Numbness, Pregnancy, and Recumbent Biking

Options
Disclaimer, just in case this has anything to do with it, I am 14 weeks pregnant.

Just used my new [to me] recumbent stationary bike yesterday for the first time. Loved it! I did 30 min on there to start and burned 190 calories. I noticed my right foot started to go numb and then so did my right butt cheek. I tried to move around a bit to see if I couldn't wake it up. Is this normal? Something to worry about? Am I just right side dominant? Just thought I'd see if anyone had any insight!

Replies

• JMcGee2018
    JMcGee2018 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I would talk to your doctor before you start any new exercises while pregnant. The typical advice is to stick with what you already do, so if you weren't biking before you might want to check with your doc, especially if you're experiencing numbness from it.
  • artbyrachelh
    artbyrachelh Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I would guess the bike could be adjusted better for your frame. Can you lower the seat? Or bring handlebars closer? Also I've read in these forums that the shoes could be causing numbness, if they're tied too tightly? Numbness is annoying, but normal, it's just a temporary lack of circulation. I'm not saying ignore it, but I don't think it's related to your pregnancy. I get it sometimes when I'm jogging, and I believe it's due to my posture and shoes, maybe even socks! Congratulations on your pregnancy!
  • iWishMyNameWasRebel
    iWishMyNameWasRebel Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I always have this problem with new exercises that keep me in one position or that are repetitive in a way that puts my weight on something a lot in a way I'm not used to. If it's sitting, my butt (one side or both, just depends) will go numb, and one or both feet with get tingly. If I haven't used the elliptical in a long while, my feet will hurt the first couple of weeks I'm back on it (or longer). I have to shift a lot and/or change strides, etc. until my body adjusts and improves the circulation to that spot.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    It's because you're new to this exercise. But please see your doctor and get their ok to exercise in this way during your pregnancy. Its different for those already exercising and then falling pregnant but better to get a professional opinion in your case.

Congrats btw :smile: