julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    You do have a really significant gap. If I were you, I would seek out a pelvic floor physical therapist. They are trained to treat diastasis recti.

I would also stop doing the bent over rows and the deadlifts. Those lifts put a lot of strain on the abdominal wall that can make your gap worse.

Do you have back pain and/or incontenence as well?
    http://pt.womenshealthapta.org/
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    My understanding is that you want to treat diastasis recti sooner rather than later because the longer you wait the lesser the likelihood of successfully closing the gap.
  • terrie_k
    terrie_k Posts: 406 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    You do have a really significant gap. If I were you, I would seek out a pelvic floor physical therapist. They are trained to treat diastasis recti.

I would also stop doing the bent over rows and the deadlifts. Those lifts put a lot of strain on the abdominal wall that can make your gap worse.

Do you have back pain and/or incontenence as well?
    http://pt.womenshealthapta.org/

I have a 2-3 finger gap depending who does it. I spoke with my doctor and she just told me it is what it is really. So maybe I should push to see a PT (my benefits require a drs note so i cannot go around talking with my Dr about it again). I did have an unscheduled c-section and didn't make it too far into labour so I have no other issues post pregnancy that many do with natural births (incontinence, heavy feeling below.. etc).
    I do have back pain but I chalked it up to a return to work and not being physically ready for it. It is mostly upper back and shoulders so I was hoping the lifting would improve my core and get my back feeling better then before.
  • artbyrachelh
    artbyrachelh Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I agree with above advise to see a PT. And chiming in with my own experience: I had 1-2 finger gap after my latest and had one session with PT, and in months following did recommended exercises (pretty sporadically). Side planks, side crunches; basically focus on your lats. Good luck!