How to work out how many calories you are burning

Options
Hi I am following 1200 calories a day and not losing weight. I have a very sedate lifestyle, sitting at a desk all day and absolutely knackered when I get home. Everyone says you have to eat less calories than you are burning, but surely I shouldn't go lower than 1200?
I weigh and count everything I eat/drink (almost OCD).
Appreciate any help here. Thanks

Replies

• MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    Opening your diary will help others perhaps pinpoint something you're missing. Also how much more do you have to lose? If it's a small amount, losses may be hiding behind fluctuations.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,072 Member
    Options
    yud210a2oc4p.jpg
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Not losing over how long of a time frame?
  • allipops26
    allipops26 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I lost 3.5 stone back in 2012 had maintained that for a while i am now back to being about 10lbs over. I have been logging calories for months andi may lose half a lb but the gain a lb the follo
    wing week.
    I do take levothyroxine and my levels are supposedly good.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,072 Member
    Options
    allipops26 wrote: »
    I lost 3.5 stone back in 2012 had maintained that for a while i am now back to being about 10lbs over. I have been logging calories for months andi may lose half a lb but the gain a lb the follo
    wing week.

With so little to lose your accuracy has to be really spot on and your loss will be very slow.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    when was the last time you had your blood work tested?
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    With just having 10lb to lose you do really have to be extremely accurate in your logging/calories. Can you do a walk or something each day for even 20 to 30 mins? anything to help create a bit more of a calorie deficit will help.
    If you have been going up and down by the same few pounds then you are eating at maintenance calories, tighten the logging and you will see progress - and have patience because it's gonna be slow.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    wing week.

When is the last time they checked your levels, and did they run anything beyond a TSH?

Are you *sure* that your logging is completely accurate? Your diary looks like it's missing quite a few days. Before getting into a tizzy over the thyroid, try four weeks of absolute meticulous logging first, and then see what happens.
  • DaniCanadian
    DaniCanadian Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    The last few pounds are “vanity” weight (meaning you’re in a healthy weight range for your height already). It is going to be extremely slow loss, especially for women. Our hormone fluctuations make us more prone to bloat and water retention. It’s possible that is hiding your progress.
    I also suggest you YouTube how to properly weigh and track your foods just to double check that you’re doing it correctly and that your log is accurate.
    And finally, add in a bit of exercise and see if that helps. Find something you enjoy doing because a workout doesn’t have to be torturous. There’s a channel on YouTube called fitness blender, a husband and wife team with awesome workouts and a huge variety. If you’re tired after work then something like yoga or Pilates could be a good option too.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    When was the last time you took a break from deficit eating?
  • allipops26
    Options
    wing week.

When is the last time they checked your levels, and did they run anything beyond a TSH?

Are you *sure* that your logging is completely accurate? Your diary looks like it's missing quite a few days. Before getting into a tizzy over the thyroid, try four weeks of absolute meticulous logging first, and then see what happens.

I have to admit last weekend i lost the will to carry on logging. But got back on it on monday.
    My bloods were done about 2 weeks ago. On the nhs we cant ask for anything more than badic blood test.
  • allipops26
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »

Last weekend i lost the plot for 2 days!
  • allipops26
    Options
    The last few pounds are “vanity” weight (meaning you’re in a healthy weight range for your height already). It is going to be extremely slow loss, especially for women. Our hormone fluctuations make us more prone to bloat and water retention. It’s possible that is hiding your progress.
    I also suggest you YouTube how to properly weigh and track your foods just to double check that you’re doing it correctly and that your log is accurate.
    And finally, add in a bit of exercise and see if that helps. Find something you enjoy doing because a workout doesn’t have to be torturous. There’s a channel on YouTube called fitness blender, a husband and wife team with awesome workouts and a huge variety. If you’re tired after work then something like yoga or Pilates could be a good option too.

Thanks will have a look
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Hi I am following 1200 calories a day and not losing weight. I have a very sedate lifestyle, sitting at a desk all day and absolutely knackered when I get home. Everyone says you have to eat less calories than you are burning, but surely I shouldn't go lower than 1200?
    I weigh and count everything I eat/drink (almost OCD).
    Appreciate any help here. Thanks

When you signed up for MFP you entered in an activity level. Sedentary already gives you "credit" for a certain amount of activity. http://www.fitnessforweightloss.com/rate-your-activity-level-based-on-steps-per-day/

What MFP doesn't give you credit for is deliberate exercise. When you log additional activity (above sedentary) MFP will give you an estimated number of calories for that activity. Some activities are harder to estimate than others. An activity tracker (like a FitBit) is a good estimate for step based activity. You can sync these type of devices to MFP, so you know when you are sedentary.....or above.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »

Last weekend i lost the plot for 2 days!

I mean a more extended break. Like 2 weeks at maintenance.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10604863/of-refeeds-and-diet-breaks/p1