Planet Fitness Member Discussion (not a PF hate thread)

Options
2»

Replies

• skibbles50
    skibbles50 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have been on MFP on and off for a few years now.. I recently joined PF and LOVE IT! I am able to go before work 5 days a week and feel great! At this point still trying to figure the gym out to get the most of my hour.. My MAIN goal is to loose weight.. As far as the PF Bashers..... You can't please everyone all the time.. If you don't like it there, simply GO SOMEWHERE ELSE... AND, what is a lunk alarm?
  • AnnieLewandowski302
    AnnieLewandowski302 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Love it! Budget friendly and has what I need. Mine recently added TRX, and I used that before at another gym so was really happy to have that back in my routine. Everyone is super friendly and I'm able to get in a good workout to supplement my other activities (I practice Krav Maga and enjoy running).
  • huntersvonnegut
    huntersvonnegut Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    Nope. Still can't post what I'm trying to.
  • jnapier44077
    jnapier44077 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it for about 2 months. I can't beat the $10 a month. I have a setup at home but this just so much more equipment there for me to try.
    I can't figure out why Mondays after work are so crazy busy but then it tapers off all week and by Friday there is about 1/4 of the people there.
  • slorge
    slorge Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I joined a couple months ago. I'm 53 and I've never really been to a gym since grade school and the closest thing I've ever done to a workout was playing Wii Fit Plus regularly. I've been almost everyday since I've joined and have never felt uncomfortable, even though I'm old and really out of shape.

TBH, I only joined because I found out through United Health Care, there is a wellness program called Rally, and they're supposed to give a $20 fitness reimbursement per month, as long as you go 12 times a month. So I'm a black card member for $2 a month! Check your health insurance, you may have something similar!
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    spartan_d wrote: »
    Yeah, I've heard the "lunk alarm" once in almost a year. It was this quick "bweep!" that was only about half as loud as the dropped weight was. I feel like (at ours at least) it's a reminder to do what's safe and reasonable and helpful to YOU rather than "competing" and trying to outdo the person before/beside you. Which, I'll admit, is something I'm tempted by!

It isn't really a safety issue, though. PF itself says that the lunk alarm is to discourage "intimidating" behavior, e.g. exercises that might make other people feel bad about themselves. Hence the prohibitions against basics such as overhead presses and deadlifts.

Anyway, while I would never use PF myself, I do tell people that it's possible to get a good workout there. For good functional training though, it will require a lot of self-education. This means becoming knowledgeable enough to ignore all their bad advice ("Deadlifting is only for bodybuilders! So is bench pressing!" "Relax and go at your own pace," etc.) It also means resisting the temptation to indulge in all the fattening foods that they provide. (Hint: Most Americans DON'T need any urging to indulge in an occasional cheat meal. Heck, they probably have way too many cheat meals as it is.)

Ideally, it would also require supplementing the PF session with additional work outside the gym, so that one can focus on movements that they prohibit or aren't equipped for. Deadlifting, for example, and well as higher intensity cardio (the kind that will pretty much make people grunt and groan).

But yes, you can still get some useful workouts there. I know some guys who are in great shape, but who still go to PF because it's cheap. They do more intense and functional stuff elsewhere. Or they discreetly hide from the staff to do high-intensity burpees and other things that might set off the lunk alarm.

I do deadlifts and overhead press at PF all the time....

Have you actually been to one?
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it for about 2 months. I can't beat the $10 a month. I have a setup at home but this just so much more equipment there for me to try.
    I can't figure out why Mondays after work are so crazy busy but then it tapers off all week and by Friday there is about 1/4 of the people there.

Pretty common pattern in all gyms. I'm guessing guilt from weekend excess drives a lot of folks in on Monday.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,217 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    annaskiski wrote: »
    Yeah, I've heard the "lunk alarm" once in almost a year. It was this quick "bweep!" that was only about half as loud as the dropped weight was. I feel like (at ours at least) it's a reminder to do what's safe and reasonable and helpful to YOU rather than "competing" and trying to outdo the person before/beside you. Which, I'll admit, is something I'm tempted by!

It isn't really a safety issue, though. PF itself says that the lunk alarm is to discourage "intimidating" behavior, e.g. exercises that might make other people feel bad about themselves. Hence the prohibitions against basics such as overhead presses and deadlifts.

