Ab workouts (single muscle group vs entire core workouts)

Options
I never look forward to doing abs. I been doing the same ab workouts for a few weeks and then stopped recently since I feel unmotivated and no longer feel the burn. Plus it takes longer when you're doing 4 sets of 25 of each ab workout. 9-10 in total. What's better to do, multiple ab workouts that focus on different parts of your core or a few entire core workout that doesn't take too long. If so, what kind? I no that doing about 100 reps for each muscle group in my core is tiring, and I just want to find better ab workouts that work the entire core where I don't have to do as much but I do want to feel the burn. Any ideas?

Replies

• mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    A lot of people don't directly train their core at all. Pretty much every compound movement will hit it. Straight arm cable pull downs, while not specifically for core work it really, really hard. Pull-ups are great. If you really want to feel the burn, try holding a hollow body position for 1-2 minutes. Pike and straddle straight leg lifts, L-sits using parallettes/bars/rings, skin the cats, levers, ab rollout (work towards standing rollout).
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,989 Member
    Options
    I developed a 6-pack (plus other muscular definition) and never did a single isolated ab exercise.

Just compound lifting and weight/fat loss achieved this.
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    You cannot "spot" train different ab muscles. They all engage no matter what ab exercise you perform. There is also no sense in spot training as it is not efficient and will not give the desired results. Your best use of your time is to do a more balanced workout and not focus on one body part.
    That many reps focusing on one muscle group is not the best use of your time. Instead focus on whole body workouts and you will automatically trim the areas you want and have a more balanced focus.
    This is standard advice that I give as I am a certified weight trainer and currently completing my fitness instructor certification as well.
    Too many people focus on one body part they want to change without realizing it is not possible. Overall cardio and strength training will eventually provide the results you are looking for. Be patient and it will come, a few weeks is not long enough. It takes at least 10-12 weeks to settle into a routine before you should adjust it and you have not given yourself enough time.
    The journey to better health, or more strength, is not a race. It is meant to be slow and steady for the best and safest results.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Why so much core work?

I usually throw in 2 sets of abs at the end of each workout, they get less direct work than every other muscle, but they are engaged for a large majority of the exercises I do, which is more efficient to get worked that way without wasting time on abs directly
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Here's the ab workout we do as a warmup for Aerial classes. You definitely feel the burn.

Without pausing, laying on back:
    Round1 - 6 crunches, 6 tucks, 6 russian twists, 6 legs over head (don't know name for this, but you bring your legs over your head to touch the ground, then lower them to float a couple inches above the ground before next rep. It's like toes to the bar on the ground)
    Round2 - 6 crunches, 6 pikes, 6 pike russian twists, 6 legs over head
    Round3 - 6 crunches, 6 V straddles, 6 scissors in V position, 6 legs over head.

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    "Feeling the burn" has nothing to do with an exercise being beneficial or offering any particular results.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    My abs hurt reading this. And ditto what he ^^^^ said!
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Yes, if you want large abdominal muscles. Not me.
  • JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    We do an ab workout every workout at 9Round. Instead of doing so many reps per set, try doing as many as you can for 3 minutes. There's so many ways to work your abs, knee ins on an exercise ball, the ab wheel, flutter kicks, etc. One that was particularly brutal was from a plank position, reach your right arm out & tap the mat & back in, then do the same with your left arm, then your right leg, then your left. That 3 minutes couldn't end quick enough.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Here's the ab workout we do as a warmup for Aerial classes. You definitely feel the burn.

Without pausing, laying on back:
    Round1 - 6 crunches, 6 tucks, 6 russian twists, 6 legs over head (don't know name for this, but you bring your legs over your head to touch the ground, then lower them to float a couple inches above the ground before next rep. It's like toes to the bar on the ground)
    Round2 - 6 crunches, 6 pikes, 6 pike russian twists, 6 legs over head
    Round3 - 6 crunches, 6 V straddles, 6 scissors in V position, 6 legs over head.

IF you're feeling the burn from your ab workout, you may not be able to walk the next day.

To the original question.

Just do planks.

Work up to 5-10 minutes as below. Start with 2-5 minutes.

1. Floor plank-Lay flat on your face/belly(Think Superman pose) beginning with your toes, introduce tension into your muscles maintaining tension as you go until you are tense from head to toe. Pay special attention to glutes, and abs. Hold for 15-30 seconds then release the same way.
    2. High Plank-Same as above, but as the tension passes through your shoulders, begin to draw your arms under your shoulder blades and finish in a "pushup position" Hold 15-30 seconds to begin.. but no more than 120. -Lower to floor and release tension as before.
    3. Low plank-Same as above, but after a brief pause at the top, lower to 90 degrees arm bend for 5-10 seconds before reversing up, and relaxing down and out. This one can be held for up to 30 seconds if desired.

Don't try the low plank until you can hold the high for 45 seconds or so. IF you don't have a timer or someone time for you, use breaths/heartbeats... 1 natural(not exaggerated) slow breath(in/out) is about 5 seconds.

Once you master the above series, incorporate knees to elbows and shoulder touches.

Once you master the shoulder touches-incorporate weights... starting with 15-25 lb dumbbell/Kbells

Can also do "standing plank" like 1. but with arms at sides.