Anyway, while I would never use PF myself, I do tell people that it's possible to get a good workout there. For good functional training though, it will require a lot of self-education. This means becoming knowledgeable enough to ignore all their bad advice ("Deadlifting is only for bodybuilders! So is bench pressing!" "Relax and go at your own pace," etc.) It also means resisting the temptation to indulge in all the fattening foods that they provide. (Hint: Most Americans DON'T need any urging to indulge in an occasional cheat meal. Heck, they probably have way too many cheat meals as it is.)

Ideally, it would also require supplementing the PF session with additional work outside the gym, so that one can focus on movements that they prohibit or aren't equipped for. Deadlifting, for example, and well as higher intensity cardio (the kind that will pretty much make people grunt and groan).

But yes, you can still get some useful workouts there. I know some guys who are in great shape, but who still go to PF because it's cheap. They do more intense and functional stuff elsewhere. Or they discreetly hide from the staff to do high-intensity burpees and other things that might set off the lunk alarm.

Really? I've been to a couple. They don't have DL platforms and only lighter preloaded barbells. The heaviest DB's I've seen was a set of 80's which is problematic for some people. Are you talking about OHP and DL in the Smith Machine? I guess technically, you could do that but I find the fixed planes of a Smith hard on my joints. I don't recall even seeing plate loaded hammer machines for that version of the OHP.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    slorge wrote: »
    I joined a couple months ago. I'm 53 and I've never really been to a gym since grade school and the closest thing I've ever done to a workout was playing Wii Fit Plus regularly. I've been almost everyday since I've joined and have never felt uncomfortable, even though I'm old and really out of shape.

TBH, I only joined because I found out through United Health Care, there is a wellness program called Rally, and they're supposed to give a $20 fitness reimbursement per month, as long as you go 12 times a month. So I'm a black card member for $2 a month! Check your health insurance, you may have something similar!

My health care insurance company does the same thing. Works out well. Go to the gym 12 times free, considering the re-imbursement.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    annaskiski wrote: »

I've been to 3 different ones in town...I have never been to a PF that had a platform and bumper plates which are necessary for heavy dead-lifts unless you want to jack the floor up. Most of the people I saw doing DLs at PF weren't actually doing DLs...they were doing RDLs or similar which is an accessory movement...and most of them were doing them with dumbbells or pre-weighted bars. One of the PFs I tried didn't even have Olympic bars or plates of any kind.

They don't allow Olympic lifts either...and most I've been in don't have a squat rack, or if they do it's limited weight and there is only one of them.

I used to use PF in the winter for cardio...
  • shunggie
    shunggie Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I had been going to one about 20 minutes from my house, I worked from home and it was fine. I have since changed jobs and was never going so I cancelled. Now that I've been in the new job for awhile, there is one on the way home. I'm going this afternoon to rejoin. I'm excited. I used to do the weight machines and the 30 minute workout 2 days a week and either the bike/treadmill/elliptical machine 2 or 3 days a week. I'd rather walk outside, but now that it's too hot I miss the exercise. I heard the lunk alarm occasionally at the old location- we'll see how the new one goes. I love PF and the haters ... go somewhere else ;)
  • hansonlisa1
    hansonlisa1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I do love PF. I am a university place member and was a little disappointed with how long it took to remodel the place, but it turned out great. I am a black card member and it is totally worth it. never have to wait for a machine. I LOVE the red light therapy booth. it works wonders on my skin and pain. and you can go as many times as you wish a day. the hydro therapy beds are wonderful, and again you can use it as much as you like. Tanning beds are a great perk as well. where else can you go and get all these spa options and a nice gym for 21$ a month? I realize there are a lot of people out there whom complain because they cant drop their weights on the ground etc, but there are plenty of gyms out there for hard core weight lifters. ive been going to gyms all my life and do lift weights, and this gym works out just fine. I mean, your not going to get much help with training and classes etc, but I don't need that. I think the candy on the counter is dumb as well as pizza night, that doesn't help if your just getting a weight loss routine going, but to each their own. I don't have to take it lol!
  • shunggie
    shunggie Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I've been back at it for a few months now and LOVE IT! I travel for work and have tried 5 different locations and have only had positive experiences.
  • dragonghost
    dragonghost Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    To be honest if it was more then $10 a month it would not be worth it with the lack of classes an lack of equipment though at $10 a month i can justify the cost since i use it for cardo an do weights at home.
  • jogetsgains
    jogetsgains Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Before I moved I would do the ab circuit. It was great.